German Shepherd Home
Page 27 of 31 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200699 - 12/21/11 09:59 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
Keep us updated. If you got the ONP stuff be aware that it can take 2-3 weeks to notice a difference.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Top Likes: 0 
#200809 - 12/21/11 04:26 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: BowWowMeow]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
crossedfingers

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#206463 - 01/18/12 07:57 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Something just came through my email, and one link led to another, and I saw this story about mite allergies and atopic dermatitis, and I thought of Mason. The pictures that I saw where terrible, and the story was actually centered on kibble as a source of storage mites, and thus these types of allergies.

I know that Mason is on raw, but I wonder if regular house mites (which he was allergic to if I recall), are seasonal? What type of environment encourages house mites? I dunno, but even when you there's not a lot that can be done, it's nice to know at least the cause?

How is he doing nowadays?

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#206510 - 01/18/12 10:45 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY
Thanks Lisa.

Sorry, I haven't updated recently.

I am actually starting to think that his house dust mite allergies are seasonal. He was doing so great and then the seasons changed and he got itchy again frown

He is doing ok, he has defiantly been better. He is itchy, his coat has thinned out a lot and is very coarse feeling now frown His skin is also very dry and flaky.

He has a day or two left of the powder that the holistic vet gave us, and I started the Immune Balance that Ruth mentioned, 2 weeks ago. The powder defiantly helped heal up the irritated spots on his hind legs and tail but now he is bothering under his front legs and the insides of his front legs. Haven't noticed any changes with the Immune Balance yet, but it is still building up in his system.

Just tonight while I was making dinner, I turned around (he was laying on the floor behind me) and he was chewing at himself on his back and irritated it.

I got my humidifier back, so now I am just hunting for filters for it. Also, I just purchased a new vacuum with a HEPA filter, so hopefully that will help some. Unfortunately, our heating system is baseboard, so we do not have any type of filter on it....

Overall, We are hanging in there, and are managing. As far as sores on his skin, they are not as bad or as severe as last year, so that is good. (Knock on wood!)

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

UKC CH SG Falcon PacHaus BH AD CGCA TDI

#206511 - 01/18/12 10:49 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, and we have been using the Calendula Cream and spray Ruth mentioned, with great results. I have gone thru 2 tubes already and need to go out and buy a 3rd as soon as I have time. We have also been doing weekly (was doing twice weekly when he was bad, a few weeks ago)baths with the Neem Shampoo...

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

#206512 - 01/18/12 10:55 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hang in there, Ashley! It is so hard, especially once they have a flare-up. Kailor is doing better now but her feet are starting to blow up because of the cold, snow and salt on the sidewalks. The Rejuva spray works well to keep her feet at least functional. During her really bad seasons she wears long sleeve t-shirts and socks.

I do remember it took 3 weeks for that Immune Balance to start working for Kailor. We are about to try something new for her but it's for yeast problems (which is what she has).

Does he get relief after the NEEM baths?

Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#206515 - 01/18/12 11:05 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

I was hoping you hadn't updated because all is well frown

Has Mason ever been on MSM?

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#206673 - 01/19/12 02:11 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Ruth.
Yes, he gets relief from the Neem baths.

I bought him a coat to wear so he can't totally itch himself up. He doesnt mind wearing it at all. He wears it often!

Lisa, no he has never been on MSM.

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

#207503 - 01/22/12 08:03 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hmmmm, ok, don't know if I should post this here or start a new thread but I am going to post it here anyways.

I want to apologize in advance on the length of this post.

Mason's diet is changing....He has been on his RAW Diet for 9 months or so now.

We started out with beef and chicken and he did well. In addition to that he has had duck, pork, rabbit etc, since being on raw.

With his recent flare up, he can no longer tolerate the beef or the chicken (chicken wings are the only chicken part he will eat and he loves them), they make his flare up worse. So I switched his main raw protein to pork, which the holistic vet said was a good choice as it was considered "neutral". Well, needless to say he doesn't care for the pork what so ever. Tried lamb as well, but same thing, no interest in it, which I guess was ok anyways since, according to our holistic vet, its considered a "warm" meat and will only make his flare up worse, same with venison.
And turkey gives him the runs, always has...

So next I tried the premade raw by Bravo. Story short, that didn't last long either. He wouldn't eat it. (He is a very PICKY eater, if you haven't figured that out yet!)

Now, I am at a loss and don't know what to feed him, with beef, chicken, pork, turkey, lamb, duck and venison out of the picture, so I went out and bought a small bag of Grain Free Evo Salmon & Herring Formula, to feed him in the meantime until I could get a hold of our holisitic vet for the next course of action.

His stools are great on it, but his ears are red now (which I know is a result of the dairy products in the Evo.) That said, he had to come off the Evo, ASAP.

So today, I decided to go out and get a small bag of the new food by California Natural, Grain Free Kangaroo & Lentils. He had that for dinner for the first tome tonight, so we will see over the next few days how that goes.

After I got home, I got an email back from our holistic vet suggesting I change him over to a vegtable broth & whitfish/cod based diet in addition to canned pumpkin (which he is iffy about!), sweet potatoes and vegtables like califlower.
Mason HATES fish, he will only eat Tuna Fish (in water) & Sardines (in water), so this diet idea is not going to work.

Does anyone have any ideas on where we could try to go from here?

I would really like to continue with a raw diet but have run out of protein sources for him! He seems to love rabbit ( bought some of the expensive canned rabbit to try), but it isn't really available to me, neither is Bison.

Thought about home cooked diet, but have no clue how he would do on that and I don't know anything about it, like balancing etc, but again I run into the protein source issue. Also, I know it can be time consuming but I am willing to do that for him...he is my boy, his picky self and all!

Any suggestions?

Again, sorry this is so long.

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

#207521 - 01/22/12 09:10 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow, I can't believe Mason is so picky. :-(

Are your other dogs eating the raw food that he won't eat? Let me know b/c we can always buy it from you--no one is picky around here. Kailor does very well on that Answers pork but it makes her fat. She did great on NV rabbit but it now costs a fortune so that's out of the picture.

There is also canned beaver at Treats Unleashed.

If I were going to start now with home cooked I'd buy one of Monica Segal's books and use that to figure it out.

Does he like and can he eat eggs? What about beans or tofu? When I did home cooked for Chama and Basu I made a stew for them (based on the Pitcairn recipe which has grains) and I used beans as part of their protein source. That worked fine for both of them.

Whenever animals are this picky I always suspect their tummy is hurting them...is he on anything for his gut health?

Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Page 27 of 31 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Canít Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/21/13 10:27 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
tajinder, Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice
2900 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2900 Members
100 Forums
20458 Topics
326099 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts