German Shepherd Home
Page 46 of 183 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 182 183 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98652 - 10/27/10 01:13 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: LJsMom]
myamom Offline
Veteran

Loc: PA
Good to know Joanne! No more tramadol. I'm not saying she wasn't having breathing issues to begin with...but the panting was so over the top coinciding with the use of the Tramadol...that I really believe it was the culprit in exacerbating her breathing issues.

She is taking a nap. She is still panting when walking.. I did get her down the steps and up by herself (have no choice as I can't lift her)...and that did take a toll on her breathing...but sleeping...she seems more comfortable than she was. Last night she couldn't sleep at all...just panted.

I'm tiptoeing around the house...just want her to rest...

thank you for all the support, thoughts, prayers (and flowers from handsome cain)...maybe we can pull her through again...I pray...in any event...you have all helped me so much...

Top Likes: 0 
#98654 - 10/27/10 01:15 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: myamom]
matsired Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: myamom

The panting was so excessive last night. Dare I even say...she seems to be resting a little right now. Not panting...still stomach breathing though.

Hi Maryann, just seeing all the updates on Cheyenne. So sorry she is not feeling well.

I can only speak from my own experience with my seniors. I've had three that panted heavily when they were sick. Red panted because he had cancer and started bleeding. Chewbacca went to bed panting. I thought it was the heat, left him with water in his bed, and he had died during the night. I have no idea what the specific cause of his death was, but I'm assuming the panting was pain related.

Then most recently, Sherman. Never saw a dog pant the way he did. And shaking simultaneously. This was all pain related due to spinal disease, probably bulging disc in his neck. I put him on the highest doses of Prednisone, Tramadol, and Doxycycline allowed. At about 84 pounds, he was maintained on Tramadol 200mg three times per day to manage his pain while the Doxycline and Prednisone worked magic on reducing inflammation. And bedrest of course.

When he was first seen, they only put him on 50mg of Tramadol, and later I realized, it was not nearly enough to make him comfortable. It was very hard to watch him shake and pant like that. My regular vet upped his dosages of Tramadol and Prednisone by 4x! It was that or euthanize him. That was his last shot, and it worked well.

Not sure what is causing Cheyenne to pant that way, or what her dosages of meds are, but at her age with little to lose by maximizing her meds, it may be worth a discussion with your vet.

Volunteer work: http://gsrne.org/

'Nannie Millie' book: http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.aspx?bookid=55245

#98672 - 10/27/10 02:48 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: matsired]
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Massachusetts
Wise words from Donna. thumbup Mary Ann, Cheyenne is so very lucky that she landed in your expert care. Perhaps upping her pain meds will be the comfort she needs to be able to relax, let tension leave her body as the pain lessens. I put my last senior on some substanially high pain meds-- and saw him finally be able to relax, walk, move comfortable, and he clearly seemed more settled in general. Chey is such a beautiful girl in the best hands possible, recieving top notch care with you. Sending good thoughts Chey's way!

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehŲrt mein Herz

#98723 - 10/27/10 06:14 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: Braverhund]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario
Thinking of her and you....

Wild Winds Archangel Raphael "Stark", HIC, TT
G Wild Winds Zephyr "Zefra" BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
" XX " z Weberhaus

#98768 - 10/27/10 09:50 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: elisabeth]
myamom Offline
Veteran

Loc: PA
Thank you every single one of you. I am sorry if I sounded hysterical this morning...but I was. This is all so scarey

She rested alot today..panting on and off. She ate a good dinner and went up and down the stairs on her own....she refused to let my husband carry her...tough Georgia girl that she is. Walking seems a little better today. Breathing is bad upon walking and especially doing the stairs. The panting isn't constant anymore...dare I say I see a teeny tiny improvement?

Had her chicken soup today. It seems to help her.

Cain had his mommy Linda call me today. It was soo sweet...he wants her to send me a harness to try on Cheyenne to help her on the steps. Always thinking of his girl...Cain...you are too sweet..and so is your mom!

So..that's our update. Again...that you to everyone for helping me through this!! You will never know how much this means!! Praying for a peaceful night....

#98798 - 10/27/10 10:35 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: myamom]
lorio Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I think the harness is a great idea to help her out on the days she is having problems. That will help ease your mind as well when you're alone with her and need to get her up and down. Sweet dreams Granny Chey and know we're all your biggest fans! Love ya Chey & Mary Ann!

Kaspar-9 yr WGSD
Nixie-7 Qyr GSD
Ayden-7 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)

#98809 - 10/27/10 11:00 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: myamom]
Kris Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Keep that chicken soup in her Mary Ann. No concrete proof, but some scientists believe that there are anti-inflammatory properties in chicken soup!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3958/is_200306/ai_n9276864/

Max didn't do well on Tramadol either. It took me a while to realize that his rear end swaying was from that. At least I'm pretty sure that was the problem, because when I took him off it it, his stability got better. However, he was on Rimadyl for a year. I know some people have had problems with it, but it was great for him. Never had any adverse reactions and I had my vet check his bloodwork every three months. Acupuncture was the other thing that kept him going.

I know it's scarey. Nothing is going to take that fear away, but try to enjoy each and every day with her. We can't predict what's going to happen and sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in the caretaking and kind of forget the joy of their existence. I'm glad she's feeling a little better. Every day is a blessing! hugging
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey

#98825 - 10/27/10 11:50 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: Kris]
cainsmomma Offline
Addict

Loc: Kentucky
Hey Mary Ann, I'm getting ready to upload a video my mom did of me and emailing to you. I'm telling Cheyenne to "get better"...you can tell by the video what I'm saying. She is so pretty and I am having my mommy send you a harness to see if that will help her. I wish she wasn't so far away from me......but she still can be my girlfriend. I love you Chey baby!

Love, Cain
Jaxx - GSD
Tisha - GSD
Josh - GSD
Sammy - Shar-pei
Tyson - Boxer
Maggie - Minature Schnauzer 6/1998 - 1/2012
My Cain - WGSD 7/2000 - 6/2014

#98833 - 10/28/10 12:18 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: cainsmomma]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
Chama became completely whacked out on Tremadol. I think it's a mild narcotic? Anyway, I'm glad to hear that she is moving on her own today. I think the harness is a great idea and my grandmother certainly would endorse chicken soup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We Jews use it to cure everything. wink

Hang in there Chey! We are all pulling for you and the Comeback Kitten sends you especially good recovery energy! She is lying across my arm right now channeling healing energy into every letter I type. smile

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#98902 - 10/28/10 07:26 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: BowWowMeow]
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Queensland. Australia
I am so happy to hear she is a bit better today. Sending you both all my most healing thoughts and prayers hugging
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.

Page 46 of 183 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 182 183 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Canít Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/21/13 10:27 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Mary Jane), 57 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
tajinder, Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice
2900 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2900 Members
100 Forums
20458 Topics
326103 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts