Thanks for the welcome WiscTiger. We've had our new GSD pups (Bonnie and Clyde) for 2 weeks now. Loving every minute of them and their energy. My 81-year-old dad chuckled at me when I named them. I said, "hey what better way to make someone take a second or 2 to think when you are walking along with 2 full-grown shepherds than to say this is Bonnie and Clyde" hahahahaha. Honestly, after getting Bonnie, there was only one option for a male.....and it fits him.

We have 4 barn cats - Cali, Casper, Butters and Bruiser. They are p***ed to say the least. After we had to say goodbye to Max, our Rottweiler mix, the cats thought they were kings and queen. Now they are cussing us.

Bonnie and Clyde have discovered our chicken coop and run. They are not too sure of these dinosaur looking things that make noise. It's all good for the chickens - they are safe and secure and the dogs are leaving them alone. Funny to watch the pups try to figure them out though.

I am amazed at just how alert our pups are to everything. We are in the NE Georgia Mtns so planes are few and far between flying over our particular area. The dogs are so in tune with everything going on around us they actually stop and watch the planes!

I've been around Shepherds all my life but never owned one. Didn't feel we would be doing one justice working full time, living on a 1/3 acre lot in a subdivision and on the run with 3 kids. Now we are retired, husband retired in 2012 at the age of 50 from a Fire Department in the suburbs of Atlanta. I elected to retire in 2014, at the age of 44, from the same department and get out of the 'burbs. Max came with us and quickly decided he'd rather be roaming 4 fenced acres than cooped up in the house with us old folks. He was an awesome 'alarm' to let us know if anyone was coming to our driveway gate. But he also barked at the neighbors, cats, leaves blowing....etc etc and so on. He managed to scare off a 400+lb black bear once with his bark alone. Ran coyotes off too and was always proud to show us his actions.

I say all that to say Bonnie and Clyde are already showing all the signs of good GSDs (from everything I've read and know about the breed). They are not aggressive, just cautious....they look to us and our body language before approaching anyone. We have been steadily introducing them to people. Our neighbor is the one that will care for them in the event we have an emergency. He's awesome and such a dog lover. He comes regularly to see them and they love him. They have met the mailman and are making friends with him too. We are working every day with them to make them well-rounded loving dogs.....with due caution. They are so ready and willing to please, it's amazing ! They seem to have figured out hubby is my protector (although I'm completely able to protect myself) but if he's not around, they stay by my side. Walk with me, stop if I stop, and if they see someone they don't know, they get right in front of me and sit down. Absolutely no aggression, just general caution. When I say "walk" they approach with me and look to me for guidance as to how to advance. For example, Bonnie likes to bring food and water bowls to us if she feels they aren't up to standard. Hubby went out to build a box to house the bowls to deter the dumped bowls. It was cold and he had on a big coat and hood they had not seen. They stopped right in front of me and waited until he spoke and they recognized his voice.

If y'all can't tell, I'm in love with my Bonnie and Clyde - the dynamic duo on our farm.

Bonnie Belle Von Nikheim
Clyde Whitfield Von Gittheim