German Shepherd Home
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#322740 - 09/11/14 07:16 PM Re: Let's Talk About What You Feed Puppies... [Re: GSDElsa]
New gsd owner Offline

I been feeding my 6 month old Fromm LBP and Orijen LBP. Currently on Orijen.

Top Likes: 0 
#322742 - 09/11/14 08:14 PM Re: Let's Talk About What You Feed Puppies... [Re: New gsd owner]
PaddyD Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Massachusetts
Stay with what your puppy tolerates. Don't keep switching.
=====================

#322810 - 09/13/14 05:54 PM Re: Let's Talk About What You Feed Puppies... [Re: PaddyD]
New gsd owner Offline

Question, i feel that my puppy has mild allergy to chicken and id like try switching to 6 fish Orijen but the cal/phos is 1.6/1.4 % which seem higher than recommended for large breed puppies . He just turned 6 month at the 12th of september. Any opinion ?

#322839 - 09/14/14 11:32 AM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: Barb E]
Thomas Offline

The breeder had told me to switch my dog to adult food at 6 months to slow down growth. Kane was doing well on Wilderness puppy but doesn't not like the adult version of this food. I have to mix in a little chicken broth to get him to be interested in it. I'm at a crossroads now. Do I keep him on Wilderness but just try switching flavors or do I try a new food altogether? With it being hot outside I did expect him to eat less which he has been but he would still eat his puppy food. At least one of his two feedings. He is not interested at all in the adult version and if I didn't mix the broth in, I think he wouldn't eat at all.

#322847 - 09/14/14 05:18 PM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: Thomas]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
If he doesn't like the food and won't eat it, I think you are going to have to change? Is there any difference in the actual ingredients, other than a difference in percentages of stuff?

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#322888 - 09/15/14 08:54 AM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: MaxaLisa]
Thomas Offline

Pretty much the same ingredients but the puppy formula includes chicken fat which the adult doesn't. Other than that, they look the same. I guess it's back to square one. Someone had recommended I try Taste of the Wild Pacific stream formula. I noticed the calcium is 1.9 percent and Blue is 1 percent. Do you think 1.9 is a too high?

#322893 - 09/15/14 11:22 AM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: Thomas]
New gsd owner Offline

I thought the large breed puppy food made to slow down growth ?

#322896 - 09/15/14 12:48 PM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: Thomas]
PaddyD Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Thomas
The breeder had told me to switch my dog to adult food at 6 months to slow down growth. Kane was doing well on Wilderness puppy but doesn't not like the adult version of this food. I have to mix in a little chicken broth to get him to be interested in it. I'm at a crossroads now. Do I keep him on Wilderness but just try switching flavors or do I try a new food altogether? With it being hot outside I did expect him to eat less which he has been but he would still eat his puppy food. At least one of his two feedings. He is not interested at all in the adult version and if I didn't mix the broth in, I think he wouldn't eat at all.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but dogs have been with us for at least 12 million years. For 99.99%
of that time there was nobody who cared what percent fat, calcium or protein, etc they ate because
they ate what they could scavenge. Yet they persisted and are still with us. Now, all of a sudden,
everyone is an expert as to the minute measurements and percentages of what type of food
they should have. And most of the experts disagree with all the other experts.
It just seems logical to me that a dog will grow at the rate determined by his genes, assuming
adequate nutrition is available.... also that s/he will make use of the amount of minerals and
nutrients s/he needs and excrete the rest. Saying that adult dog food will slow down
a dog's growth just doesn't make sense to me. But then I am far from an expert.
I see many different dogs every day and most of them are fed Iams or Purina or Beneful or
other grocery store quality foods. They are all healthy and happy and happily owned by
owners who 'don't know any better'. I think that many of us get all wrapped up in the details
and become subject to analysis paralysis when all we need to do is feed our dog a good
quality food that they tolerate.
=====================

#322933 - 09/16/14 03:41 PM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: PaddyD]
Thomas Offline

Originally Posted By: PaddyD
Originally Posted By: Thomas

I'm not sure of the exact number, but dogs have been with us for at least 12 million years. For 99.99%
of that time there was nobody who cared what percent fat, calcium or protein, etc they ate because
they ate what they could scavenge. Yet they persisted and are still with us. Now, all of a sudden,
everyone is an expert as to the minute measurements and percentages of what type of food
they should have. And most of the experts disagree with all the other experts.
It just seems logical to me that a dog will grow at the rate determined by his genes, assuming
adequate nutrition is available.... also that s/he will make use of the amount of minerals and
nutrients s/he needs and excrete the rest. Saying that adult dog food will slow down
a dog's growth just doesn't make sense to me. But then I am far from an expert.
I see many different dogs every day and most of them are fed Iams or Purina or Beneful or
other grocery store quality foods. They are all healthy and happy and happily owned by
owners who 'don't know any better'. I think that many of us get all wrapped up in the details
and become subject to analysis paralysis when all we need to do is feed our dog a good
quality food that they tolerate.

Well said. I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree. I assume the "slow down growth" comes from the less protein percentage? I don't know as I am not an expert either. My main concern is finding a food that my dog thrives on and makes him regular. So far, some of the "best" foods have not done the trick. I went with a food, won't mention the name to be fair, that is considered a premium food but not one of the better ones, and so far he is very excited to eat because he loves it. Still in the mixing new food with the old food stage and he tries hard to spit out the old stuff lol. As of right now, he is doing very well on it. Normal stools. I am just happy that he is eating.

#322935 - 09/16/14 04:33 PM Re: Puppy food recommendations please. [Re: Thomas]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
From your post higher up Thomas, it sounds like your boy might not do well on chicken, so that will have to be a guiding principal in what food you choose.

If I had a large breed pup and was feeding dog food, I would probably switch to adult food rather early too. There are reasons the large breed puppy food was developed, and I've seen a good explanation for them, but I don't recall it off the top of my head. I've never had a dog that could tolerate the "top of the line" kibbles, always had to go with more simple foods. I'm glad that the new food is working well!

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
Yesterday at 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
Yesterday at 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
Yesterday at 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20332 Topics
324498 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts