German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204878 - 01/10/12 09:32 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
PositiveDog Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
Just back to say I read the other post wrong and now realize your current dog is a GSD.

My 2c is that it would better to resolve your dog's fear issues before even considering adding another dog to the mix. Although it could work out, others have given you good information on what might be in store for you if it does not.

I would want to build some confidence first dog. Does your trainer have any ideas to help with that?

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

Top Likes: 0 
#204982 - 01/11/12 10:05 AM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
AllMyShepherds Offline

It's not uncommon for GSDs to go through fear phases, usually during adolescence. A behaviorist where I used to take Layla to doggy day care suggested that when she showed fear around various objects, to simply make light of the object by using high pitched phrases such as, "Oh! How silly!" Rather than force the dog near an object they fear, just do the "How silly!" thing and saunter away. Dont' pet (or reward or comfort) the dog for showing fear, but don't force the dog toward a feared object, either.

I agree that formal classes will probably help.

#205010 - 01/11/12 12:03 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: AllMyShepherds]
jeasy02 Offline

Hi -

Sorry for not responding yesterday as it was so hectic at work and then by the time I got home I was so exhausted.

But thank you so much for all of your responses. I definitely agree that I should have my Bruschi under control before adding another pup, I totally agree with that 100%. And for that reason alone I think we may wait a little bit longer until after he has finished his training classes.

As far as the jumping, I should rephrase that. he does not jump on me when I come into the house after not seeing him all day, he is just hyper and runs all over the place. But my wife has been keeping him at bay by making him sit for awhile until he is calm. I do like the the idea of making his mind go elsewhere by having him fetch something or get something so he can take his mind off of us for a second.

I will definitely get his training going on. He does sit when I say sit but maybe not in all situations. Like if he is hyper or if he is at a dog park he may not sit when I say it the first time but when I say it the second time he does it.

But thank you and I agree that I should wait. I guess I am so eager in getting him a friend that I forget that I need to make sure he is fully disciplined 100% before adding another to the house. Because the last thing I need is to have the new puppy pick up his traits and if he is not compliant at all times then that will be double trouble and hard to train both.

Thank you!

#205012 - 01/11/12 12:06 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
jeasy02 Offline

Oh to answer the fear question -

A few weeks ago during New Years one of my neighbors friends was walking to my house by mistake because he was drunk. I was getting ready to walk my dog and we were standing on the steps and Bruschi saw him. He then lunged forward and started barking at him. So I think he will be protective of the house if need be. But if we are walking down the street for example and a car is driving by he will pretty much hide behind me or have that scared look. If he is laying down on his bed and if I have my clothes hamper right next to him and I go to move it, he will jump and run away. If I am opening a trash bag he will go running away. So I don't get it. I hear GSD's are naturally cautious dogs as all dogs should be.

#205013 - 01/11/12 12:10 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
jeasy02 Offline

And one last thing - I know this is going to sound really bad and I may receive some heat for this and I'll take it but one of the reasons why I didn't go through the formal training is because his ears are not erect like most GSD's. This is my first GSD and dog period and to not have his ears go up it was kind of discouraging. And I just didn't really take the initiative to go through the training and other things the proper way. I got tired of people asking me is he purebred, is he mixed, and I just had that "I don't care attitude." And people say you have to log your dog for who they are and so on and I do. Trust me I love my Bruschi to death and he is my boy. But it's hard sometimes looking at him when his ears are to the side like an airplane. I remember someone from this forum they said their dog's ears didn't go up until 4 years. So I am still hopeful! smile But Yes I know it's wrong to think like that and sometimes I can't help it. But he is still my boy no matter what

#205017 - 01/11/12 12:34 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
sorry, but that is a silly reason not to TRAIN your dog. i agree, ears not erect on a purebred is hard to explain to others, but i think you are seeing the reprecussions of not doing formal training.

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

#205020 - 01/11/12 12:41 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
jeasy02 Offline

Originally Posted By: Schnickle Fritz
sorry, but that is a silly reason not to TRAIN your dog. i agree, ears not erect on a purebred is hard to explain to others, but i think you are seeing the reprecussions of not doing formal training.

Oh absolutely I definitely agree it is a silly reason not to train. It was not just the ears, but the ears played a big part. Because I felt as though I don't have a true GSD and he doesn't look a certain way and this and that. So while all of that was in my head I was just unmotivated to do any formal training. But again I am seeing a different light now especially since I want to get a new puppy and I am seeing the reprocussions. Overall he is a good dog and he listens but you can definitley tell he needs that formal training.

#205021 - 01/11/12 12:53 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland, Oregon
And I'm going to throw this out for you to think about - what if down the road it is the right time to add a second dog to your family and that dog's ears don't stand either?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think it really important that you realize that there are no guarantees that and pups ears will stand.

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/

#205024 - 01/11/12 12:57 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Barb E]
jeasy02 Offline

Originally Posted By: Barb E
And I'm going to throw this out for you to think about - what if down the road it is the right time to add a second dog to your family and that dog's ears don't stand either?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think it really important that you realize that there are no guarantees that and pups ears will stand.

That is true and we thought about that. There is no guarantee as you state that the ears will go up. But the only guarantee that we will have is if the ears are already up by the time we pick up the puppy. It may not be until 3 or 4 months but if they are up then we will know for sure. If we pick up the puppy around 8 weeks or 12 and either one is up or if they are both half way up, while it is still no guarantee it is a good chance at that point they will go up. Again no guarantee unless I see both ears already erect by the time I pick him/her up.

#205026 - 01/11/12 01:10 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland, Oregon
So you give the breeder a deposit of hundreds of dollars and then go to pick up the pup and the ears are down, you're going to just walk away and leave those hundreds of dollars behind?

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
May 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
05/03/18 10:41 AM
Comments for the May 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
05/03/18 10:38 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20443 Topics
325889 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts