German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133818 - 02/15/11 02:25 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
mspiker03 Offline
Addict

Loc: Nor Cal
I also think a food trial (raw or homecooked) wouldn't hurt.

As a side note, I never felt the allergy shots worked for us, but the diet change did wonders.

RIP:Levi vom Grunenfeld-I miss you every day

Top Likes: 0 
#133827 - 02/15/11 02:44 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: mspiker03]
DnP Offline
Addict

Loc: Rensselaer County, NY
Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth. I had Pheonix for nearly a year until I ran into allergy problems and he was 2 1/2 years old.

I did the VARL blood test for Phoenix's allergies. We got a good hold on what his environmental allergens were, but like Kathy said, the gold standard is skin testing with a derm. I did take Phoenix to a derm suggested by my vet, who was great in the information he gave regarding food and environmental allergies. We were set to do the skin test when I got the results from the blood testing. I wanted to give the serum a try for a few months to see if it made a difference, if not, we were going to go whole hog w/ the derm. He was fine with the wait since he didn't consider Pheonix a "bad" case...as in no skin infections or sores/hot spots.

Phoenix also has food allergies, but we didn't just have itching with it, we also had periodic vomiting and runny poo. I did an elimination diet to determine his food allergies.

I also discovered that Phoenix starting reacting to ALL chemicals I used in the house. Carpet cleaner from my Hoover shampooer, floor cleaner (Swifer wet jet, Mr. Clean, Ajax). His skin turned bright pink with little red blotches and hair loss on his rear legs and belly. Oh and the itching was constant.

I was adamant about no pred so we did the antihistamine thing to get things somewhat under control until we got the serum for his shots.

I have found that the shots work well for us, but there are periods of intense itching at the beginning of winter. However, the itching isn't anywhere near as bad as when we didn't know what his allergies were.

Phoenix (Brightstar rescue) aka Booger...because I picked him.

RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006

#133829 - 02/15/11 02:57 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: DnP]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
The rug could also be a problem. Basu was allergic to rugs...or rugs exacerbated his allergies.

The derm vet here is very conventional. I wasn't at all impressed. She thinks raw food causes all dogs to be sick and pushes that kangaroo or rabbit pulverized prescription diet for every single dog who walks through the door. Kailor went twice. Neither time did her treatment suggestions work. The holistic vet has been much more helpful.

I would stop the Nutro because it has yeast in it. I would actually stop all of the supplements (some dogs don't do well on fish oil) and start C and see if that makes any difference. Which kind of pre-prepared raw do you have?

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#133832 - 02/15/11 03:02 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: BowWowMeow]
aubie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
Are you feeding one type of grainfree? Chicken? Beef? Could it be a protein intolerance to chicken for example? Or have you tried different varieties?
Duncan Dog RIP 2/99-10/15
Danger Kitties: Mia & Winston RIP Alley Cat 10/12, Simon 6/13
Andon two-legger
Anna's Dog Blog: www.annathegsd.blogspot.com

#133835 - 02/15/11 03:08 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: BowWowMeow]
DnP Offline
Addict

Ruth, good point about the rug! Sometimes it's the rug itself and sometimes it can be what is IN the rug, ie, molds, mildew, dust, dustmites. Rugs have so many chemicals in them to begin with when they are manufactured. And unless you are anal about vacuuming every day or every other day, you'd be surprised at what can be captured in the fibers from the enviroment.

I stopped the Nupro for Phoenix while doing the elimination diet. Besides the yeast, it also has flaxseed which can be an allergen for many dogs.

#133842 - 02/15/11 04:13 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: DnP]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
I actually disagree that the skin test is the gold standard. Max's Derm, whom I like very much, uses a blood allergy test for environmental allergens. (She does food by challenge.)

I do agree with stopping the Nupro - there are many things in there that could be a trigger.

Can you tell if the hair loss is from itching and scratching and biting, or does it continue to happen when he is on the drug? Did you ever try benadryl and if so, did that have any effect?

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#133844 - 02/15/11 04:17 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
DnP Offline
Addict

Lisa, why don't you think it's the gold standard? I know my derm perferred to do the skin test, but was ok with me wanting to wait to hear back on the blood testing my vet sent to VARL? My derm said that the blood testing was more apt to have false positives and false negatives than the skin testing for environmental allergens.

I was also steered away from doing food allergens with the blood testing for the same reason. Both my derm and vet said I could do it, but they both felt it wasn't worth the cost. Though, I wish I had now, I've heard so many folks say that it is, at the very least, a starting point.

#133846 - 02/15/11 04:22 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: DnP]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Diana Havoc also really was itchy at the beginning of winter. I think seasonal changes bring out the worst. He also gets runny poo. The shots have been effective for us as well.

I have noticed Havoc itches more in our bedroom. When we go to bed he comes in and lays on the carpet next to my side of the bed. If I put a bed there he lays at the foot of the bed. He likes the carpet but I am beginning to suspect the carpet may have wool in it. He is very allergic to wool.

Havoc also does not do well with Fish Oil, gives him the trots, Ground Flax seed too. Salmon Oil every other day seems to offer a balance for him at least this week. You may be using too many supplements.

When we did Havoc's food trial we stopped every thing except Duck and Potato for 4 months. No supplements, no other treats, no meat left overs, just his kibble and canned and D and P treats. We added one protein and tried it for 10 days to watch for a reaction. If we saw a reaction on for example day 3 we stopped there and crossed it off the "things Havoc can eat list". If we saw a reaction we stopped the food went back to D and P for 7 days and then moved to the next protein. When you start adding protein it is better to add fresh meat. We used about 1/2 cup of meat for each trial. A reaction can be runny poo, vomitting, gunky eyes or ears or itching.

It is a long process and requires a lot of discipline to stick to it and it is not exact because we are not exact. It took us probably 7 or 8 months from start to finish and I am not always sure about chicken. According to the trail it is oay but sometiems he itches with too much of it. He also has a bad habit of attacking the cat box so we are vigilant about that too.

Allergies are just no fun for us or them.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#133848 - 02/15/11 04:28 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: Kayos]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Diana I was busfy typing as the others were posting. Both of my vets, (derm and regular) said the same thing about the blood test reliabilty. They said it was okay as a baseline but too amny false negs and pso made it not worth the money. Havoc's skin testing was not that bad and I had results a lot faster.

I think in the cases where the blood test says puppy is allergic to chicken and owner stops chicken and puppy improves than that is great but it does not happen tha often according to the vet. I think the blood test is also more expensive. Personally I did not care about cost or methed I just wanted accuracy.

That said I am considering a blood test just to back up the skin test and I may insist on it when Havoc goes in for his check up in late March.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#133849 - 02/15/11 04:31 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: Kayos]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Diana, when I first did the VARL testing for Indy, it was at our vet's suggestion. He said he used to send his clients over to UCD for skin testing, but had MUCH better results with the blood test - and that vet, though I often disagreed with his philosophies, is just about the smartest vet I have ever worked with.

I also respect this Derm of Max's, since she seems very willing to work outside of the box, as far as Derms go.

I had good experiences with VARL for Indy and Spectrum for Max. I was also pleased with the food results. No false positives, but, yes, false negatives - hard to know if those additional "issue foods" are allergies or other sensitivies.

Foods are trickier, since in some foods, preparation can alter the allergen, and I think there is a list of other reasons that can confuse the issue. I still like using the blood food test as a starting point for an elimination diet.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 ... 30 31 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Canít Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/21/13 10:27 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Braverhund), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
tajinder, Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice
2900 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2900 Members
100 Forums
20458 Topics
326101 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts