German Shepherd Home
Page 20 of 55 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 54 55 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172710 - 08/11/11 03:54 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
That's great Jean! I passed the blog along to someone that has a HW+ rescue that just came in. Great blog, but now you gotta keep it current!

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Top Likes: 0 
#172751 - 08/11/11 10:14 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: MaxaLisa]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
happyboogie Jean and Mila are famous!!!!!!!!!!

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#172781 - 08/11/11 11:25 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: BowWowMeow]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Making me a little nervous! A lot - because I say some weird stuff in the blog, to keep myself amused, and realized now that there are actually going to be more than us reading it! rofl

Thank you for passing it along Lisa. I hope it helps. What I noticed is that vets and websites start talking about the L3, the microfillaria, adultcide, etc, and it helps to have an idea of what they mean! Plus I want to people see that honkin' big needle going in her back.

It was weird - when she got diagnosed, I got ticked off that she was going to have to deal with this when she was just starting to enjoy herself, was going to get her braces, etc. I started googling for blogs on HW and didn't see many, but they had a one page post on the Bark blog on one that was complicated. frown Luckily the dog was okay. So I just emailed them, like oh, sure, they'll get right back to a crazy dog lady. But they did. I was shocked. Then they were interested...even more shocking. They have been really nice/helpful. They even put the link to BDBH in which was awesome. I am so appreciative.

I put a funny caption (I think) under Mila's picture on my thank you post. It just seemed to fit her.

We had a nice day again - cool - so I brushed her and she was so happy to sit in the shade and was even quiet for it. She's a best friend kind of dog.

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN (08/11/11 11:28 PM)

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#172838 - 08/12/11 07:37 AM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
LJsMom Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
So I just emailed them, like oh, sure, they'll get right back to a crazy dog lady.

Only our vets see us as crazy dog ladies. To the rest of the doggy world, I think we're normal. Besides, better to be a crazy dog lady than a crazy cat lady.

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky) 8-6-99
Miss Mila Monster (GSD) 4-14-02

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)

#172922 - 08/12/11 07:09 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: LJsMom]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
Dear Auntie Mila,

Thank you for letting me call you Auntie. And for calling me cute. I am sorry you got stung in your back so bad. That must hurt some fierce. And the crate rest. Hang in there, and I hope you feel better very soon!

I am sorry you didn't get the HW pills your previous human hunted for you. My monthly HW pill is so yummie I wish I could get it every day! Not one of these icky pills hidden in cheese and the icky flavor hits ya as you swallow. Nope, really tasty!

Love from
Chippy
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#172949 - 08/12/11 09:12 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: shepnterrier]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Immiticide unavailability (weird way to put it): http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2011/08/urgent-post-immiticide-unavailability.html Thanks Lisa and Mary Ann!

This is true, Joanne, but I think the crazy cat ladies have a quieter existence!

Dear Chippy-
Do you have room in your cabana for your dear Auntie? I think I would like that, but it needs to have A/C for now.

I have been getting all my pills in cream cheese and I love that. We are trying to contact Kraft to see if they would like to be the official sponsor of my HW tx. But I agree, the monthly pills are much better. She will not give me a spoon full of sugar either. It is supposed to help the medicine go down.

XOXO
Mila

#172994 - 08/13/11 12:59 AM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
Kris Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Wow - what a great response from the magazine! Your blog explained HW to me better than anything I've seen before. You talk in terms that I can understand instead of all the big words (that I don't understand) in most of the material I've read. Hope you get a really positive response from Kraft!

She sounds like such a terrific dog... wub

PS - off topic - where are pictures of my favorite boy?? It's been too long!! nono
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey

#173530 - 08/16/11 12:06 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: Kris]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Thank you Kris. That's what I was hoping for - because it is SO complicated the way it's described in a lot of really informative places - but you have to have a notepad out to decipher! I am learning a lot by reading all this stuff. And realizing there is tons more to learn.

Like the thing about inactivity in ANY dog that is heartworm positive. http://bigdogsbigheartworm.blogspot.com/2011/08/well-what-can-i-do-nothing.html That if a dog is HW+ and is waiting for treatment that they need to be on restrictions because they will get sicker faster if they are not. So if a dog has 50 worms and is restricted, and if another dog has 14 worms but is not, the dog with less worms will go into the congestive heart failure type stuff sooner.

I didn't contact Kraft - they wanted all your address and phone info on their web form and I hate that. frown

Oh, poor Pupadupolis - there is one picture with him and Quincey in that thread, but you are right, I need more. He is such a sweet boy.

And Mila! She is cracking me up - I am realizing that she almost has me trained. She is getting 4 meals a day, and of course her cream cheese and pills. And treats. She started out a bit underweight so we will see what she ways when she goes in for her 2 injections (next week? gah).

I made some mistakes with her in the beginning when she was all sad and depressed, thinking she was this poor old lady who would be as easy as Bella...whoopsie. rofl Now with the HW tx she's had that opportunity to really take over because what am I going to do? Oh well! I am doing some bits of NILIF After it's over we'll start working on ore stuff. And it's not like she's a bad dog, just bossy. And the eye doctor said that she looked calmer and happier with me in charge of her, instead of her caretaking, but Mila was only letting us think I was in charge!

#174369 - 08/20/11 09:31 AM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
'When you can't help' – that's how it started. Now your blog helps saving lives even beyond Mila the Great! Terrific work, Jean.

There is an article in today's NYT on the economics of and policy solutions to the recent shortages in vital drugs, incl. cancer drugs for human patients. For some reason I cannot paste the url in here. Let's contact the nascent biotech non-profit mentioned in this article and suggest they include Immiticide to their list.
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#176874 - 08/30/11 11:55 PM Re: Mila, Grand Old Dame [Re: shepnterrier]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Awww, thanks Sarah. I hope it does help. I really appreciate that.

I saw an article like that, and it added immiticide. I will try to find it.

I called the vet office - Mila has vomited 2-3x tonight - including just water in the last one. All food, nothing else. Her attitude is good, wagging and she's also complaining which makes me nuts because it's dog who cries wolf stuff - is she complaining like normal or is her whining because she isn't feeling good...anyway, won't take food, peeing, no diarrhea...I am going to bring her in tomorrow for a blood panel because she is so lively and alert it doesn't seem emergency-ish to anyone.

But I wanted to run this past people to see if this theory could be right?
Normally our routine is she gets up, drinks a boat load of water and does potties, eats a small meal w/some water with her meds. Then she has breakfast 2 which is bigger, with water, joint pill. Afternoon potties, small meal, pills, potties, supper, supps, potties, pill. She drinks quite a bit of water throughout.

Because I left today, I didn't let her have her giant bowl of water in the am, and gave her very little with her food. Then my mom fed her/the gang, but couldn't take her out so Mila went without her usual water and potties for about 8-9 hours. Then when I took her out she drank a TON of water. She may have peed her bed or it was water in her vomit - her blankets were wet - she's in an airline crate.

My theory is that by not getting her usuals, the meds, the no water, all acted in her belly and made her sick, and that it's not from her injections so much. But we'll do the blood panel regardless tomorrow asap. Her meds are tramadol and trazadone. Thoughts? Who wants to stay up and play blackjack or something? wink

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN (08/30/11 11:56 PM)

Page 20 of 55 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 54 55 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Mary Jane), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Major’s Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20445 Topics
325915 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts