Page 13 of 28 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#143174 - 03/22/11 09:33 AM Update ~ Laos [Re: Qyn]
Lynn P Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Good Morning Everyone...

Okay, I now am totally done dealing with apparently incompetent vets. I was so angry yesterday that I couldn't even come on here and vent, but now I need to. I need also to stop self-doubting my "gut" when dealing with Laos and the medical staff.

Took him down to have the staples removed. Okay, should be a normal procedure. I told them that I'm still concerned about some of the swelling and the little bit of drainage that still is present. I'm told don't worry about it, it's just tissue inflammation, etc. That if it was infection the dog would be not feeling this good and he would experience discomfort. Okay, I'm not a medical professional so I believe them.

Laos had about 1/2 inch part of the incision that wasn't totally healed yet. Looks clean, but still this is healing from the inside out. Laos gets up, and I'm not exaggerating, and fluid (the drainage) and this time puss pours out of the incision. I'm standing there with my mouth wide open and not so nicely tell them "okay, tell me again that this isn't infection". I also told them "apparently you haven't been hearing me when I tell you about Laos and his treshold for pain". "You can not tell me that with having such a serious infection at the time of this 2nd surgery that the infection just "disappears" without aggressive antibiotic therapy." I also told them you can not also just rely on culture because of the tendency of "false" negatives.

I am so upset that I didn't trust my intuition. How this surgery was set up is that the orthopedic surgeon does these surgeries at a patient's regular vet's office. The regular vets are responsible for the aftercare. I requested last week that they contact the surgeon to discuss this drainage and the fact that they stopped the antibiotcs. This isn't just one regular vet at this practice, I spoke to two different ones. I demanded that they contact the surgeon this morning. If they do not, I will. They put Laos back on the cephalexin 500 mgs three times a day. They still do not know what type of infection we are dealing with because of the negative cultures.

I think what upsets me the most too is that if this drainage of fluid and puss did not happened at the vet's office yesterday, they would have just sent me home with a pat on my back saying everyhing looks GREAT. So things happen for a reason.

Sorry I needed to vent this morning. Laos' incision looks good this morning, even the 1/2 inch part that wasn't healed looks better. I'm taking it upon myself to do warm compresses as I believe that will help draw the remain infection out, I will clean the site three times a day, and use antibiotic cream. He is to start longer leash walks and I believe that activity will also help.

I'm mad, upset and through all of this concerned of course. Laos doesn't act like anything wrong.

Dante vom Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Laos vom Hünxer Wald (My "retired" Wild Child)
Novak von der Alte Baum

Top Likes: 0 
#143176 - 03/22/11 09:41 AM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: Lynn P]
GSDBESTK9 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Maryland
Oh Lynn, I'm so sorry you are going through such nightmare. frown What a good boy Laos is. I hope his wounds finally heal and you don't have to deal with this ever again. Hugs my friend!

#143185 - 03/22/11 09:55 AM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: GSDBESTK9]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY
So sorry that this is happening. I hope everything turns out in the end. Sending positive thoughts your ways!

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

UKC CH SG Falcon PacHaus BH AD CGCA TDI

#143188 - 03/22/11 09:59 AM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: GSDBESTK9]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Lynn,

I'm terribly sorry that you and Laos are still going through this. I doubt this will be any comfort to you-but your observation and analysis day by day is just an ideal case of the responsibility we bear and should trust.

I truly hope that your concern and learned demands result in Laos return to himself.

Mary Jane

#143194 - 03/22/11 10:04 AM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: Mary Jane]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

GAHHHHHHHH! That is infuriating! Until recently I had not had, in a very long time, the experience of vets (doctors yes!) not listening to the owner/the gut instincts and it really and truly hampers the ability of a pet to get and be healthy. Particularly when, in relation to the dog's pain and discomfort threshold, stoicism, etc, you of course know your dog best.

Hopefully the Ceph will work. I mean, my gosh, what can happen when an infection goes on...I am disgusted right there with you.

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#143197 - 03/22/11 10:09 AM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
Lynn P Offline
Old Hand

I know, the more I think about this the more disgusted I get. What's so infuriating too is that the staff at the regular vet were talking about the incompetence of VOSM (who did the original surgery), and I'm thinking to myself later, "you all are just as bad". I will be changing vets very shortly, believe me.

Novak von der Alte Baum

#143227 - 03/22/11 11:52 AM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: Lynn P]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Lynn P
Good Morning Everyone...

Okay, I now am totally done dealing with apparently incompetent vets. I was so angry yesterday that I couldn't even come on here and vent, but now I need to. I need also to stop self-doubting my "gut" when dealing with Laos and the medical staff.....

Don't be too upset with yourself, but do be upset with them.

While we all need to be our dog's best advocate, we should not have to be leading the vet team, which it seams so many times we have to (to some degree), and then we beat ourselves up. We take on the responsibility, yet we usually don't have all the knowledge we need, and we certainly don't have the ability to treat (prescribed drugs, etc.).

Even with that, I can't tell you how that happens to me still, over and over.....though I am still much better than I used to be. You can't have a vet-owner relationship without instilling a certain amount of trust and confidence in the vet. When that happens, you open yourself up to this.

I am glad that this happened at the vet's office, so at least he will get the attention he so rightly needs. You are so right - they remove a plate for what they consider an infectious reason, yet don't follow up with appropriate therapy.

What a courageous and wonderful boy to deal with all this.

hugging to you, you should only have to be worrying about your sick boy, not the competence of your vet.

Too much of this going around.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#143236 - 03/22/11 12:02 PM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: Lynn P]
Natalie559 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Hang in there Lynn and Laos! So sorry to hear you are continuing to have issues!

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha 1/05-11/12 watches over us

Swing Sets By Design
Read Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking

#143254 - 03/22/11 01:04 PM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: Natalie559]
Jane Jean Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southwest, MI
Well, I hope that pus drainage was the infection saying goodbye to Laos!
Healing thoughts for him and hope the antibiotics work NOW!
SweetClover3.17.94~11.24.08 Kacie 7.21.2005-5.01.2015

#143261 - 03/22/11 01:33 PM Re: Update ~ Laos [Re: Jane Jean]
Lynn P Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Jane Jean
Well, I hope that pus drainage was the infection saying goodbye to Laos!
Healing thoughts for him and hope the antibiotics work NOW!

Now that's what I like.. POSITIVE attitude.. thanks Jane.. maybe you are right.

Novak von der Alte Baum

Page 13 of 28 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27 28 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Woodreb), 32 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts