German Shepherd Home
Page 16 of 74 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73 74 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184409 - 09/27/11 05:06 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: MaxaLisa]
Hollysmom Offline

When I was battling AIHA with my GSD pup a few years ago. I gave Lixitinic daily . Lixitinic is the large animal version of the Petiinic, great for helping with anemia/low blood count.
My girl spent 5 months on Pred, antibiotics (starting with Doxycillian) and Famotadide for her stomach, along with lixitinic. Never knew what started her with the AIHA episode, everything that could be ruled out was, it just happened.
It is a long ongoing battle, with up and downs along the way, setbacks and huge steps forward. I was always scared of the huge doses of Prednisone which she was given for almost 2 months(100 mg day and she was a 5 month old puppy), then the slow patient weeks and weeks of weaning off the Pred. From start to end of meds it was 5 months....She was lucky, did not have a replapse after going off meds.

Edited by Hollysmom (09/27/11 05:07 PM)

Top Likes: 0 
#184539 - 09/28/11 10:00 AM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: Hollysmom]
Qyn Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Hollysmom, thanks for sharing your dog's story - I'm so glad that she did not relapse that is very good to read.

Quynne gsdhalo - Black Female GSD - Sept 29, 2004 - 11 Nov 2013 Deeply missed

If you don't agree with me ... you are just not listening well enough. smile

#184670 - 09/29/11 01:23 AM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: Qyn]
kelso Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kansas
Thank all of you guys again smile

Hollysmom has been very helpful to me and so glad her pup recovered and is doing well!

Kelso's still doing very well. He paces around alot when he is inside, when I let him out he will lay by the door and is calm in his crate as well, just antsy around the house.

Lisa I think I was confusing myself crazy ? Can't infection cause a secondary AIHA?...or then would it be IMHA? I guess that was the way I was thinking about it. Or like you said infection alone could cause the anemia/thrombocytopenia as well (like ticks)..or would that ultimately just be a secondary IMHA/ITP, confusing!! Or is it just semantics? I don't know enough about this to know!

Besides all that..several people have mentioned, specifically Lisa/Gayle ect that this may be a vaccine reaction pure and simple. While I think I always thought that the vaccine had a major part in this (like unmasking something else or giving his immune system a big punch) I have been thinking this whole time that there has to be that "something else" as my vet really has not said, "well this could have just been the vaccine".

With his rapid improvement clinically and after hearing from Jean Dodds I think it is more convincing that it may be just that alone? It actually kindof bothers me this wasn't something the vet has been talking more about, and also that I did not press this issue more in the beginning. Not that it would have changed the treatment thus far but... This is definately something we need to push harder asking the vet tomorrow when Kelso goes for labs. Will also of course be important as he will likely no longer get vaccinations, or a different schedule (just rabies? and I have read that they pre-treat some dogs with benadryl before that and do a cbc afterward if they have had AIHA before) Obviously important things to Kelso's future vet care.

so labs tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed for K! smile Last week we got them on friday morning so hope to update friday evening.

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007
Riko z Vom Weberhaus, "Fez" 7/29/2012

forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/1994-11/26/2006
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/9/2012

#184702 - 09/29/11 08:30 AM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: kelso]
Qyn Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Glad to read he is doing well and crossedfingers for the lab results too.

Quynne gsdhalo - Black Female GSD - Sept 29, 2004 - 11 Nov 2013 Deeply missed

If you don't agree with me ... you are just not listening well enough. smile

#185095 - 10/01/11 03:43 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: Hollysmom]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Hollysmom
When I was battling AIHA with my GSD pup a few years ago. I gave Lixitinic daily . Lixitinic is the large animal version of the Petiinic, great for helping with anemia/low blood count.
My girl spent 5 months on Pred, antibiotics (starting with Doxycillian) and Famotadide for her stomach, along with lixitinic. Never knew what started her with the AIHA episode, everything that could be ruled out was, it just happened.
It is a long ongoing battle, with up and downs along the way, setbacks and huge steps forward. I was always scared of the huge doses of Prednisone which she was given for almost 2 months(100 mg day and she was a 5 month old puppy), then the slow patient weeks and weeks of weaning off the Pred. From start to end of meds it was 5 months....She was lucky, did not have a replapse after going off meds.

Hollysmom, what a great resource you are, having nursed your dog through this!

Those are really scary dosages of steroids, but it sounds like they got your girl through this. I so hope that you she NEVER relapses crossedfingers

I had never heard of that supplement: http://www.drugs.com/vet/lixotinic.html Too bad my boy is allergic to some of the ingredients, but it sounds like a exactly what's needed when fighting this type of anemia.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#185098 - 10/01/11 03:58 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: kelso]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: kelso
Lisa I think I was confusing myself crazy ? Can't infection cause a secondary AIHA?...or then would it be IMHA? I guess that was the way I was thinking about it. Or like you said infection alone could cause the anemia/thrombocytopenia as well (like ticks)..or would that ultimately just be a secondary IMHA/ITP, confusing!! Or is it just semantics? I don't know enough about this to know!

I'm going to go with semantics! Yes, infection can cause a secondary AIHA, but I guess since most vets jump to the pure autoimmune part, I probably make a distiction where there shouldn't be any. I've seen too many dogs (with a history of tick disease) put on steroids alone, with really terrible consequences, so I probably have a knee-jerk reaction here.

Quote:
Besides all that..several people have mentioned, specifically Lisa/Gayle ect that this may be a vaccine reaction pure and simple. While I think I always thought that the vaccine had a major part in this (like unmasking something else or giving his immune system a big punch) I have been thinking this whole time that there has to be that "something else" as my vet really has not said, "well this could have just been the vaccine".

With his rapid improvement clinically and after hearing from Jean Dodds I think it is more convincing that it may be just that alone? It actually kindof bothers me this wasn't something the vet has been talking more about, and also that I did not press this issue more in the beginning. Not that it would have changed the treatment thus far but... This is definately something we need to push harder asking the vet tomorrow when Kelso goes for labs. Will also of course be important as he will likely no longer get vaccinations, or a different schedule (just rabies? and I have read that they pre-treat some dogs with benadryl before that and do a cbc afterward if they have had AIHA before) Obviously important things to Kelso's future vet care.

You will need to get a vet "on board" with this, that the vaccine played a central role in triggering this life-threatening disease process.

It is my opinion, that benadryl doesn't do much for this type of reaction. An anaphylactic reaction, yes. But this type? no, not imo. (lol, spell check wanted to make anaphylactic intergalactic crazy )

Indy was permanently damaged by her vaccines when she was young. She had her last rabies at 1 year old, and her last combo at 2 years old (stupid me shouldn't have done that last one!). She died at 13 1/2, and I had no problems with the vaccine stuff. However, I never boarded her. My then-vet told me all sorts of *wrong* things about rabies exemptions, but I got the straight scoop from animal control - had to call them, it wasn't written any where, and then I had an enlightened vet that wrote exemptions for Indy her entire life.

For an adult dog that has been previously vaccinated, there really are no issues with not giving them any more of the core vaccines, the science says, particularly after they have been boosted, they have long term immunity (some will say lifetime). Rabies, of course, has the legal issue, and you will have to do what you feel is right there. I was always confident with Indy that rabies was at least a 7 year vaccine, and hoped for much longer. I wanted to titer her before she passed, but didn't get the opportunity. I've watched other dogs get titered, and seen high rabies titers long after the vaccine was administered.

I am so hoping that the labs are showing some good knews crossedfingers

Edited by MaxaLisa (10/01/11 04:01 PM)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#185128 - 10/01/11 06:22 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: MaxaLisa]
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central Florida
Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa

I am so hoping that the labs are showing some good knews crossedfingers
Me too!!! gsdbeggin I'm hoping she'll post soon!!!

#185211 - 10/01/11 10:48 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: arycrest]
kelso Offline
Veteran

Howdy

Kelso's labs are looking better ..yeah!! Looks like his bone marrow is definately responding now and churning out new cells, his hemoglobin has improved. Dan had a long chat with our vet about a vaccine reaction (I think even more convincing now that the labs have improved so much with the steroids) and the vet is on board with discussing his future non-vaccine routine. Dan gave him the information Jean Dodds emailed to us, which I thought was good.

He told us to give Kelso Pepcid AC for his stomach.

So he is doing great, not totally himself in that he is a little over-wired but still him. We are continuing the steroids as is until next weeks lab draw as he is not yet within normal ranges (I have heard they only start to taper once they are about or at normal).

Thanks for the info Lisa! Maybe we will just titer next time for rabies?
What happened to Indy after her vaccines? And which ones? frown

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

forever our angels

#185217 - 10/01/11 11:16 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: kelso]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Very good news! Hoping for a picture of Kelso too sometime. laugh (was that too subtle?)

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#185220 - 10/01/11 11:26 PM Re: Kelso is sick :( -anemia/recent DHLPP.. [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
kelso Offline
Veteran

laugh Did you see last week's a couple pages back (the belly in the sun?)

I will work on it! Might have to put him in a sweater to keep his belly warm for these kindof chilly (not really) fall nights we have been having..hehe

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

forever our angels

Page 16 of 74 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 73 74 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
Yesterday at 10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20445 Topics
325918 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts