German Shepherd Home
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173480 - 08/16/11 12:34 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: MaxaLisa]
frillint Offline
Veteran

Loc: WI
Smokey has never had fleas whole 15 years. We have moved and maybe the place here just has more fleas. Getting something new makes me a little iffy to. Its like $96 for a year. Its way more to have a heartgaurd and something topical. I don't know what ill do. I still have two heartgaurds left so I can think about it.

Why don't you like combo things?

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart."Run like the wind"

Top Likes: 0 
#173482 - 08/16/11 12:55 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: frillint]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
I use the Bug Off but honestly I think it works better for ticks than for fleas. The NEEM protect shampoo really works great for fleas and the spray is also great (both are made by Azmira). For hotspots I use calendula...of course. smile

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#173491 - 08/16/11 02:11 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: frillint]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: frillint
Why don't you like combo things?

I just don't trust them. I think they either tend to be ineffective in one area, or have a higher risk of adverse reactions overall. And if there is a reaction, you just don't know which part is reacting.

If you think the flea thing is new and temporary, I for sure wouldn't switch. I would treat the environment, and use topicals, or things similar to what Ruth is mentioning, until they get under control.

When I was in school, I took care of someone's cat, and it brought a lot of fleas into the apartment. It was so frustrating. I didn't have a pet at the time, except for the resident cat that hung out wherever he wanted, and he didn't have fleas. I remember how difficult it was!

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#173496 - 08/16/11 03:14 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: MaxaLisa]
frillint Offline
Veteran

I do kind of like the idea of having a flea preventative/killer that way we won't have to worry about it. Since if he did get them from me bringing them from a friends they have lots of animals and don't treat, so we may end up bringing them back. I also like having the chewable tablet, because he gets a bath every month and with topical I wouldn't be able to give him a bath without washing it away, so if I stay with the heartgaurd what flea preventative/killer would you suggest. I have mixed feelings about frontline plus to many people say it works then others say it don't.

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart."Run like the wind"

#173497 - 08/16/11 03:25 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: frillint]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: frillint
I..... so if I stay with the heartgaurd what flea preventative/killer would you suggest....

You know, I don't have to deal with fleas, so I don't know. I might look at Advantage (Advantix if ticks are a concern), if I went the topical route.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#173500 - 08/16/11 05:07 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: MaxaLisa]
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Queensland. Australia
For what it is worth, I use Advantix and have never found a flea here. Although Molly did have the really bad hotspot that I posted about here and the vet thought it was a flea allergy that caused it. I've also never found a tick on her(touch wood).
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.

#173519 - 08/16/11 10:21 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: bianca]
Natalie559 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Penny has flea allergy and frontline and advantix did not work on her, she itched until I starting using comfortis- so if I were you I would use the comfortis and something different for heartworms. Regardless of that the hot spot needs attention. Many have described effective ways for you to do this yourself at home.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha 1/05-11/12 watches over us

Swing Sets By Design
Read Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking

#173527 - 08/16/11 11:06 AM Re: What is this?? [Re: Natalie559]
frillint Offline
Veteran

Natalie: As I said above. You may have missed it, but my vet thinks that smokey does not have hot spot. She thinks all the red and scabs on his butt area are from him biteing so much she believes that its a flea allergy and not hot spot.

She gave me comfortis for two months to hopefully clear up the stuff on his back. Maybe I will stick with heartgaurd and get comfortis for the fleas. Some said their dog was lethargic, didn't eat, and had the tremors, but he seems just like he always is.

#173549 - 08/16/11 02:08 PM Re: What is this?? [Re: frillint]
Diane Offline

Hi frillint,

While your vet is no doubt correct (since he/she actually examined your dog in person) that your dog currently has a flea related skin irritation going on, be aware that many hot spots begin in precisely that way! What is a relatively mild irritation today could readily progress to something far worse, including a hot spot, simply by having your dog lick or scratch at the area. So your vet and Natalie are both right...he has something that is the early stage of a hot spot that will likely progress unless you're vigilant (as you've been so far) in keeping it from doing so.

You need to:
1) prevent further irritation/injury to the area, especially caused by licking/scratching
2) Address the possible flea problem
3) Keep a very close eye on the irritated skin area and if you see ANY sign of it spreading or getting worse in any way, contact your vet to let him/her know immediately.
4) Keep the affected area clean and dry

That's the bare minimum required to help Smokey and it may not be enough. His ability to fight off infection on his own at age 15 (?) may be lower than it would be in a young dog, so he may need some additional help.

People have offered all kinds of suggestions with respect to how you can alleviate his symptoms and I'm sure you'll find a way to use some of them and make him feel better. He didn't get to be this age without your TLC all these years, so I'm confident you'll find a way to help him now as well.

So, flea allergy dermatitis or early hot spot in the making, either way...keep an eye on it and continue to ask questions as needed. The kind people here are always willing to help if they can and truly care about you and your dog.

Best regards,
Diane

#173561 - 08/16/11 02:57 PM Re: What is this?? [Re: Diane]
frillint Offline
Veteran

Thank you very much everyone here for all your help. I gave him his comfortis yesterday and maybe its just me, but he has not been itching that much today when ever I do see him itch I stop him. I will definatly keep an eye on him and hope its gets better not worse. I cleaned the house yesterday and I vaccume a lot. The vet combed him with a flea comb and didn't find any fleas, but still thinks that its is from fleas. I am making sure it's nice and dry.

How can I stop him from licking and biteing it? I can't watch him 24/7. I do think he will get better.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts