German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#226980 - 04/24/12 09:44 PM Separation Anxiety (Jazz)
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
I think that little Jazmine has some SA going on. Not only does she panic if I am out of her vision, she freaks when put in a crate or kennel. I have to imagine, spending 6 weeks as puppy in a shelter, and a stray before that, she's not very secure.

Today she was in a 3 ft high xpen (she is 1 ft tall at the withers and 13 lbs), and was freaking out a bit. I was about 20 feet from her, and figured as she saw me, she would settle. Instead it escalated and she scaled the pen and ran to me in a frantic state. I then switch to a airline crate - had to get my lawn mowed.

So, just wondering if folks have some pitfalls I need to avoid as I work through this, or any other helpful hints. I figure a lot of this will be just time and patience and consistency.

Edited by MaxaLisa (01/22/13 02:49 PM)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Top Likes: 0 
#226988 - 04/24/12 09:59 PM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: MaxaLisa]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

And she's fine if you are not home, right?

Foster Nico...same thing. If I am gone, there is no destruction or apparent freaking out. When I get back, his greeting is frantic.

But he is way worse if I am home and away from where he can see me.

When I am home, and go to the bathroom (I do not allow the whole pack to accompany, first because, come on! and second, I have an elderly cat who had not lived with dogs, and she is down that hallway), he goes in a crate for safety and starts screeching/peeping. I tried to make a phone call (I always hide for those because if someone "sees" something and they all start barking it is a little unprofessional sounding) and was out of his line of vision - needless to say, the caller could hear him. Even going from one room to another and not letting him follow me...eeep! And you saw his pics with Bella - freaking out that I walked away.

If I have the other dogs in their crates, so it's safe for him to be out alone (sort of) or just him with a couple (safety again) he will just sit at the end of the hallway and wait for me.

It is not occasional, it is consistent. I had googled what I thought he was mixed with (Sheltie?) and found that they are a potential SA dog, but I had never seen an "out of sight, out of my mind" type thing before. Because he doesn't just bark and then stop, it is the whole time I am getting ready or whatever. mouthsealed http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/shelties.html

I am wondering if it's an age thing.

So do you mind if I ride your thread like a remora on a shark? Wherever he ends up....this is not a desirable trait! And it's not something you can work on easily - if you are away from them...how do you shape behavior? Or maybe it's easy and I am just blown away by the high pitched screeching in my head!

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN (04/24/12 10:03 PM)

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#226999 - 04/24/12 10:35 PM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Jean, it sounds really similar. I am hoping that she is not freaking when I'm gone. I do think it takes awhile for her to settle after I leave though.

Yesterday(?) When she was so playful and hyper, I think part of it was leftover frantic from the crate.

Jean, I was hoping that you'd tell me what to do!

I did just put her in the kennel while I was doing something about 3 feet away w/o an overreaction. So maybe it's just a slow increase, I don't know! I guess we'll have to figure it out.

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#227005 - 04/24/12 10:46 PM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: MaxaLisa]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
Does she need to be crated? Will she be destructive? Basia was a stray followed by being caged up in a shelter followed by being in a foster home with 19 other dogs (lots of anxiety there). Her foster parents told me that she could not be crated as she would immediately freak out like crazy, so I never bothered trying it or teaching her that it was okay because I didn't want to spend the money on a crate for nothing. But turns out she doesn't need one. She is non destructive.

Maybe she just has a lot of ill feelings about being caged as a result from her past. It'll take time for her to realize that she is safe with you and that she is in a loving forever home.

#227007 - 04/24/12 10:50 PM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: BasiaBear]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
And also, for me... basia bonded and became loyal to me in a short period of time but it took until now (so about 9-10 months) for her to trust my instincts and my reactions and act accordingly, instead of reacting based off of her uncertainty. Maybe Jazmine is just uncertain?

#227010 - 04/24/12 11:17 PM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: BasiaBear]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Uh, no, Lisa, no help from me. Unless what I've done is put his crate on wheels so I can drag him from room to room helps you. blush rofl I have to crate and rotate but also like a dog to be used to and be able to settle in their bed for after eating quiet time, and if they, heaven forbid, have to have surgery...

Basia....so sweet. Almost a year!

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#227011 - 04/24/12 11:18 PM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: BasiaBear]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Eastern Oregon
Danielle has some good points...a lot of it is time to settle in, time to become bonded to you and time to learn to trust you are not going to leave her in a bad way.

Nadia was very much like you and Jean have described. I used a voice activated tape recorder to try to record what was going on when I wasn't home. The problem with that is that it records everything fine, but there is no break in the noises from the dog to know if it was constant or occasional. I tried a LOT of different things with her along the way, but found that she was best behaved if kenneled outside when I was gone.

Once she bonded to me things got better. Training was essential to my sanity. Focusing on her behaviors as much as I did gave me the insight I needed to get through the rough spots.

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.

#227025 - 04/25/12 01:44 AM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: BasiaBear]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Originally Posted By: BasiaBear
Does she need to be crated? Will she be destructive? Basia was a stray followed by being caged up in a shelter followed by being in a foster home with 19 other dogs (lots of anxiety there). Her foster parents told me that she could not be crated as she would immediately freak out like crazy, so I never bothered trying it or teaching her that it was okay because I didn't want to spend the money on a crate for nothing. But turns out she doesn't need one. She is non destructive.

Maybe she just has a lot of ill feelings about being caged as a result from her past. It'll take time for her to realize that she is safe with you and that she is in a loving forever home.

I think that this is part of it, but being a 6 month old puppy, I don't have many options. She's a bit into exploring everything, and being small, is find all sorts of spots to try to crawl behind (like over the VCR to get to the back where the tv and electrical wiring is!

I would be okay with an xpen, but clearly I can't keep her there either, since she is going to hurt herself.

I'm sure that she is unsure of yourself, you are right!

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#227026 - 04/25/12 01:50 AM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: MaxaLisa]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Jean...I need to get me some wheels wink

Bev, the tape recorder is a good idea. I think it would set me at ease, to know that she is settling hopefully soon after I leave. I think with fresh batteries, my digital recorder will record for something like 6 hours. Oh my, I would be afraid to leave her outside kenneled, if just for the noise that she makes, but here we have snakes and stuff that I worry about.

I have a crate that has one of those pheromone calming inserts, and used that today, which seemed a little bit better, but I also moved the crate into this smaller area that we've been staying in, so who knows. Will have to think of what else I might try - I have on order remedies to detox from the vaccinations, so one thing at a time.

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#227045 - 04/25/12 06:33 AM Re: Separation Anxiety [Re: MaxaLisa]
Good_Karma Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Belfast, NY
When our two were pups, we used an MP3 player to record them when we were gone.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 ... 29 30 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Mary Jane), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324503 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts