Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275691 - 03/16/13 12:42 AM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: Deno]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Deno
Leah, no need to get all worked up, I just said some may see it as bigoted
when you assign certain traits to certain breeds. This can't even be debated as it is a fact.

Well, see, this previous reference wasn't to breed traits, this was about general genetic influence on behaviour and personality.

If you yourself were thinking breed traits but didn't articulate, then we don't have a human equivalent, as far as I know. I have yet to see a human breeding program that has been prolonged and sustained, that breeds for things like hair color, posture, etc.

Edited by MaxaLisa (03/16/13 01:31 AM)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Top Likes: 0 
#275692 - 03/16/13 12:53 AM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: Hatterasser]
Deno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fern Creek Ky
All I am saying Hatterasser is that what ever nature gives us in a dog, a knowledgeable and loving owner can make some kind of a difference.

Thanks for your comment on Lexie and good luck to you and your dogs.

#275694 - 03/16/13 01:33 AM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: Deno]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

All I am saying Hatterasser is that what ever nature gives us in a dog, a knowledgeable and loving owner can make some kind of a difference.

Yes, this is exactly what most of us have been saying from the beginning.

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

Top Likes: 1 
#275720 - 03/16/13 11:02 AM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: MaxaLisa]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa

Yes, this is exactly what most of us have been saying from the beginning.

Yes!

We can't take a geneticly temperamental nerve-bag and make that dog a great LE K9.
We can perhaps though, take that same dog and make it a great pet...with the right training methods,the right owner and trainer! Which smile probably wouldn't be me!!

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/

#275730 - 03/16/13 12:41 PM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: Deno]
Good_Karma Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Belfast, NY
Leah, no need to get all worked up, I just said some may see it as bigoted
when you assign certain traits to certain breeds. This can't even be debated as it is a fact.

Your link about alcoholism running in families is debatable and far from conclusive. Some old timers might even say studies like this are just an excuse.

I would like to say it was my expertise in picking dogs but this isn't the case, and I have always violated the rule of not buying from a back yard breeder.

It may very well be just dumb luck that I have always ended up with handsome and trainable dogs.

Don't worry Deno, nothing you say is going to get me worked up wink I just am a bit of a stickler for words and their usage and connotations. To use a word like bigot or racist in a thread where we are discussing human and canine genetic traits struck me as inappropriate in this context. I would not want anyone reading this thread to get the wrong impression.

You can certainly explore the many studies done on alcoholism and heritability (or dismiss them entirely and go with your own personal beliefs, I like to call those "heart facts" smile ). The link I posted was just one of dozens I found in a quick search. Perhaps it is my own scientific background coloring my viewpoint, but I tend to respect the studies done by researchers (in the human and canine fields) much more so than the experiences of one person (even if that person is myself!).

#275738 - 03/16/13 03:37 PM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: Deno]
Hatterasser Offline
Addict

Loc: Outer Banks, NC

Thanks for your comment on Lexie and good luck to you and your dogs.

And the key word here, Deno, is SOME. We can make SOME changes but as I've said, often times those changes are unpredictable. If genetically our dog has a weakness or is 'unsound' in a given area, it is possible that, given the right trigger and our failure in the moment to notice that the trigger has taken place, our dog will react instinctively as opposed to the training we've spent so much time giving.

In a dog like Thor, for example, I did the right things. Took him to OB training, socialized him, practiced NILIF, watched over him carefully for ills, ailments and inherent fears (like fear of thunder) but when he perceived a threat, and I will admit I wasn't watching him closely, he reacted. All my training went out the window. Why? Because genetically, he was a fearful dog. I don't know his history...who bred him, with what parents, where he came from originally, etc. But I knew and was backed up on this that he was fear aggressive. Ergo, he had to be watched every second he spent in those situations that could trigger that aggression, something often forgotten when having a pleasant conversation with a well known neighbor, as an example.

You have been so lucky...or perhaps it's not necessarily luck but good judgement. When you have the time to see a pup with its parents and siblings, and you choose the one that seems the most well-rounded, you have a far better chance of ending up with a sound dog. Kudos to you for having done that with Lexie.

Thank you for your well wishes. Thor, bless his troubled heart, is waiting for me 'at the bridge', so to speak, while Freya and I are developing a relationship long overdue, given the amount of time, effort and energy Thor took while he was alive. If I need well wishes, it will be when I rescue my next dog, given that once again I will probably have little knowledge of his/her background and heaven only knows what I'll be getting. *laughing*
I Aear c‚n ven na mar

#275769 - 03/16/13 05:08 PM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: Deno]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Leah, no need to get all worked up, ...

Perhaps a bit of an aside, but I always find this type of response offensive, trying dismiss a sound argument (in this case both logically and scientifically) by assigning it to an emotional outburst (which it was not). This is a technique often used by some males when addressing strong and asssertive women - that whole double standard thing.

Leah, just calm your pretty little self down wink Don't worry yourself with facts and logic smile

Max-n-Indy

Health Index

#275772 - 03/16/13 05:22 PM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: MaxaLisa]
JakodaCD OA Offline
Veteran

Loc: Old Lyme CT
Quote:
My new female pup Lexie is the most aggressive pup I have ever seen including Satan, my first male.

I guess it's a Checz thing,

I saw this, and wondered what you meant by "aggressive?", agressive how? just curious.

Masi (my gsd) would be rather insulted by "it's a czech thing" ..it's c z e c h btw:) since she is predominately czech.
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Danger Danger von Kleinen Hain aka "Masi"
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx aka "Jynx"
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge aka "Jag"
"Angel" Sami
"Angel" Dodge

#275785 - 03/16/13 07:20 PM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: JakodaCD OA]
SunCzarina Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: West Bay RI
Dominance and aggression are often confused for the more correct terms: self assertive and confident.

Otto is a hard dog who exhibits traits that are often mistaken as dominant. He's not.

Otto von Hena-c 5/23/08
Penny the Pocket Panther 8/2/10
Venus of Crooked Creek 1/25/13 Vivacious V!!!

#275853 - 03/17/13 11:50 AM Re: It's all in how you raise them... [Re: JakodaCD OA]
Deno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fern Creek Ky
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OA
Quote:
My new female pup Lexie is the most aggressive pup I have ever seen including Satan, my first male.

I guess it's a Checz thing,

I saw this, and wondered what you meant by "aggressive?", agressive how? just curious.

Masi (my gsd) would be rather insulted by "it's a czech thing" ..it's c z e c h btw:) since she is predominately czech.

I may have used the wrong word here. She will back Dex off the food bowl
while growling and snarling and she isn't afraid to bite him in the process.

It's a whole another story with Sabel, my 13 year old female. Lexie has learned quick to pay her the upmost respect.

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Canít Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/21/13 10:27 AM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl
2899 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2899 Members
100 Forums
20458 Topics
326096 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts