German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180467 - 09/11/11 11:36 PM Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets?
cassadee7 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern WA
I admit I am not very up on GSD genetics, but have read some on here about Czech lines. But I sort of get the impression that a Czech dog is often a "lot of dog" for the average owner, and that it is even more important that these dogs have jobs and are managed correctly. Less forgiving, perhaps, of owner mistakes. Am I wrong here?

I ask because I got into a discussion about a particular dog today. This is a male Czech dog about a year maybe 18 months old who people got as a pet from a "DDR/Czech" breeder. they didn't want him for sports or activities; they wanted a pretty black sable. So they got this dog, I don't know much about his socialization or training, but he is a handful, has attacked and bitten other dogs, actually went after a toddler trying to bite her at one point, and must be muzzled to go out anywhere. He is very obviously fearful; when I saw him in a park setting he was cowering in his muzzle and prong behind his owner, ears down, loooking around very nervously. I hear they want to rehome him. I know this kind of thing can happen with ANY GSD (or dog for that matter) but the discussion was, that Czech lines are really not suited to be JUST pets. (Maybe some would argue no GSDSs are, really... but are Czech dogs being placed in pet-only homes a disaster waiting to happen? would you recommend a Czech dog to a family like this?
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: http://stuffsaberdoes.blogspot.com/

Top Likes: 0 
#180475 - 09/12/11 01:42 AM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: cassadee7]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario
I will only speak of the dog that I have lived with.. Zefra is 5 months old (almost) and is A LOT of dog already.

She is extremely high drive/high energy, low-medium thresholds, will go a zillion miles per hour until she is told to stop (crated) and is super mouthy.

With that said - she has superb nerves, an awesome outgoing personality and a temperament to die for.

She is very intense though, always living life to the fullest and funnest.

She can also be very serious, when she wants something, she will let you know and becomes very determined to get her own way if she thinks you are being unfair... lol.

Not sure if that is the line she is from or just her.

I will say that I have a fondness for the Czech lines as they just seem more "real" than the other dogs I have met. They seem hardier in personality/temperament and seem to have more of an attitude... lol..

Zefra is being worked in a few different venues; schutzhund, agility and soon fly ball with herding in the cards later on as well.

I KNOW she would not do well in a pet only home, she needs the outlet. She needs something to keep her busy in both mind and body. I can easily see her go nuts if she just sat around and went for a walk or two once per day with no real mental stimulation or challenge.

BUT.. lol... she does live with me, my sister and the cats and of course Stark in a high rise apartment in the middle of the city and regularly interacts with kids, elderly and other dogs. She is great with all of them.

Wild Winds Archangel Raphael "Stark", HIC, TT
G Wild Winds Zephyr "Zefra" BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
" XX " z Weberhaus

#180496 - 09/12/11 07:49 AM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: elisabeth]
Grakira Offline
Old Hand

I think it totally depends.

I have two dogs that are primarily Czech/DDR. In fact, they are related by 8 dogs in the last 5 generations.

Kira is a high drive, high energy female. I always laughed when people mentioned they had a dog that wouldn't sleep unless crated...then I got Kira! Her work ethic is amazing, she is great (although reserved) in all situations. She is insanely happy dog. There is nothing I can do that really tires her out.

Then, there is Vigo. When working with the breeder (same as Kira's), I told her I wanted a laid back pup. I got one! He is the perfect house dog and a bum. We often laugh about how lazy he is. If he doesn't get a nap during the day, he is too lazy to train in the evenings. Truly the only time he even remotely acts like Kira is when he just gets up and has to poop! Seriously! :P He's a dark sable...which was an added bonus in my book. He is not as stable in temperament as her, probably my fault as I got very sick right after I got him and socialization wasn't enough.

My other dog, who is Czech and W.German working lines, falls right in the middle of Kira and Vigo...except Grace is the sweetest, most lovey dog ever smile
Akira z Khaos (Kira) CGC, CGC-A
UCH Qahlua vom haus Huro (Ayla) CGC, CGC-A
Rest in Peace, Amazing Grace 2/10/02 to 2/20/13

http://www.amazinggracerawpetfood.com/

#180509 - 09/12/11 08:45 AM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: cassadee7]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: cassadee7
This is a male Czech dog about a year maybe 18 months old who people got as a pet from a "DDR/Czech" breeder. they didn't want him for sports or activities; they wanted a pretty black sable.

I think what you said says it all. Pretty black sable. And let me guess, that's what the breeder markets to as well??

I personally think that it might be *slightly* easier to get a dog that shouldn't be in a pet home with DDR and Czech. Think about it--these dogs were not even AVAILABLE out side the East Bloc until after the wall fell. Then suddenly they were...and no one had one lick of experience with the bloodlines AT ALL. And these were not dogs being bred for stability around kids...they were being bred, well, the be border patrol dogs. I doubt there was a single one going home to sleep with their handler's kids in bed that night. They were being thrown together like a new fad. Lot's of bad breeding happened and I think lots of bad dogs were born.

As the years went on, there were a lot of people who learned the lines and started breeding them well. Then the actually breeders involved with the Pohranicni Straze kennel branched out and started their own kennels. But, those people breeding for the "pure Czech black sable still existed" and the bad breeding kept happening.

#180536 - 09/12/11 10:18 AM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: GSDElsa]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
my question would be what kind of training has this teenager dog had?18 months is a difficult time even for the most well behaved working line gsd. although it could be "breeding", if this dog has had no training or socialization THAT would explain alot of this behaviour. if they rehome, i hope they talk to the breeder first. perhaps "they" can help. i think that most working line GSDs are not for folks that have not had them before and expect them to be "carpets"....

to answer your question ... i think you are right. for the most part i think they are too much dog for someone who wants a pet and who has only had "pets".

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

#180547 - 09/12/11 10:45 AM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
I have no experience with this line at all and I must say I do no even feel like I have the experience for one sometimes.

I think Oksana's Anton is DDR/Czech and he is a super dog but she is also very experienced.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#180589 - 09/12/11 12:34 PM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: Kayos]
cassadee7 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern WA
Oh is Anton part Czech? I will have to ask Oksana. He is very well behaved and biddable. I am sure the way a dog is raised has a lot to do with it. I always think 'high strung/high energy' when I hear Czech.
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: http://stuffsaberdoes.blogspot.com/

#180601 - 09/12/11 01:10 PM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: cassadee7]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Shawn, Zefra is at 5 months old high drive/high energy BUT she is extremely biddable. She also has AMAZING focus and easily engages with her handler or whatever I throw at her (toys/food/play/praise). She was like this from day one. No matter what is going on around her, if you call her to you she will BEG for commands and is always trying to get us to engage with her. Not sure if that is the Czech aspect of her pedigree or just a really good dog. wink All of her siblings seem to possess it, Zefra more so than the others though.

" XX " z Weberhaus

#180604 - 09/12/11 01:20 PM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: cassadee7]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Loc: CNY
Originally Posted By: cassadee7
I always think 'high strung/high energy' when I hear Czech.

Actually, I think WGWL's are probably more known for this because a those lines have been more heavily focused on sport.......def not all, but more of a "reputation" than Czech.

#180630 - 09/12/11 03:14 PM Re: Are Czech dogs more likely to have issues as pets? [Re: GSDElsa]
elisabeth Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I agree with Justine, I tend to think WGWL are more "high strung" than the Czech lines.. although, little Zeffie is proving my theory wrong... especially today... LMAO.

" XX " z Weberhaus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Mary Jane), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324503 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts