Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107126 - 11/22/10 04:41 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: Kayos]
DianaB Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Kayos
I would think that noise and lots of it would alert wildlife and most of them should naturally flee from you. I would use the bear bells and consider a long line instead of off leash.

I think this is a nice compromise. Any tips on how I convince my stubborn boyfriend that this is what he should do?? I'm sure he will try convince me I am being irrational/paranoid/crazy, etc...but I also don't want to go into a panic every time he goes hiking there!) I never want to have to say "I told you so" because that means something bad has happened.

I've been a hiker for years and never encountered any wildlife (except the occasional sole coyote, maybe 2 at a time (who watched us very closely from afar). As i get older, I think of these things more and more (and get more timid). I just avoid them (not that that is good either).

Top Likes: 0 
#107139 - 11/22/10 05:43 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: DianaB]
Islandgsds Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Ca...
Diana I'm so glad you started this thread. We are considering a move and it would be in thick bear country. Going hiking is one thing but having them around the house is a little unnerving to think about. I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I would love pointers as to ways to avoid encounters around the house.

#107166 - 11/22/10 07:11 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: Islandgsds]
DianaB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Islandgsds
Diana I'm so glad you started this thread. We are considering a move and it would be in thick bear country. Going hiking is one thing but having them around the house is a little unnerving to think about. I don't want to hi-jack this thread but I would love pointers as to ways to avoid encounters around the house.

No worries on the hijack (and it's not a hijack!) I think this is good info for everyone. I know my immediate need is not regarding bears, but other smaller 'park' animals smile

#107288 - 11/22/10 10:48 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: DianaB]
wonderdog Offline

We have a lot of bears in our area. A friend of the family has a daughter who had a goat for 4H. Last year sometime, her goat was killed by a bear. Since then they got another goat, but have been leaving a dog outside with the new goat at night. No problems...but just recently they brought the dog in for ONE night, and the bear came back and killed their goat again.
I don't think most bears would mess with a large dog but a bear bell would be good so there are no surprises. But I don't know about mountain lions frown
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
Gizmo and Cricket the JRTs

www.hghclubnortheast.com

#107341 - 11/23/10 12:49 AM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: wonderdog]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
I think I would simply insist he keep her on a long line. Is she your dog or his? Perhaps she is both as you have a relationship. But if it came down to it I would remember who wrote the check for her. As you are not married he or she who wrote check owns dog.

My dogs are pretty well trained but I can not compete with deer or enticing wildlife unless I opt for an e-collar.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#107363 - 11/23/10 02:57 AM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: Kayos]
DianaB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Kayos
I think I would simply insist he keep her on a long line. Is she your dog or his? Perhaps she is both as you have a relationship. But if it came down to it I would remember who wrote the check for her. As you are not married he or she who wrote check owns dog.

My dogs are pretty well trained but I can not compete with deer or enticing wildlife unless I opt for an e-collar.

We own Siena together. She came out of our joint expense fund wink

I will only take Siena off leash at one of our local bike/horse trails where there is limited places for her to go. My control is not nearly as good as Siena's (I take leashed walks 90% of the time).

I learned there were two humans and three dogs present during the attack. The dogs went down an embankment to the creek for some reason (maybe they heard something). Two of the dogs came back to the humans and they heard the other one being attacked. They suspect the animal (mt. lion) was drinking from the creek and thought it a good opportunity to get an 80# dog for lunch. Broad daylight, middle of the day. Probably less than a half mile from one of the park entrances.

Man, Sure has been on my mind a lot today.

#107447 - 11/23/10 11:58 AM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: DianaB]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
just recently i heard that there have been mountain lion sightings in my local hiking park. WHAT?? there have been no postings -- most parks around this area post that there have been sightings-- or local newspaper coverage. i just recently have started hiking on the cattle trails again now that they are green and th esummer thorn bushes are gone and although they are not in a wooded area i would imagine that we would still be easily seen and could be taken out. i hope the fact that there are always cows and deer about,would make us "not worth it"... which area did the initial "dog" snatching happen? and were the wildlife officials able to confirm a cat sighting? oddly enough in the high sierras, where we usually do our summer hiking, fishing and camping, we have never seen a bear (have had a pack of coyotes come close) i dont mean to say theya re not there, just have never seen or smelled them. now, down in south lake tahoe, in some of the most populated areas, we have seen bears galore. never thought of using bear bells, but am thinking about it now....

