German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158840 - 05/30/11 07:24 AM preparing people and dogs for severe weather
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SE Wisconsin
I was pretty much glued to the weather channel last week watching the horrendous death and destruction with all the tornados. I hope everyone here is ok and that any loved ones you have in that area are also ok. Hubby has been in a tornado but I've only seen them on tv - never the likes of the tornado outbreak that went on last week. The senseless death of people and especially children and babies makes me sooooooooo angry. In my head I think I knew that little missing 3yo would never be found or if found would not be alive but when his tiny body actually was found counties away my heart lost it and I couldn't stop crying. His little 15mo old brother also died and my heart goes out to that family.

After all of that let's just say I've come to have a bit of a healthy fear of tornados. I used to never even think about it, have never once gone flying into the basement when the sirens sounded - I blew it off like so many of us think that this or that won't happen to us.

Well, that's now changed and so when we did our weekly shopping we spent a lot more money buying supplies for the basement which we've NEVER done before -- just in case we do have a tornado. Hubby is on the road 5-6 days a week and so it's just me and the furkids.

Next we had to teach the furkids how to get into the basement so that in an emergency they would go w/o me having to leash them up and perhaps drag them into the basement. They have always been afraid of the open basement stairs and I've just let them be afraid because I didn't want them on *those* stairs anyway.

Hubby remembered we have a 2nd set of stairs via a trap door in our enclosed back porch that are steep and narrow but NOT open that will get us into the basement. I went to McDonalds and grabbed a big old plain Angus bacon cheeseburger which we broke up into small pieces. Hubby cleared out the piles of whatever on top of that trap door for years, opened it, went down, turned the light on and we just let them get used to that door being open for awhile. Then I put their collars/leashes on and it took maybe 1 and 1/2 minutes of coaxing for Riley to carefully venture down there and once he was down it didn't take to long before Nissa got over her fear - her need to be near Riley kicks in quick, wink

We practiced on these steps for awhile and then tried the other ones and my furkids can now maneuver both sets (minus leash and collars) of stairs in case of an emergency smile

We'll practice this occasionally so that they won't even think twice about heading to the basement if need be. I do not want to have to worry about taking the time to put a collar/leash on my dogs if we have to hit the basement in a hurry. I will keep a spare set down there so that once we're there, I can keep them close to me w/o having to chase them down and so that if worse comes to worse they can't get out on their own and get lost in their panic or anything like that.

Top Likes: 0 
#158865 - 05/30/11 11:56 AM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: FurKids]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
You need to make an area in your basement where you would be protected from flying or falling debris. If you have a nice sturdy table, slide that into a corner, if you have other sturdy pieces of furniture slide those over in that area also. For the big F5 type tornado that is going to rip your house away you want something to hold onto, because if that sucker hits you directly and takes any part of the floor above you it is going to want to suck you out of your hiding place. Since you have the outside storm entrance that is a place where the wind will be a problem. Flying debris even if you are on the edge of the tornado is a big problem. We had an F3 a few years ago near here, on the other edges a lot of damage was done by flying debris breaking windows.

I would also have 2 of the airline crates in the basement, in case I needed to put the dogs in there for a while.

Food and water for 3 days. DH and I were talking about this, I would get a couple of those Air Horns. That way if I heard some one looking for me I could give a blast or two. You should also have some blankets to cover yourself and the dogs up.

Make sure you have people know where your hiding place is.

No all of that is said, I have my place, I have water, no food, I think I should do some work.

I do have what I call my storm bag, has my purse, bank books, emergency cash. I always have a stash of emergency cash on hand. My friend was lived in New Orleans but left before Katerina, but she couldn't access any of her bank account info for months afterwards.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

#158866 - 05/30/11 11:59 AM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Radio Shack has a weather radio that is operated by a crank. Don't count on your dogs going to the basement on their own. Animals will instinctively run and hide. That may or may not be to you.

#158882 - 05/30/11 12:40 PM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: LifeAsMe]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
When I lived in IL, my first Doxy would always head for the basement way before any warnings or sirens, smart dog, the younger one not so attuned to the weather.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

#158883 - 05/30/11 12:45 PM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's great Val! I wonder if the spot in the basement is left open for access and it's made their "safe" spot is that will teach them to go there. I think it's asking a lot of most dogs to expect them to head to the basement on their own though.

#158956 - 05/30/11 08:43 PM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
LauraHolder Offline
Veteran

Loc: Southeastern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
When I lived in IL, my first Doxy would always head for the basement way before any warnings or sirens, smart dog, the younger one not so attuned to the weather.

Fanny is super sensitive to changes in weather as well...we know when there is a storm coming b/c she'll want to get into the basement ASAP. smile

The Fur-Kids:
Fanny, GSD, Rescued 2002
DOB circa December 1999
Shylo's "Oscar" Million, CGC
DOB 11/3/2009

http://holistic-canine.blogspot.com/

#158977 - 05/30/11 09:38 PM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: LauraHolder]
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We had a doberman who ran for the laundry room when a storm was near. You couldn't budge him from that room!

#158985 - 05/30/11 10:20 PM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: LifeAsMe]
Jane Jean Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southwest, MI
Thanks for this thread, lots of great tips. The airhorn is a good idea.
Yesterday, just afert we returned from training, severe weather was headed our way. Even Karlo was anxious. All dogs followed me around panting for an hour before it hit. Very electrical and the storm intensified after it passed my location. Tornado's spawned just to the east with damage.
Kacie and Onyx will head to the bathroom on their own, before severe weather approaches. Yesterday it was odd, because Karlo is never storm fearful, but I could tell he had anxiety during this system.

SweetClover3.17.94~11.24.08 Kacie 7.21.2005-5.01.2015

#158991 - 05/30/11 10:40 PM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: Jane Jean]
Liesje Offline
Pooh-Bah

Luckily our basement is already the dogs' home base so they are comfortable down there.

#159035 - 05/31/11 04:55 AM Re: preparing people and dogs for severe weather [Re: Liesje]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SE Wisconsin
The back porch where this secondary basement door is, isn't open. It's inside an enclosed back porch so the tornado would have to take that first which I'm sure it could but we don't have to go outside to get at the "trap door" entrance. Basement is L shaped and where we would go (short end of the L) is away from windows. Glass would sure to be flying around so yeah, we do need to think more on that.

I absolutely HATE basements. They're almost as scary as being in a tornado being that I'm totally bug-o-phobic so having to spend more than a few minutes in our awful basement literally makes me queasy.

Do have two wire crates down there that haven't been used in years. I just kept them when we were done using them on a "just in case we need them" basis like for a stray we find or something.

What's "spare" cash? LOL! I didn't know anyone could afford to keep spare cash on hand anymore <g>

I like the air horns idea smile We put 4 gallons of water down there and will prolly add a few more of those.

Hubby is for the idea of doing this but he has it in his head we'd never be down there very long so it's a fight to get him to buy/put together to much stuff for down there. Once he gets something in his head it's near impossible to get it changed or out of his thick skull.

Going to pick up canned dog food.

Just had a thought - good time to test going to the basement is when the storm siren tests go off so they learn to associate the sirens sounding w/going to the basement smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
BOING
by DancingCavy
09:59 AM
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20334 Topics
324511 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts