German Shepherd Home
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205534 - 01/13/12 09:48 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
i know you have mentioned you wanted the dog for protection. just bbecause you become the leader does NOT MEAN IN ANY WAY that your dog will not protect you. when he is mature, you will find he will have your back (and your wife's and beautiful daughters, too!) in situations when he is needed .

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

Top Likes: 0 
#205559 - 01/13/12 11:15 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Schnickle Fritz, a dog that is afraid of every thing as the OP stated is not a dog that I would want protecting me. But in a way they do have their own value as a deterrent, more people were afraid of my DeeDee (rip) when she was on her home turf than Lakota (rip) or Cheyenne who I know would protect me. DeeDee was all bark bark, I will scare you off before you get to close. That can be a good deterrent.

Raya is my alerter, she is very alert to noises, she can tell me when a vehicle pulls off the road and into our driveway and never see them. But the cats can play on the deck and she never makes a peep.

So a deterrent in some cases can be just as good as a dog that isn't ready or capable of doing real protection.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#205563 - 01/13/12 11:49 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
I haven't gone back and read everything....

I "get" the thing about the ears. With Indy (non-GSD), it was the opposite, I was really bummed when one went up, because I really like her ears down.

The training thing, I thing, I think that's been covered. I also agree, as a general rule, you need to train with your dog, and not send your dog to training. HOWEVER, I think it's MORE important for a dog that is afraid.

First, I don't trust people with my dogs. I have seen very bad things happen when dogs have been sent away to training. It might not be terrible, but what you can't see, you can't control.

Second, assuming everything is perfect with the trainer that you have chosen, for a dog that has fears, all the reasons that folks mentioned above hold, but even moreso. Training *with your dog* will develop the trust that your needs to have you in you so that the dog can start letting go of that fear.

For a fearful dog, I would make sure you are not feeding a food with corn or sorghum or by-products, would add some fish oil if it's tolerated, would go on the most minimum vaccination schedule that you can get away with, would watch for tick diseases and for future signs of hypothyroidism.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#205666 - 01/14/12 08:07 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: MaxaLisa]
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
I agree that training with the dog would be beneficial to the relationship as dog following leader... however, I think being present and watching and just participating works too, though I might be wrong. The reason I said this is because I was the one who trained my dog... but no matter the fact that I did the raising, the exercises, the training... she will respond to my husband over me. She'll do what he says instead of listening to me... why, I don't know. Maybe it's because she considered him the alpha in the pack before I started the training, or because he's got a deep voice and is bigger than me.

However, she's more relaxed with the hubby around, but really goes into guard dog mode when he's not around me. She's really more likely to attack someone when I am alone than she is with the husband around. Hence is why I worked hard on the sit stay mode and learned her body language and learned my own body language so I can ensure no unnnecessarying nipping/biting occurs.

With that in mind, I'd like to make a suggestion to you. When your dog goes into fear aggression... watch his body language. And pay attention to your own body image. If your shoulders tense up, making you appear bigger, he's going to take that as a defense mode. You're reacting to a threat, so he will react too. If your hand is clenching to the leash- that's tension. If the leach line is tight and not loose- that is also tension. Tension builds aggression and you'll need to learn how to make yourself relax. Take deep breaths. Dogs can read us like an open book if we're not careful about the image we are exhibiting. If you're worried about something that will trigger aggression, such as a dog coming close, remain calm. Talk to him, have him lay down. If you seem calm and not worried, that will help the dog calm down. He'll probably have his hair stick up, but that's ok. Calm him down and keep talking to him.

Top Likes: 1 
#205686 - 01/14/12 11:11 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
a dog that is afraid of every thing as the OP stated is not a dog that I would want protecting me.
a 20 ms old gsd in not mature...

#205719 - 01/15/12 09:53 AM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline

Originally Posted By: Schnickle Fritz
Quote:
a dog that is afraid of every thing as the OP stated is not a dog that I would want protecting me.
a 20 ms old gsd in not mature...

At 6 months old you can get a pretty good gauge of the stability of a dog's nerve. At 24 - 36 months the dog isn't going become a more solid nerved dog. At 20 months old and afraid of everything IMHO is not a strong nerved dog. Training will benefit the OP and the dog, but you can't fix poor nerve. You can teach a dog under less amounts of pressure to respond a certain way, but when more pressure is applied the dog will always revert to genetics. This is why nervy dogs can be titled, trainers will spend day in and day out training the dog, raising the bar and training more. Inside the ring the dog is a super star outside the ring the dog is a nut bag.

Like I said learning to become a good leader will help, training will help, but as far as a protection dog, a dog that is fear aggressive (if that is what the OP's dog is) is a liability because under pressure he will always revert back to genetics.

Fuzzybutt the cat.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#205840 - 01/15/12 10:37 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

oddly i beleieve that thier are gsd lines that mature late. may or may not be the posters dog. i think that what you deem nervymay be immaturity

#205846 - 01/15/12 11:01 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
GrandJan Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE PA
I’m sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is the dog neutered? If so, and was at a young age – I would also say this dog has not fully matured yet¸ and some of his hyper-nervousness may smooth out over time. Constant calm leadership, firm discipline and dedicated training will go a long way toward settling this dog down.

Beau & Chance - German/Anatolian Shepherds
Bailey - Labrador Granddog

#205848 - 01/15/12 11:08 PM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: GrandJan]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline

I am not saying a 20 month old is fully mature, there is also that possible late fear period that happens. I think the OP and family would benefit from a good trainer.

Fuzzybutt the cat.

#205904 - 01/16/12 11:37 AM Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: GrandJan]
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: GrandJan
I’m sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is the dog neutered? If so, and was at a young age – I would also say this dog has not fully matured yet¸ and some of his hyper-nervousness may smooth out over time. Constant calm leadership, firm discipline and dedicated training will go a long way toward settling this dog down.

headbang I forgot about the neutering part. I thought a dog tends to be more alert and reactive when not neutered? I know that neutering can curb a dog's behavior quite a bit...

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
May 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
05/03/18 10:41 AM
Comments for the May 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
05/03/18 10:38 AM
Kody, Itsy & Ziggy
by Shilohsmom
05/03/18 12:03 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Pirates Lair, Major’s Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy, wyattGSD
2894 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2894 Members
100 Forums
20442 Topics
325880 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts