German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 ... 42 43 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3462 - 02/17/10 10:01 PM Mr. Max's Issue(s)
vio79 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts
I know I promised I wouldn't start a thread until I had an update. But on the other board, someone mentioned in another person's "itchy dog" thread that maybe it could be change in climate. And I got to thinking - Max was shipped up here from Kentucky and the bad itching started in October.

Could there be any way his itchies are somewhat related to the cold, dry climate up here? I know that I'm super dry and somewhat itchy as a result, unless I slather myself in lotion. Anyway, a thought. Something to look out for as the weather gets warmer and muggier...

This is assuming he's no better by late spring on his current program.

thinking

Top Likes: 0 
#3598 - 02/18/10 01:17 AM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: vio79]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
It's always possible.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#3604 - 02/18/10 01:38 AM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: MaxaLisa]
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tracy, perhaps. I am sorry that I don't know all of your dear Max's story. I know itchyness is such a frustrating condition for us and for our GSDs. The worst I have dealt with was horrible frantic itching in my last GSD. It turned out to be the human joint supplements from Walmart that I gave my dog. The vet said those made for humans can make dogs terribly itchy sometimes, as the fillers needed to make them easy to swallo and hold their shape for people , well, those fillers can cause itchyness. Some dogs tolerate those fillers fine. Many others don't. Any chance he is on any human-type joint supplements or vitamins? Sending good thoughts for your Max!

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz

#3713 - 02/18/10 10:25 AM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: Braverhund]
vio79 Offline
Enthusiast

Patti - I will try and summarize all 20+ pages from the other board:

The Problem - Max has been itchy since the beginning of October. (This, after a string of other issues since we adopted him last May plus elbow dysplasia in both front legs and arthritis in both knees.)

What we have tried:
- Ivermectin
- Temaril-P and Prednisone
- Hypoallergenic diet (Prescription Z/D)
- Raw diet
- Dermatologist
- Two weeks at the vet (Atopica, "sterile" environment, etc.)
- Thyroid panel and blood serum panel
- Comfortis
- Metacam
- Holistic vet

Now we're on prednisolone, adequan and the Natural Balance LID (venison & sweet potato) and plan to stick with it for next few weeks. If that doesn't work, we'll see. To answer your comment, we used to have him on a human Glucosamine supplement but stopped that since we're using Adequan.

Suggestions/Comments given over the past couple of months:
- Stem cell therapy
- Autoimmune issue?
- Vitamin E, Ester C, salmon oil
- Infamazyme
- Raw diet
- Preventic collar

That's just a really abbreviated summary and list of everything! I am not really giving enough credit to the people who have posted over and over to try and help me with my Max issues. They know how much I appreciate it! thanks

Edited by vio79 (02/18/10 10:27 AM)
Edit Reason: didn't answer the original question

#3982 - 02/18/10 04:30 PM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: vio79]
kaisersmom Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northwest OH
This is going to sound really simple, but maybe it's worth a shot after all you've been through!!

Kaiser used to get itchy in the winter - not as bad as Max, but still itchy.

He sleeps in our bedroom and I had a cold last month and I've been using a humidifier/vaporizer at night. We also started putting a teaspoon of olive oil in his food back in November or December, and this year he has not had any troubles with itching at all!

So maybe getting a humidifier and/or a vaporizer and putting it in the room he spends the most time in might be something to try. And if he's not allergic to it, the olive oil might be helpful too - just a teaspoon is all we use.

Marshall Dillon or Dillon - 15 months old
Kaiser - 11 1/2 yrs old - At the Bridge
Ray (Radar) - 8 yrs old - At the Bridge

#4058 - 02/18/10 06:47 PM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: kaisersmom]
vio79 Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: kaisersmom
This is going to sound really simple, but maybe it's worth a shot after all you've been through!!

Kaiser used to get itchy in the winter - not as bad as Max, but still itchy.

He sleeps in our bedroom and I had a cold last month and I've been using a humidifier/vaporizer at night. We also started putting a teaspoon of olive oil in his food back in November or December, and this year he has not had any troubles with itching at all!

So maybe getting a humidifier and/or a vaporizer and putting it in the room he spends the most time in might be something to try. And if he's not allergic to it, the olive oil might be helpful too - just a teaspoon is all we use.

We have thought about that. The only issue is that our whole house is open concept, so there is no "room" he spends all his time in. We could try using one in our bedroom at night, like you do. Do you have one of those really fancy humidifiers? Because we have one already, but it's just one of the $20 Vicks ones from CVS. Not sure I want to invest hundreds in one of those fancy ones.

Could also try olive oil, though will probably hold off until we've kept him on this diet for a while. Though I read somewhere (maybe Give Your Dog a Bone?) that using opened oils, like what we use for cooking, isn't good for dogs because the oil has been exposed to air, or whatever. I also heard someone mention oregano oil.

Wouldn't it be nice if this all turns out to be a winter itchy thing??

#4409 - 02/19/10 09:28 AM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: vio79]
kaisersmom Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northwest OH
Quote:
Do you have one of those really fancy humidifiers?

Nope! Ours is one of those $20 Vicks-type things also! We do have a humidifier built into our furnace, but I don't think the thing has worked coorectly since we built the house 12 yrs ago and we might as well not even have it. Our house is pretty much an open concept also, so I understand how it would be difficult to pick a room to put it in - but if he sleeps in your bedroom most of the night like Kaiser does, it might work!

I had read in a magazine somehwere about the olive oil so we gave it a try - we use EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) - if it's good enough for Rachel Ray, it's good enough for Kaiser! smile I hadn't heard that about the open oils, but it seems to be working for us.

That would be great if Max's issues were just due to the winter itchies!!

Marshall Dillon or Dillon - 15 months old
Kaiser - 11 1/2 yrs old - At the Bridge
Ray (Radar) - 8 yrs old - At the Bridge

#4511 - 02/19/10 02:16 PM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: kaisersmom]
Woodreb Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
Olive oil is mostly a mono-unsaturated oil so it is not very reactive and, therefore, much more stable after opening.

On the other hand, vegetable oil and most other oils have more poly-unsaturated oils in them (like omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids). These are more reactive when exposed to air and/or heat.

I'm not sure about oregano oil.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#4827 - 02/20/10 01:04 AM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: Woodreb]
bjdimock Offline
Addict

Have you looked towards a behavioral problem? Could Max be having an anxiety problem?
I have 2 dogs in my house right now that present with odd behaviors.
Sika will sneeze when she is feeling stressed. (Sika is my 4th Fidelco foster pup who is trained to work in harness, but couldn't quite get over leaving home.) It's interesting to work with her now. She has learned how to guide a blind person with great skill, so walking with me can stress her out. If we come to a curb and I don't stop, she will. And then the sneezing starts.....
Fenna is my 5th foster and now a breed dog for Fidelco. Starting from week one when she is bred, she starts scratching. Her skin is beautiful, her coat is fantastic, and if I ever saw a flea in this house, I would drop dead.
It really seems to be connected to pregnancy only...
Have you tried a calming remedy yet?
Have your exercise, walk times, or general house behavior changed because of the cooler weather?
7 cool cats!
3 beloved equines
and of course Mr. Frodo

#11341 - 02/27/10 03:08 PM Re: Mr. Max's Issue(s) [Re: bjdimock]
vio79 Offline
Enthusiast

@bjdimock: Max could be suffering from anxiety, which is why we're trying to de-stress his life.

Anyway, Max has a UTI now. So he needs to be on Amoxicillin for the next three weeks. Poor dog can't get a break - it's one thing after another! And of course he showed no signs. We only found out because we saw blood in his urine today. But his urine has smelled weird for weeks now, so I really hope he hasn't been dealing with it for THAT long!!
teary

Still itchy but we decided to stop the Prednisolone and see how it goes. If he's still itchy once the weather gets warmer, we may have to try the prescription diet again and then add in one thing at a time.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 ... 42 43 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
BOING
by DancingCavy
09:59 AM
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Mary Jane), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20334 Topics
324512 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts