German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#214874 - 02/23/12 01:22 PM My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

So, next Tuesday, Max is scheduled for a dental cleaning, x-rays and blood work and I am freaking out because he will have to be under anesthesia. I have heard that it is a risk to put a dog under total anesthesia.

I would appreciate your sharing your experience with your dog's dental procedures/cleaning/anesthesia and any advise you may have regarding prior or after care or questions I should ask the Vet. Max is 8 years old.

Thanks

I hope I have this in the right forum this time.

Top Likes: 0 
#214878 - 02/23/12 01:31 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
I have never had a problem with any dog or any of my cats either. There is a risk with everyting but you need to weigh them. What will be the consequence of dental disease? If there are any evident issues with the bloodwork or sign of illness they will not put him under.

Thankfully, most dogs only need dentals every so often. Havoc had his first one at 4.5 and only because he needed xrays of his shoulders and I figured I would just have it done as it would need to be done within a year anyway and it saved a trip to the vet and anesthesia.

They say feeding raw substantially reduces the numebr of needed dentals. I do not feed raw so can't tell you if that is true. I think my dogs have dentals about every 4 years to 5 years. Kayos did not need one til she was 6, she will probably get another one next year and that might be all she ever needs. My old Max needed one every 2 years. Havoc could have gone 5 years I think.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#214885 - 02/23/12 02:06 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: Kayos]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
A couple things, I always have the dogs pre-tested for anesthesia. If I am worried about vWd (von Willebrand's disease) http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/anderson/index.php Then I will have them Pre-tested.

There are risks, but there are also risks to not having some surgeries. Cheyenne had her first dental at 5 or 6 years old. She had another last year when she had a broken tooth.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

#214889 - 02/23/12 02:35 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

Kathy, I am not sure I wouldn't mess up feeding my dogs raw. Have thought about it before but I am so clueless as to how to go about it including adding the right supplements, etc. I guess I am a chicken because I am afraid I am going to mess up and hurt my babies not feeding them correctly. Thank you for the reassurance that Max should be ok. Thank you so much.

Val, this is exactly the kind of specific info I need. They will be doing a blood test, so I am going to ask if they will check for a bleeding disorder. Max has had blood tests before but I am not sure they included this particular element. Thank you so much.

#214894 - 02/23/12 03:20 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
Aodhán had a few dentals over the years and never had a problems with them. But I never really liked having them done because of the sedation.

When Caleb was about a year old (so almost 2 years ago) I started given both of them one chicken leg a day after their evening meal. Their main diet was a grain-free kibble at the time. At Aodhán's next annuals visit after I did that, my vet looked at her teeth and said they looked great - no need for a cleaning. So you might be able to get away with doing something like that and feed mainly kibble. I don't think the one chicken leg a day horribly unbalances the diet.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#214898 - 02/23/12 03:27 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: Woodreb]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
I started given both of them one chicken leg a day after their evening meal. Their main diet was a grain-free kibble at the time. At Aodhán's next annuals visit after I did that, my vet looked at her teeth and said they looked great - no need for a cleaning. So you might be able to get away with doing something like that and feed mainly kibble. I don't think the one chicken leg a day horribly unbalances the diet.

That sounds doable. Thanks. Did your dogs get diarrhea at first? Max's stomach is very sensitive and gets disturbed very easily. Did you give him just the leg bone or the bone with the meat and skin on it? I could try it using maybe 1/2 leg to start out with and see where that goes. I feed a grain free kibble as well and it seems to agree with my crew of three but that stuff just sticks on the teeth. That can't be good for the teeth.

#214905 - 02/23/12 03:55 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
Actually I started them with chicken wings, bone, meat and skin. I figured I'd start with something small to see how they did and tolerated it. Fortunately for me, neither Caleb or Aodhán had problems with sensitive stomach.

I believe that when I first started to do the legs, I took the skin off and gave them the meat and bone. When I saw they had no issues with that, I just gave them the whole leg - they usually amounted to about 5-6 ounces of meat and bone.

Maybe you could try wings and remove as much of the skin as possible as a starter?

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#214906 - 02/23/12 03:55 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
mspiker03 Offline
Addict

Loc: Nor Cal
I would start feeding maybe chicken drum sticks if you are looking for something smaller than quarters and feed them partially frozen. That will help make sure your dog chews the bone. I actually hand held leg quarters for a bit when I transitioned my dogs to raw when they were 2 (7.5 years old now and never have had a dental).

RIP:Levi vom Grunenfeld-I miss you every day

#214909 - 02/23/12 04:11 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
TMarie Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: LMS

Val, this is exactly the kind of specific info I need. They will be doing a blood test, so I am going to ask if they will check for a bleeding disorder. Max has had blood tests before but I am not sure they included this particular element. Thank you so much.

They normally don't test for vWD unless you ask for it, or they have concerns and are testing for it to rule it out. It is important that you do ask about the vWD factor before any surgeries are performed. My Jarie has vWD and I found out the hard way.

Other then that, I have never had any problems during or after any dentals performed on any of mine. I have 2 of mine going in next month too.

#214936 - 02/23/12 05:49 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TMarie]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

Wow, you guys really inspire me to try this. I think I am going to try the wings and drumb sticks....one at the time..wait a day and see and if all is well, continue. I am going to do the same with my other two. I know they will enjoy this.

TMarie, I am going to have time to talk to the Vet tech on Tuesday when I drop him off and will tell them and will make sure they run the test. Thank you. I knew it was a good thing for me to post. This is so very helpful. Who knows..if the chicken stuff goes well I may try to venture out to more very slowly and learn as I go. Will see. So, I will try to find some specials. I am excited now. Thank you again for all of your help.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
BOING
by DancingCavy
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20334 Topics
324511 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts