German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#274492 - 03/07/13 07:52 AM "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD?
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Loc: CNY
I received an email from the director of one of the rescues I volunteer with asking if I could foster this dog because she needs someone with "shepherd" experience since they think the dog has shepherd in it. Off the bat, I do not think that is the case AT ALL. What do you guys think?

But, either way she needs to go into a foster that has more experience with "stronger" personalities. She didn't do well in a kennel environment (there is a kennel that will keep a dog here and there for free for us), so they took her out of there. But she isn't doing much better in the house it sounds like.

I, unfortunately, am not in a position to help in any tangible way. The dog sounds like a sweetie, but definitely has some issues that are an absolute no-go in my house. But I thought I'd give you guys a background on the problems and see if you have any suggestions I might be able to pass on.

They say she has an "alpha" personality and and is a rescource guarder of toys. Those, meh, not such a big deal. it sounds like this dog is TOTALLY independant and wants nothing to do with the fosters. IMO that is the antithesis to the typical shepherd personality.

The real problem is that she has what they are describing as "night anxiety" where she can't settle at night. Barks, whines, paces, has accidents, etc. I'm not sure of all the training things they've tried, but I know they've tried benedryl to make her sleepy (works for a few hours) and a xanax, which she has a bad reaction to. This is a total humdinger to me and I can't say I've ever heard of anxiety at night like this. Obviously wearing on the current fosters and they can't do it any more.

Edited by GSDElsa (03/07/13 07:53 AM)

Top Likes: 0 
#274495 - 03/07/13 08:01 AM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: GSDElsa]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Maybe low mix, I do see some shepherd in the ears and eyes.

Alpha..... another dominance theorist. Hope she finds a home that can help her.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#274496 - 03/07/13 08:17 AM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: Kayos]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Right? If I see a dog as alpha, I am going to react in that mindset, until the dog becomes what I think - not in a woo-woo way, but I will create a dog that sees me as a nemesis instead of partner.*

I do see a touch of GSD in there. Maybe some lab. I almost see a touch of Chow Chow in the head? If you assume that could be right, then positive methods will be HUGE in whoever works with her. No leash corrections, pops on a prong, power struggle type things. Chows have no respect for that.

Even if not, I would still go this way - dogs in rescue who don't listen often don't listen because they are in survival mode - they have had to do things on their own for so long, it is difficult to give that control to someone else when you aren't sure that they have your best interests in mind. So NILIF, tons of mini-training opportunities throughout the day where the dog is caught doing things well, and never worrying about where their food is coming from (I don't play any mind games with food with fosters - you sit, you get) will help her to start looking at the fosters in a new way.

Tiring her out before bed, but not right before, might help. Mentally/physically.

Nina had night terrors - I would wake up to her screaming barking in her sleep. It wasn't right away when I got her, but later on. She started on Elavil and that was the end of it.

Poor dog - she does want to connect, is all alone in her world at night and scared. Fosters changing mindset on a dog often creates a change in the dog, too, so that might help, to reframe her behaviors - not what these behaviors are to ME, but what they are to the dog (adaptive, learned, protective).

*Realize you are just the messenger, Justine.

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN (03/07/13 08:31 AM)

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#274497 - 03/07/13 08:41 AM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Well, I think "alpha" is the easiest way to sort of describe the "I do what I want" attitude, but this rescue as a whole isn't into that. Actually, they are postitive training to a fault I think.....or at least IMO as someone who isn't oppossed to giving corrections when they are warranted.

I really feel for the foster home...they've had her for awhile now and there hasn't been much improvement with the night issues. Not sure how long I could handle being kept up all night by a dog barking.

However, I did find out she likes to bark at anything and everything...squirrels, deer, people walking by, etc.

#274498 - 03/07/13 09:00 AM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: GSDElsa]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Hopefully it is positively done well/right so that the dogs don't feel like they are dangling out there without boundaries. smile I would tighten up the structure for her. If they have a dog door, it gets closed, everything would come from me, etc.

I take it they don't crate at night? Would they/could they try it in their room one night? Or them sleep where a crate is - because I am not sure where she is/where they are. That could be a big thing - where is she/are they at night time. As much as she's doing her thing, she really wants/needs those limits and connections.

http://alldogswelcome.com/5/post/2012/01/recognizing-preventing-and-curing-anxiety-in-dogs1.html

I cannot say enough how much Elavil helped Nina over the behavioral wall without gorking her out. Had it not, I was going to go woo-woo with the communicator next. laugh

#274504 - 03/07/13 09:58 AM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
Krissy Offline

Loc: New York
Our dogs misbehaved at night... and still do... unless they are run. She looks like a dog with A LOT of enegry (sounds like it too). Maybe taking her to a dog run or just getting her lots of exercise will help. Maybe they aren't doing that enough? Due to her shape, she reminds me of the dogs mixed with greyhound or a type of terrier that just runs a lot and needs that type of attention.

To correct the dominance issue, I usually just remind them whose boss and secure what I want from my dogs before they get anything from me. If you want to eat, you better wait patiently until I say the word!!!

I do hope they crate at night and throughout the day so that she doesn't destroy everything...

#274519 - 03/07/13 11:19 AM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: Krissy]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
I am going to tie in with jean here - those signs at night sound medical to me. It could be stress, and the neurotransmitters at night are different. I had similar problems with max when he was so sick. Jean mentioned survival mode, so that could go with stress and neurotransmitter issues. I would consider medication, st john" wort, something.

The other thing might be to rule out something like a UTI, which seem to cause those ymptoms, even when there are no signs of uti, but the urinalysis comes up positive.

Eta: anxiety is probably a better word than stress.

Edited by MaxaLisa (03/07/13 11:21 AM)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#274533 - 03/07/13 01:26 PM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: MaxaLisa]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

She does look like a dog with some good energy! She just seems to be like a Tigger!

Oh, yeah, UTI - that is huge.

#274553 - 03/07/13 05:30 PM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
PositiveDog Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
Quote:
The other thing might be to rule out something like a UTI, which seem to cause those symptoms, even when there are no signs of uti, but the urinalysis comes up positive.

Yes - this was the road Skye took when she first began a series of UTIs. Much better after they were treated, but not entirely normal. I have seen it compared to 'sundowner syndrome' in seniors in nursing homes.

That is when we started cholodin. She is now great unless she misses her dose in the early evening.

I hope this poor dog gets sorted out. frown

Edited by PositiveDog (03/07/13 05:30 PM)

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#274559 - 03/07/13 06:41 PM Re: "Night Anxiety" and Is This a GSD? [Re: PositiveDog]
GSDElsa Offline
Veteran

Hm, interesting. I"ll ask about the UTI. I"m thinking she's been tested as she's been to the vet recently, but will double check.

THe first thing I asked about was if a crate had been tried, but I'm iffy on that. Definite red flag to me that she appears to be out of the crate at night!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
May 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
05/03/18 10:41 AM
Comments for the May 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
05/03/18 10:38 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20443 Topics
325889 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts