German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137107 - 02/27/11 11:44 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Kayos]
lhczth Offline

Administrator and LOTR addict

Loc: Michigan, USA
I go to classes more to just get my puppy out and about a lot of other dogs. I train on my own and don't follow what goes on in the class, but I have been around for a long time so they all know me. I do like the intro to agility class for the pups. From what you have described you will probably not need the classes except for the occasional drop in session for something different to do.
SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB IPO2 KKL B/HOT (the ugly little sable), Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD and gone, but not forgotten: Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Top Likes: 0 
#137113 - 02/27/11 11:55 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Kayos]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
i think the question is "how serious are you about schutzhund?". i raised fritz in a working dog way in that i didnt do alot of corrections while young. didnt encourage jumping up on us, but didnt correct it, didnt encourage him biteing and mouthing us, but didnt correct it. never played the "chase me game" with him (us chasing him) always played tug and encouraged that. i never let him get into a scarey situation, and if something happened that was scary to him i never reenforced his worried reaction just patiently waited untill we could reapproach the thing/person/situation. that being said i also took him everywhere and encouraged all kinds of environmental contacts. like the construction zone, the horse shows, the folk festival, the mondio championships... my trainer was not at a petstore or the city, our early training was just us and maybe a few others who where about the same level or at least working on a compatable issue. now we are a demo unit. while i want to do schutzhund, and am now with a club, i wanted my dog to be well rounded in anything i do. rally, herding, OB....all of it. that being said, though, my main goal is to have a dog that i can take absolutely everywhere with me and know that he will behave. that is the most important thing- a true GSD. alot of schutzhund/ringsprt folks i know dont think that way. they have thier dogs for sport only.

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

#137126 - 02/27/11 01:15 PM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario
Besides the point about not doing any "pet obedience" that is how I raised Stark - and not with SchH in mind, I just wanted a well rounded dog.

I did a lot of foundation work with Stark that WAS ALL WRONG so when we joined the club we needed to correct that (positions, heeling, focus, squashed his drive which I am happy to say has improved 10 fold at this point from where it was).

I NEED a dog who I can take everywhere and do everything with yet will still kick some butt out on the field.

One thing I enjoy doing with my dogs is trying a bit of everything (herding, agility, might like to try flyball) and would like to include the newest addition along with that.

SchH is my main goal and I would like to title in the sport with at least 1 dog (not sure if Stark will be able too, we have a little ways to go still) but like I said, I really need a dog who is comfortable and confident in any situation I put him in because of my lifestyle.

Wild Winds Archangel Raphael "Stark", HIC, TT
G Wild Winds Zephyr "Zefra" BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
" XX " z Weberhaus

#137182 - 02/27/11 05:49 PM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Kayos]
Northern GSDs Offline

Loc: Northern British Columbia
Originally Posted By: Kayos
Me thinks Elisabeth is getting serious puppy fever!!! smile

Oh yes!!! I would say Elisabeth's temperature is sky rocketing! Better get some Tylenol and cool compresses grin

GSDs
Brodie (Shelter Rescue). Jun '99-Oct '11. Missing You xoxo

Jax vom Kiebitzende (HOT) SchH1 HIT

#137238 - 02/27/11 08:58 PM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Northern GSDs]
Liesje Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think even raising a puppy w/ Schutzhund in mind there is a lot of variation because there is still a great deal of variation among the dogs. I prefer dogs with a bit of a higher threshold and not nutty prey drive, so my Nikon and Pan have both been relatively easy, well-mannered puppies without much effort on my part. Neither have been mouthy to me at all, never even had to work on or train this. They are not the dogs that chase and bite anything that moves. Pan bit our pants but that lasted about a day. I tend to give my puppies quite a bit of freedom with the other dogs because I don't kennel or crate-and-rotate so everyone needs to learn to get along, plus I think there are some things that dogs do together as far as play and teaching life lessons that I cannot substitute. That said, none of my other dogs over-correct a puppy so that has never been an issue. If anything, I will step in eventually because the puppy is getting too rambunctious.

I did puppy classes with both Pan and Nikon but it was more for us to just get out and proof things like eye contact and self-control around other dogs. I don't train the same way as my puppy class trainer but she respects that. We just kind of do our own thing. I don't do any of the exercises like letting someone else handle my dog, and I don't use puppy class for dog-dog socialization. I've never had issues with puppy class being detrimental, but going in I already know how I plan to train the dog as far as SchH and I know how to tailor the puppy training so that the dog isn't getting mixed messages.

Likewise I've never had issues with agility either, but like I said above, SchH is my priority and how I train in any other venue is tailored to compliment SchH. We do agility, dock diving, herding, rally, and now flyball and lure coursing. I loved doing agility with Nikon (we can only do it May-Sept), I think it obviously helped with his jump technique but also self-control and staying biddable and attentive while in drive, and more problem solving opportunities.

As far as the general raising and training of puppies I really don't think I'd raise a non-SchH dog any differently than I've been raising Pan and Nikon.

#137305 - 02/28/11 12:01 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: elisabeth]
Wayne Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: elisabeth
I did a lot of foundation work with Stark that WAS ALL WRONG so when we joined the club we needed to correct that (positions, heeling, focus, squashed his drive which I am happy to say has improved 10 fold at this point from where it was).

I NEED a dog who I can take everywhere and do everything with yet will still kick some butt out on the field.

You are saying the same things I have been saying the past couple of years....I totally get how you are looking at training, the GSD you want, and what you'd like to accomplish.

You're on the right path running these things to ground and planning.

Which is not to say I don't love Dayna to pieces!!!!! but Indy is different.

#137308 - 02/28/11 12:12 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Wayne]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think some/maybe most people think that I am very critical of Stark and I am BUT that doesn't mean I don't love him more than my own life. I love this dog - he has taught me soooo much.

I am a better owner/handler/trainer/GSD enthusist because of him.

I am VERY honest in OUR abilities and want to ensure that the next dog to come home with me is what I am looking for in all aspects (companion/working partner). I love Stark but like I said, I see things in him that I am not 100% happy with. Not his fault, not the breeder's fault, not my fault - I will just know what to look/not to look for in the future.

" XX " z Weberhaus

#137316 - 02/28/11 12:46 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: elisabeth]
Jason L Offline
Pooh-Bah

Elisabeth, you are doing a great job with Stark and will do an amazing job with your next pup, I just know it!

#137318 - 02/28/11 01:02 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Jason L]
Lexi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jason L
Elisabeth, you are doing a great job with Stark and will do an amazing job with your next pup, I just know it!

Agree wholeheartedly! thumbup

#137322 - 02/28/11 02:27 AM Re: Raising and training a puppy with schH in mind. [Re: Lexi]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys!

I try my best! wink

" XX " z Weberhaus

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
05/24/18 10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
2 registered (jlstudent1970, Quinnsmom), 38 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20445 Topics
325918 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts