Sorry to hear about Zisso's problems. I second Bonnie's comments about Cholodin. Zisso is 10 now, so CCD (canine cognitive disorder) could be a possibility. Heidi (age 12 now) was (and still is) often restless at night, wandering, squeezing in corners, staring at walls, and sometimes getting really scared. Cholodin did wonders for her.

A couple of months ago, she seemed to be getting much worse in all the above behaviors, plus she would get panicked out of the blue once (sometimes more) times a day and would shake, pant, pace, and try to get behind our chairs, almost knocking a lamp over in the process. She also lost her appetite and was down to 52 lbs. And on top of that, she started having what looked like small seizures. The vet couldn't find anything wrong so we took her to a veterinarian neurologist (who we weren't impressed with) who recommended an MRI and spinal tap. No way were we going to do that at her age. I started researching hypothyroidism and had her blood levels checked and found that her thyroid levels were low normal. We put her on a low dosage of thyroid medicine and the results have been pretty amazing. Better appetite, no more seizures, more balanced, and sleeping through the night most nights. She still has her moments but she is MUCH better than she was before.

I hope you can find out what is happening with Zisso. It's so hard to figure out how to help them with their issues when they get older because so many things can go wrong. Keep us posted!

Heidi, 11-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California (http://www.savegsd.org)

Sheba, GSD/Malamute angel