Edited by Schnickle Fritz (11/23/10 11:59 AM)

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

#107484 - 11/23/10 01:19 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
DianaB Offline
Veteran

This incident happened in Hayward, at Garin regional park (part of East Bay Regional Parks & Rec) about half a mile in from one of the entrances (not a main one, but one that has access off a residential street). The area was heavily wooded, although half of the park looks like your pics below and is out in the open. I have not seen anything on the news or reports about it specifically. It is, however a HUGE park.

We have, however, had multiple mountain lion sightings in the immediate area to the point last year there were two goats killed on a local ranch and one person was able to capture the lion in the brush just outside the home. At that time, because we are in the immediate vicinity of the park, we had a reverse 911 call from the local authorities with a warning to bring in the kids, etc. Of course, after the two goats, he was probably full and moved on.

I do know they are always around us, we just rarely see them. I think having the deer around is generally a good sign that the area is clear. In our area, the cattle move in for about half the year, then go somewhere else for the other half (where, I don't know). I think the cattle will be coming back now that it is winter.

#107736 - 11/23/10 09:14 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: DianaB]
Cassidy's Mom Offline
Veteran

Loc: SF Bay Area
Oh wow, how horrible! I have heard of occasional mountain lion sightings in the regional parks. I would definitely be concerned about walking my dogs off leash in Garin after this incident. I wonder about walking at Chabot, especially if I'm out on the trails beyond the paved path by the lake. I do keep them on leash there because of all the poison oak, even though the trails are off leash under voice control. If either one of them saw a squirrel they'd be in the bushes before I could stop them, and while I could get them back they might be covered in poison oak, so we stay on leash. It's all good practice for leash skills anyway, and they get plenty of off leash exercise at Point Isabel or Fairmont Ridge.

I hope Richard is very careful now that this has already happened to one dog. I don't know if they would be so bold to attack with a human present (or attack a human, yikes!), but I sure wouldn't take that chance.

#108225 - 11/24/10 11:39 PM Re: Effectiveness of Bear Bells? [Re: Cassidy's Mom]
Kayla's Dad Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: S.F. Bay Area
Thanks for the pm on this Diana. What you've describing sounds like another mountain lion episode. I remember the mountain lion sighting a while back at Garin. That was near the main entrance. Kayla and I have walked through the middle of a coyote pack coming around a blind corner on the north side of the park and seen a few wild boar and skunks. The pics below were taken at Garin near Zeile creek.

The turkey population boom has made the area a great food source for the green belt.

One of the things I have done is to carry my phone and play music on it while walking through the valleys and wood/creek parts of the park.

I don't use the Tamarack entrance though we have hiked up near to it. Know several folks who do however and will make sure they are aware of the circumstances.

BTW, the deer? Favorite food source for Mt Lion so do not let their population/presence lull you. As you indicated, a large a very diverse park.

Edited by Kayla's Dad (11/24/10 11:39 PM)

Kayla 02/12/05 - 09/22/14
Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/15

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Mars is sick-loosing control
by Mary Jane
01/20/18 04:13 PM
My dear sweet Eli
by Shilohsmom
01/20/18 12:28 AM
Bark box
by Islandgsds
01/19/18 05:58 PM
Gracie turns 12 today!
by GraciesMommy
01/18/18 08:30 PM
Emergency Clinics Client perspective
by middleofnowhere
01/17/18 04:35 AM
Xile z Weberhaus
by elisabeth
01/14/18 04:55 PM
Not good news
by DarkEyes
01/14/18 07:47 AM
Happy 14th Birthday, Risa!
by DancingCavy
01/13/18 06:18 PM
Getting ready to say goodbye to Heidi
by Selzer
01/13/18 01:11 PM
The flu
by MaxaLisa
01/11/18 03:19 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
end of year tax stuff
by middleofnowhere
12/31/17 10:17 PM
Wishing all GSDHome Members Happy New Year
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/31/17 09:45 AM
Could use some healing thoughts
by Islandgsds
10/16/17 12:53 AM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/13/15 10:49 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Chondropaw Team, susie, Memphis, Wren, Nancy Poggi, RowdyRanger, LisaMarie Shaffe, BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn
2871 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2871 Members
100 Forums
20362 Topics
324898 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts