German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#290305 - 07/27/13 12:46 PM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Codmaster]
Tarheel Offline
Addict

Loc: Cincinnati,ohio
Two of my dogs are ok, the other two are so frightened of people I can't take them. I usually walk the perimeter and my dogs follow. I like to keep moving and usually pick up three or four other dogs that are curious. They get acquainted on the walk around, play for awhile, then we go home. I have never had a problem, but my dogs always know where I am and that I am watching. A couple times other dogs came on strong to one of mine and mine just came back to me ( "Mom, he is mean, make him go away").

Top Likes: 0 
#290356 - 07/27/13 09:25 PM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Tarheel]
kaelara Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
I am blessed to live in a dog friendly town with an awesome dog park. It is over 3 acres, has great sturdy fencing with double door entrances, and a separate area for "small dogs". I've been going here for 10 years with no problems with any of my shepherds (or other breeds). Generally everyone who goes to my park are "regulars". My dogs get excited to see their "doggy friends", and I get to socialize with other crazy dog people. smile It's good for us all. We have lots of large "dominant" breed dogs there all the time, including shepherds and pits and dobermans and poodle mixes and border collies. I've only seen a few fights over the years, and again it is because new people bring their untrained/high strung/intact/in heat dogs there. We have signs posted at every entrance with guidelines that seem to keep everyone happy.

Ps- my last shepherd wasn't really interested in playing with other dogs there, but she was very happy to follow me around or greet new people. In contrast, my 8 month shepherd puppy is the opposite and plays with every dog she can find and avoids all the people!

#290574 - 07/30/13 08:45 AM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: kaelara]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Hard to say here as I have no local dog park! But we are getting one soon, planning under way by the city and ground breaking was last week.

I took Kayos to the dog park in Lexington, KY several times when we lived in Berea. She enjoyed it but I was always careful to avoid some dogs and we usually went when it was not crowded.

Havoc went to the dog park in the Tri-Cities, WA when he was a youngster. He also did well. Havoc is more interested in hanging with me tho and thankfully has never been dog aggressive.

Mayhem went to the dog park in Tulsa once. She did not do well and was very afraid of the other dogs that wanted to play-chase with her. I leashed her and we left. Have not been back.

I think when our park opens here I will take May again early in the day when there should be very few dogs.

I am not a big dog park person but they are nice for the dogs and owners that use the appropriately.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#290578 - 07/30/13 09:29 AM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Kayos]
Natalie559 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
No I do not think they are.

Maybe some as puppies and young dogs- but as adult dogs I think they are too pack focused and orientated to socialize well with strange dogs. I also see a pack mentality among them and their dog friends, often times other shepherds, where they can team up on other dogs- not nice. I say get you and your dog out for exercise and engagement in a space that is not so dog focused.

Penny spent a lot of time getting socialized and exercised at a dog park, but once she was older it didn't work out as well so I found a great open park with trees that we went to everyday after work for off leash play and exercise- it was great fun!

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha 1/05-11/12 watches over us

Swing Sets By Design
Read Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking

#290588 - 07/30/13 10:56 AM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Natalie559]
PaddyD Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Massachusetts
My GSD is ok at dog parks if the other dogs aren't aggressive. She will play with them or
ignore them. She will shy away from an overly friendly or aggressive dog. She likes
to play but no touching please.
Unfortunately, there is only one dog park nearby and it is inhabited by too
many low-lifes that don't pick up after their dogs or have dogs that are
'thugs' and out of control.
=====================

#291832 - 08/12/13 03:00 PM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: PaddyD]
Liz S. Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northern, CA
I have only taken Van a couple of times, to one local (Pena Adobe Park for those of you in N. CA). But I go there on "off times" when no one else is there. It is a good place for him to run around off lead (his recall isn't great yet, something else we will be working on with our new trainer), as otherwise he really can't except in our yard/property. But as soon as I see someone else coming, he gets hooked up and out we go (and take a walk or whatever). They scare me. Not that I am worried about Van. He tends to be submissive. But other people who think they have control and do not. Just one incident can cause a dog to have a fear that is very hard to come back from. We had that happen with a chihuahua we had a few years ago. frown Poor "Alf." His whole personality changed, and developed some fear and anxiety disorders. Not good. Even with Van. we have a dog aggressive GSD up the road who is ALWAYS off lead. We didn't know it until it was too late and she CHARGED at Van. I got between them and was able to stop her, but it freaked him out.

Bottom line, I am just not a fan of the parks, unless they are literally empty, GSD or not.

Van - nearly 3 yrs old.
Daenerys (Dani)GSD, 1 yr
Mackie - Pomeranian, 14 years
Buddy - Chihuahua, 4 years
Pirate -Dachshund, 10 years
Callie - Long Haired Tortie Cat, 6 years

#291833 - 08/12/13 03:02 PM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Kayos]
Liz S. Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northern, CA
Originally Posted By: Kayos

I am not a big dog park person but they are nice for the dogs and owners that use the appropriately.

Yes. I just wish more people were responsible!

Van - nearly 3 yrs old.
Daenerys (Dani)GSD, 1 yr
Mackie - Pomeranian, 14 years
Buddy - Chihuahua, 4 years
Pirate -Dachshund, 10 years
Callie - Long Haired Tortie Cat, 6 years

#299403 - 11/11/13 07:42 PM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Codmaster]
Deno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fern Creek Ky
Call me simple minded, but in my opinion regardless the breed,

it all depends on the owner for the most part..

#299443 - 11/11/13 11:50 PM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Codmaster]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
Quote:
GSD's are good dog park dogs
- dog parks are not good for dogs at all no matter what the breed!

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

#299457 - 11/12/13 03:27 AM Re: Are GSD's good Dog Park dogs? [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
Codmaster Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: CA
Depends on the individual GSD! If they have a normal temperament as described in the AKC or SV standard - no when they get to be an adult! A submissive one probably would do fine most of the time.

If anyone doubts it - next time in the DP and you see a GSD or two, ask the owners if they have a ScH or IPO after their name?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Sweet Kody turns into Cujo
by Shilohsmom
02/16/18 03:01 PM
Kody has the squirts (Help needed)
by Shilohsmom
02/15/18 03:19 PM
Shelter puppy temperament test results
by Molly1993
02/14/18 12:10 PM
Kody Bear
by Shilohsmom
02/13/18 07:21 PM
Update on Heidi (hypothyroid issues)
by Karin
02/13/18 12:49 PM
Renji: Somehow still alive and sassy
by Diana
02/13/18 11:11 AM
We're Not Spoiled
by Woodreb
02/12/18 09:53 PM
Unhappy puppy influence
by Shilohsmom
02/12/18 06:18 PM
Water Consumption, not drinking enough
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
02/12/18 02:30 PM
traffic
by dano
02/11/18 06:43 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
just a quick update
by MaxaLisa
02/15/18 11:09 AM
Could use some healing thoughts
by Islandgsds
10/16/17 12:53 AM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Erin, ekreinbrink, tapinho, Chantalsyr, Molly1993, Thunder, Mayhem, jill023, RobPac, HONOROFLINUS
2883 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2883 Members
100 Forums
20386 Topics
325179 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts