German Shepherd Home
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#114987 - 12/15/10 10:38 AM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: Woodreb]
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some of the articles I found said that unless the flax is fresh ground the O3 immediately starts to degrade.

Top Likes: 0 
#115019 - 12/15/10 12:39 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: Woodreb]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: Woodreb
Caleb used to happily eat the bird seed we put out for the birds - that would fall into their yard. I can say that you pretty much find the whole seed in their poops, so it's no different for them than it is for us. The whole seed really isn't digestible.

I should have specified...I'm not just putting whole flax seed in her treats, but griding it and mixing it in.

#115028 - 12/15/10 01:09 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: GSDElsa]
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
I was just responding to Leah's comment about not being sure the whole seed is digestible for dogs, just like it is for humans.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#115123 - 12/15/10 05:39 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: Woodreb]
3K9Mom Offline
Addict

Quote:

It is easy to assume that higher amounts of omega-3 would mean more health benefits, but this is not necessarily so. Remember that omega-3 consists of many different types of fatty acid, and each type has a different effect on the body. Flaxseed oil contains very high amounts of &#945;-Linolenic acid (ALA ), but what is more beneficial especially in the treatment of dog arthritis is Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which is found in fish oil. Also flax seed is not nearly as well absorbed as the fish based omega-3.

http://www.dogarthritisblog.info/dog-joi...s-flaxseed-oil/

This has always been my understanding as well. After all, why do we put our dogs on grain-free diets? Why do we put dogs with renal failure (who have always been told to avoid high-protein diets) on high MEAT protein diets. Why do raw feeders try to find meat-based vitamins and minerals instead of just using veggies and fruits (which are often easier to use and *can* be cheaper)? Because the dog absorbs vitamin A faster from liver than from sweet potato and iron faster from red meat than from spinach.

Because they are essentially carnivores.

Do I use ground up flax seed here and there? (Which by the way, you can get it -- organic -- at Costco, for a great price, and it's already ground if that's easier for you). I do. But I don't count on it as anything other than a minor supplement to my "real" O3 supplements of fish oil (with Vit E and selenium) and real fish.

With a dog that can't handle fish oil in its "oil" form, I would feed sardines and mackerel and see if she could tolerate it.

Then flax seed.

Anyhow, that's my two cents. smile

#115128 - 12/15/10 05:48 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: 3K9Mom]
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel

When I was researching the O3's for Banshee's cancer and Jax's HD, my understanding was simply increasing O3's was not the answer. IT was the ratio of O6 to O3 that needed to be looked at because both are important.

It's important to remember that the flax seed's O3 comes in the form of ALA that the body has to process into EPA/DHA. I know I read that the ALA in flax seed starts degrading as soon as it's ground so to get hte best benefit it should be freshly ground. I, too, would look for a source of O3 that is already in that form.

Sardines have alot of EPA/DHA in them but they also have alot of added salt. You can find the smaller cans without added salt.

If it's a horse, then I want the ALA because that is the form they naturally eat in grasses.

Edited by LifeAsMe (12/15/10 05:49 PM)

#115186 - 12/15/10 08:20 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: Woodreb]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
I was just responding to Leah's comment about not being sure the whole seed is digestible for dogs, just like it is for humans.

Oops, sorry! I thought you were kind of warning me against using it in her treats.

#115189 - 12/15/10 08:27 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: GSDElsa]
DancingCavy Offline

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Has Elsa ever tried sardines? I know she has issues with fish (so does Ris) but I've found sardines are pretty good. I also rinse some of the salt off of them before feeding them.

Big Lots has them for $0.75 per tin (they sell for over a dollar in most of the grocery stores). Price Chopper carries canned Mackerel as an alternative but it's more expensive. I haven't priced it recently but I think it's over $2 per 15 oz can.
It Just Keeps Getting Better: Risa's Blog
Pet Portraits

#115190 - 12/15/10 08:37 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: DancingCavy]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

I've been thinking about sardines since we talked about them on the walk the other day! No, we haven't tried them yet. Maybe I'll give that a try. She gets the runs with such a teeny amount of fish oil (like a smidgen of a dribble from a capsule!) so I had been avoiding fish alltogether but maybe this will be a chance to experiment a little more.

Digestive issues with dogs = total paranoia to fix what isn't broken sometimes!

#115212 - 12/15/10 09:24 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: GSDElsa]
DancingCavy Offline

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Originally Posted By: GSDElsa

Amen to that!

It's tough, for sure. I would probably start with really REALLY small amounts of fish just because you know she's had issues with fish before. You don't want to send her off the deep end. Experience has taught me that what you can mess up in a day often takes weeks to fix. wink
It Just Keeps Getting Better: Risa's Blog
Pet Portraits

#115407 - 12/16/10 12:50 PM Re: Elsa Has HD--Glad We Got Those X-Rays [Re: DancingCavy]
DianaB Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: DancingCavy
Originally Posted By: GSDElsa

Amen to that!

It's tough, for sure. I would probably start with really REALLY small amounts of fish just because you know she's had issues with fish before. You don't want to send her off the deep end. Experience has taught me that what you can mess up in a day often takes weeks to fix. wink

I agree with this too. We have the fish oil and the dosing will be about 4 capsules total, but we cut a tip in the capsule and only add 1/4 capsule each day to be sure we don't have any issues. We're up to 1 3/4 and (knock on wood) so far so good. Once we have that done and it's been a couple weeks with no issues at full dose, then we will add in the vitamin c in small doses too. I've learned the hard way that slow and steady wins the race. Too fast (or too many changes) makes us go back to square one if we can't figure out what the item is giving her the tum troubles.

Good luck!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
Yesterday at 10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Major’s Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20445 Topics
325915 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts