German Shepherd Home
Page 18 of 31 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148371 - 04/12/11 12:17 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
DnP Offline
Addict

Loc: Rensselaer County, NY
I'm not a big fan of journaling stuff, but I've become journal queen with Phoenix. Only way to keep track of things as my mind gets older...LOL

GREAT to hear that Mason is doing well on the raw chicken. And gotta do the happy poop dance for ya!!! poop Who knew one could fall in love with nice hard poop,eh?

I know my vet has tried to have me balance Phoenix's heat w/ the foods I'm feeding him (eliminating all "hot" foods like salmon, venison, etc)

I think it took us a good two to three months of acupuncture and giving the herbs until I saw some improvement. Of course, I have been giving the allergy shots the whole time. Our real test is going to be when we stop those after this last vial of serum.

Interesting diagnosis on the mites! Can't wait to hear updates on how Mason is doing!

Phoenix (Brightstar rescue) aka Booger...because I picked him.

RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006

Top Likes: 0 
#148760 - 04/14/11 12:20 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: DnP]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY
Haven't noticed any major changes yet, except the change in his stool. He's still itching , and has started a new "itch" spot on his back leg that he is pulling hair out of frown

Yesterday morning, while I was in the shower, he snuck into the cat food container and ate some food frown I don't know how much but I am hoping that won't set us back any, as it has grains in it. He has never bothered with it before. I have since moved it out of his reach, so he can no longer access it!

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

UKC CH SG Falcon PacHaus BH AD CGCA TDI

#148841 - 04/14/11 02:13 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
I'm not sure if I should post this, but...

Max's allergies are so severe that he reacted to all of the things that all the vets had me try. I got labeled as "difficult" because they thought I was just stopping things and didn't have the "patience" to see the response.

You can imagine how frustrating that is, because I refused to give something that was philisopically right, but that, in practice, wasn't working.

It *is* important that you don't stop too soon, but you will have to use your judgement - is it part of the healing process? Was there another possible trigger? Etc?

If he continues to get worse in that spot, be sure to communicate that to the vet.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#148843 - 04/14/11 02:17 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Btw, I was hesitant to post that, because I don't want to encourage you to stop something too soon, and I do not want to discourage you about this vet.

I do have a working relationship with one of these vets now, or should I say, we are working on it - I have a couple of appts scheduled.

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#148852 - 04/14/11 03:25 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
I just have a second to chime in here.

I wouldn't stop anything. This vet uses Chinese herbs and it takes a while to see changes. It took a long time to start seeing results with Kailor but now she is like a different dog. This vet is also a classical homeopath so you usually only dose with something 1 to 3 times, across a period of days.

Also, it is spring here and since most of our dogs have environmental allergies (since I am an allergy sufferer myself I notice these things) this is the time when you are going to see flare-ups due to an increase in the mold count and blooming trees, grass, etc. So equating the herbs with a new hot spot could very well be a false correlation.

Re: demodectic mange I would apply Azmira's Neem spray to the affected areas. And the spot on the leg could also be mange. Rafi had a spot on the top of his and several on his back, up near his shoulder blades. In his case I boosted his immune system and applied Neem and it resolved. It is very common in dogs under 2 years of age and usually indicates a weakened immune system (which would make sense in Mason's case, especially since he was given steroids).

Finally, if you are concerned about new problems contact the vet. She always wants to know what's happening, especially if some new health crisis arises.

And finally, finally...are you giving Mason regular baths? That has been such a huge help for Kailor. She has to have a bath a week or her skin gets itchy again. We use a variety of different shampoos but right now I would use a Neem shampoo for Kailor because that will help with the mange too.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#148901 - 04/14/11 10:16 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: BowWowMeow]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the info Lisa and Ruth. I appreciate it.
I am definitely going to give it more time to get built up in his system...I know things like these aren't instant (although I am sure we all wish they were!).

I do believe he is having a "flare-up", because his armpit areas are getting really red and irritated which has never happened before.

One thing I am sad about right now is, his coat condition is still getting worse (I know that it will take time for the effects of raw to kick in)....on his sides, where he used to be solid black- he itches it so much that he has pulled the black guard hairs out and the grey undercoat is showing...it looks so weird but I love him anyways!

He is continuing to lose hair on his ears and on his feet. He was doing so good for a couple of weeks with his hair re-growth and now he is starting to itch it all out again frown

Mason gets a bath usually every other week, with Neem Shampoo.

Yes..it is frustrating, but we will get through this and hopefully find something that will work for him, given time!
I know that being patient and giving time....lots of time, is our key to success!!!

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

#148960 - 04/15/11 12:53 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

I know it's so frustrating. Hopefully he will turn a corner soon hugging

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#149564 - 04/17/11 04:54 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I believe Mason may have a skin infection now, as a result of all his itching and scratching. frown There are a few areas on his lower back that are bumpy and gooey and kind of smell and it feels very werid to touch. sick
Yesterday, he was really digging at himself. I didn't get a chance to look at the area last night because it was late when I noticed it, but I looked at it today. It wasn't like that when I gave him a bath 3 days ago.
I am going to call the vet tomorrow to see if I can get him in.

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

#149565 - 04/17/11 04:55 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, I tried to get a pic, but it is hard to see it in the pic because its dark and hidden by his fur.

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

#149566 - 04/17/11 04:58 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

That really sucks, I'm so sorry.

Is the itching getting better or worse?

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

Page 18 of 31 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 30 31 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Sweet Kody turns into Cujo
by Shilohsmom
02/16/18 03:01 PM
Kody has the squirts (Help needed)
by Shilohsmom
02/15/18 03:19 PM
Shelter puppy temperament test results
by Molly1993
02/14/18 12:10 PM
Kody Bear
by Shilohsmom
02/13/18 07:21 PM
Update on Heidi (hypothyroid issues)
by Karin
02/13/18 12:49 PM
Renji: Somehow still alive and sassy
by Diana
02/13/18 11:11 AM
We're Not Spoiled
by Woodreb
02/12/18 09:53 PM
Unhappy puppy influence
by Shilohsmom
02/12/18 06:18 PM
Water Consumption, not drinking enough
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
02/12/18 02:30 PM
traffic
by dano
02/11/18 06:43 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
just a quick update
by MaxaLisa
02/15/18 11:09 AM
Could use some healing thoughts
by Islandgsds
10/16/17 12:53 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 42 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Erin, ekreinbrink, tapinho, Chantalsyr, Molly1993, Thunder, Mayhem, jill023, RobPac, HONOROFLINUS
2883 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2883 Members
100 Forums
20386 Topics
325188 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts