German Shepherd Home
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215751 - 02/27/12 04:53 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
GrandJan Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE PA
All the best thoughts go with you and sweetie Max tomorrow. crossedfingers

Beau & Chance - German/Anatolian Shepherds
Bailey - Labrador Granddog

Top Likes: 0 
#215760 - 02/27/12 06:01 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: GrandJan]
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central Florida
What a sweet face!!! wub

Sending Max my best wishes for his toofies tomorrow!!!

#215796 - 02/27/12 07:47 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: arycrest]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

Thanks everyone. We appreciate it. Will post how it goes tomorrow.

#215942 - 02/28/12 01:42 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

So I dropped Max off this morning for his appointment and talked with the Vet about the vWd test. He told me that while they are able to do the test locally, they will have to send it out to an outside lab which means that the results would be back in a few days. When I first talked to the receptionist several days ago, I specifically mentioned that I wanted that test included to which she assured me that I could talk with the nurse when I drop him off and it would be taken care of then. mad I *obviously* don't have time NOW to have the test done because the procedure is being done TODAY. Seriously? You couldn't tell me that when I spoke with you a few days ago so I could have brought him in to have it done prior to today?

I was like...I need to know whether he is susceptible to this blood disorder and he suggested they do a more sophisticated blood test which should give them an indicator of that condition if he has it. So, I agreed to that and shared with him that I wanted him to have a blood test done anyway to get baseline data because I am going to switch to Raw feeding and will re-test in a few months to see how his values have changed negatively or positively after the change of diet. His response:"You know us Vets do not like that whole Raw feeding thing". I responded:"Yeah, I figured but I am going to give this an honest try and have his blood re-checked and if he is doing good with it, that's what I will be doing. If not, I can always get him back on kibble".

Max should be ready to be picked up after 3 p.m. Lexie and Sophie are confused not having our Teddy Bear here. They probably think I ditched him. I guess I can look like a hero coming back with him again this afternoon, huh? LOL.

Ooops, sorry, this is way longer than I wanted it to be. Pardonez moi!!

Edited by LMS (02/28/12 01:43 PM)

#215983 - 02/28/12 04:14 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
Woodreb Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
Originally Posted By: LMS
... So, I agreed to that and shared with him that I wanted him to have a blood test done anyway to get baseline data because I am going to switch to Raw feeding and will re-test in a few months to see how his values have changed negatively or positively after the change of diet. His response:"You know us Vets do not like that whole Raw feeding thing". I responded:"Yeah, I figured but I am going to give this an honest try and have his blood re-checked and if he is doing good with it, that's what I will be doing. If not, I can always get him back on kibble".

I's also say - what did they eat 100 years ago, when kibble didn't exist. laugh

My regular vet is on the fence, would rather we fed a kibble, but doesn't give me a hard time about what we feed.
Aodhán's chiropractic vet was all for feeding a raw diet - being a holistic vet she was much more open to raw feeding.

I'm sure Max will be happy to see you when you go to pick him up and everyone will be glad when he's home.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#216009 - 02/28/12 06:08 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: Woodreb]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

Max is back home and doing well. The results:

Stage III Periodontitis. They did not have to pull any teeth though.

Blood Panel (CBC Level IV) came out good. Everything is within the normal range.

X-Ray. HD, primarily in his left hip.

Vet made it sound like no big deal but I don't know. The left hip looks pretty bad to me. He suggested Max lose 7 pounds and stressed not to give him too much protein because that would cause him to gain weight. He mentioned that feeding Raw may give him too much protein. I don't agree with him but I thought it was interesting that he said that. So, that's the scoop.

Thanks for looking and being interested in our Maxi Poo. Vet put him on Clindamycin (300 mg) for the next few days (Antibiotic).

He wants Max to get a yearly dental cleaning and if need be also Intermittent Antibiotic Therapy. I told him I wanted to see what the Raw feeding, gnawing on bones will do and take it from there.

Edited by LMS (02/28/12 06:09 PM)

#216013 - 02/28/12 06:24 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: TimberWolf]
PositiveDog Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
A yearly dental cleaning? Yikes!

Wonder what he will say when Max's teeth are all bright and shiny next year?

Good information on these posts.

I am so sorry to see the HD - hopefully when Max drops a few pounds that will help keep it from becoming more severe.

Thanks all.

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#216017 - 02/28/12 06:42 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: PositiveDog]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
If you are not I would put Max on a joint supplement. There are usually some good suggestions from members as to a good one (I use a human supplement and it works well for my dogs).

The hip joints are pretty shallow, not the worst I have seen. Weight loss would be a good thing and then low impact exercise, walking is good but on grass not concrete.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

#216024 - 02/28/12 07:11 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
Glad the dental went well! This is what I do for HD:

Springtime Inc. Joint Health and/or Longevity (Rafi gets a triple dose)
2220mg Ester C/day (work up to it gradually)
Omega 3-6-9 capsules

Swimming and long walks are great for joints.

It is very important to get the weight off. The best way to do that is to increase (moderate) exercise and feed a good quality food that doesn't have a lot of extra carbs.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#216054 - 02/28/12 09:26 PM Re: My Max's Dental Cleaning Appointment [Re: PositiveDog]
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
A yearly dental cleaning? Yikes!

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. LOL

Quote:
Wonder what he will say when Max's teeth are all bright and shiny next year?

I hope so. That would be great and a huge relief.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
BOING
by DancingCavy
09:59 AM
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
2 registered (Woodreb, DancingCavy), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20334 Topics
324509 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts