Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#164783 - 06/29/11 02:54 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Diogy Pup]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
Hi there,

So sorry you're having such a tough time getting rid of the giardia! I'm one of the holistic people on this board and I usually chime in with the other options for treating things (if I know them). There is an herbal tincture called Kocci Free that is very effective in treating giardia and is also an herbal antibiotic. I just used it to treat my (adult) dog Rafi for coccidia. I have used it (successfully) in the past to treat my dogs for coccidia and giardia.

You want to get a refrigerated, human quality probiotic and give that 2 hours away from whatever meds you're giving him.

Someone else mentioned slippery elm. Slippery elm is very healing to the gut but you should give it half an hour away from other meds since it's an absorbent.

And finally, I would use overcooked brown rice (white rice has no nutritional value), sweet potatoes and a lean meat with a small amount of pumpkin (1 tablespoon per meal) for the bland diet.

Oh, and one more thing: some dogs don't do great on dairy so I think I would stay away from the cottage cheese at the moment.

And...can you find canned tripe (the brand is Tripet)? That is great for the stomach and would be perfect for hiding pills...although I personally would ditch the metro and try something else.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Top Likes: 0 
#164786 - 06/29/11 03:05 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Diogy Pup]
Malinois16 Offline
Addict

I would have him checked for Coccidia as well. I would send out a sample and have them check for everything else to. When I did this my guy also had Clostridium (bacteria overgrowth). The first time I didnt add in probiotics as my vet said not to. But the metro kills ALL bacteria so you have to replenish the good. Thats where the probiotic comes in. After the second round of treatment for mine with the probiotic, it worked. I still give the probiotic pill daily tho as he is prone to gut issues.

When cleaning up the yard here is what I did. Fill pail with some bleach and water. As he poops pick it up and put it into the pale. Wipe his bum after, wipe his paws after he comes in from the yard. I never did anything to my yard as i didnt wish to kill my grass. I just put the hose on his poop spots. After it goes, empty the pale some where where he wont have contact with it. Me I just emptied it into the kennel in the back that it no longer in use. He has no access to it.

#164787 - 06/29/11 03:26 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: proudshepmom]
Diogy Pup Offline

Loc: Seattle WA
Thank you! I will try the blan diet and let you know what comes of it. I never knew having a dog could be so worrisome, and stressful. It really is like having another kid!
I got my boys poo tested for parasites and giardia they are both good. Yes the poo is SO GROSS! I have scooped up huge grass clumps just to ensure all the poop is up. We have holes all over our yard now. I am going to mix a bleach solution and do as you suggest with the disinfecting. I think Ill do that to his toys too. I wish Giardia never existed!
These meds are nasty. There was a 3 day break in between his second round of pills and his poo was half solid, I was so ecstatic!
I have a feeling I will be picking your brain for a lot of dog advice.. I hope your cool with that... (:

#164788 - 06/29/11 03:29 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Malinois16]
Diogy Pup Offline

Loc: Seattle WA
Great idea checking him for more, I will ask them to test for all that with the next fecal test. If only dogs could talk! Im happy to hear probiotics worked for you! Im starting him on some today!!!

#164795 - 06/29/11 03:47 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Diogy Pup]
Malinois16 Offline
Addict

Okay, tho I will warn you. Since Metro kills both good and bad bacteria you want to give the Probiotic about 1-2 hours after his last dose of Metro. So Lincoln was on it twice a day. The times varied but usually it was around 9am then again at 3pm. I gave the probiotic around 4-5pm. That way overnight he has good bacteria and that will also fight the Giardia and whatever else he has by replenishing good bacteria.

I would continue with the probiotic after all the meds to. Just give less. I use Equate, which is Walmart brand. Cheap and does the trick. Now me personally I wouldnt bother doing the bland diet. Stick with what you normally feed is what I did. Why? Because when switching to a bland diet your asking a dog with an already bad gut issue to adjust to a new food thus creating more gut issues. Then when its all over and hes adjusted to the bland diet you will be asking him to adjust back to his regular food potentially creating even more problems. Stick to what hes used to digesting. I feed raw, but I realize thats not for every body. What are you feeding?

#164800 - 06/29/11 04:44 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Malinois16]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
I like Ruth's appraoch to this and I hadu forgotten pumpkin. I think Pumpkin is one of the best foods out there. It acts as an aid to relieve constipation and also will firm up gooey pooey. It is wonderful stuff and all of my dogs and cats get some regularly.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#164802 - 06/29/11 05:05 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Diogy Pup]
LauraHolder Offline
Veteran

Loc: Southeastern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Diogy Pup
There was a 3 day break in between his second round of pills and his poo was half solid, I was so ecstatic!

I sense that you will a future member of the dancing poop banana club! poop

The Fur-Kids:
Fanny, GSD, Rescued 2002
DOB circa December 1999
Shylo's "Oscar" Million, CGC
DOB 11/3/2009

http://holistic-canine.blogspot.com/

#164805 - 06/29/11 05:09 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Kayos]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
I would stay away from any Wal-Mart brand supplements.

A bland diet gives a stressed gut time to heal.

Unfortunately I've had about 25 years of experience dealing with doggie intestinal issues and each one was a little different in terms of sorting out but eventually we got there. Hang in there!

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#164809 - 06/29/11 05:37 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: BowWowMeow]
LauraHolder Offline
Veteran

Loc: Southeastern Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
I would stay away from any Wal-Mart brand supplements.

A bland diet gives a stressed gut time to heal.

Unfortunately I've had about 25 years of experience dealing with doggie intestinal issues and each one was a little different in terms of sorting out but eventually we got there. Hang in there!

Listen to Ruth!!! She's a fantastic resource and helped me many, many, many times with Oscar with all his gut/butt issues! smile smile smile

The Fur-Kids:
Fanny, GSD, Rescued 2002
DOB circa December 1999
Shylo's "Oscar" Million, CGC
DOB 11/3/2009

http://holistic-canine.blogspot.com/

#164810 - 06/29/11 05:38 PM Re: Giardia... at my wits end [Re: Diogy Pup]
Malinois16 Offline
Addict

Why? Walmart brand supplement is human grade and it contained the SAME units and ingredients as the one that costed 10 times as much. Worked for me. Plus mine was lactose free which is even better.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
BOING
by DancingCavy
09:59 AM
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20334 Topics
324510 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts