German Shepherd Home
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295710 - 09/28/13 10:02 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids]
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Massachusetts
Compassion, release, and kindness must have been her lessons that Hannah gifted us with. I can think of no more wondrous, lasting legacy.

She didn't need an arduous journey of surgeries, treatments, and being present in the moment in an ailing body. She needed blessed, compassionate release from suffering. At the right time, you were there, and gifted Hannah with exactly what she needed.

Hannah accepted your gift, peacesign and gave you hers, Deb. hugging

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz

Top Likes: 0 
#295720 - 09/28/13 10:48 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
Deb, here is a hugging

“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.” Albert Schweitzer
You didn't spare yourself. And you didn't just look, you went in hands on. Kudos to you. It is hard b/c when we cannot save a life, it can make us feel powerless. Feeling powerless can lead to rage.

Please do not be discouraged. You have agency, you took action and you can do it again. That you didn't have the power to heal this sweet dog, doesn't mean you are powerless. You can continue making a difference.

With long distance rescue, over the years many people have concluded that the most sustainable approach is for a group to establish a good working relationship with one or two source shelters and local rescuers, where people at both ends agree on procedures of behavioral and medical evaluation, and a dog is treated by a vet before transport. For individuals helping on their own, that's out of reach, it takes a group. Been there, done it. No regrets, but it's not something I could do in the long run. It takes a village.

It is easier on rescuers both emotionally and financially to be part of an experienced and kind rescue group team where members support each other with knowledge, hands-on experience, and compassion. Any chance there is such a group near you? It might take contacting several groups to find the best fit for you and your DH. There are dogs in need in your area, too.

There is so much injustice and suffering in the world, for humans and for animals. Encountering it can make you feel powerless but we aren't. We don't have the power to prevent all suffering. But we do have it in our hands to do what we can, and to find a way where we can make the most difference.

Thank you again for doing what you did to help this sweet dog, and for giving her love and kindness. You DID make a difference for her.

grouphug

Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#295727 - 09/28/13 11:47 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: shepnterrier]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
For now hugging

Trying to get out the door for training right now, all ort of thoughts I'd like to say. I'm just very sorry...

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#295731 - 09/28/13 02:01 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: MaxaLisa]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Sarah ... you make a lot of sense where I'm having trouble making sense of anything at all. Thank you.

I think part of my problem is that this was *real* it happened in *my* life in my house, making it more personal than seeing pictures of a dog in her condition hundreds or thousands of miles away that I cry my heart out for, make a donation, keep checking back on how the dog's doing and voice my outrage on some forum boards or blog somewhere. This was my first time up close and personal with a dog in Hannah's horrific condition. My husband tried several times to prepare me while they were driving home and when they arrived I was sad for her but it didn't "grab" me. There was work to do and I just set in loving on her and feeding her cuz she was so starved (small meals). I didn't really take it all in I don't think. I was just so happy she was home and safe.

We can't save them all, I just wanted to save this one for now. You are also right, Sarah, powerless is a good word for how I feel. When I'm powerless I'm usually angry.

Thank you for starting to help me make sense of this. I can't say we'll never do this again but if we do, I hope we have a better outcome than this. Maybe I'll be better prepared.

#295732 - 09/28/13 02:04 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Braverhund]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
Compassion, release, and kindness must have been her lessons that Hannah gifted us with. I can think of no more wondrous, lasting legacy.

She didn't need an arduous journey of surgeries, treatments, and being present in the moment in an ailing body. She needed blessed, compassionate release from suffering. At the right time, you were there, and gifted Hannah with exactly what she needed.

Hannah accepted your gift, peacesign and gave you hers, Deb. hugging

This is beautiful. I'm going to try to remember this when I try to go to sleep today. Thank you, Patti.

#295737 - 09/28/13 02:37 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Deb, I am so sorry. But the sweet gal was with caring people when she left this world. She has stolen a piece of your heart and will watch over you.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#295743 - 09/28/13 03:36 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
MSD Offline
Addict

FurKids—

Some little ones come into this world under bad circumstances. Although, for whatever reason, they have no future here, yet it is not their time to leave. So God places them with someone with an abundance of love and compassion — someone that can hold His creature in their hands until it was her time to pass into His. So always remember that you were chosen for this task for a reason — God knew that you were the one person that could fill this particular dog’s needs in this world until it was time for her to go Home. You have done your job. Mourn the briefness of her life with you, but rejoice in the time you had with God's wonderful creature, and the faith that God had in you when He entrusted her short life to you. ms

#295818 - 09/29/13 02:31 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
All the words I was thinking before don't seem to be so important right now.

Rescue is hard, and people that do it have all of my respect, for these reasons and more. I am sure that she understood that *you* did not throw her away, because she felt the love and care and compassion, of which she had not known. I would be feeling the same way as you right now...

I think there. Can be differences in believing there is a God, versus believing in Spirit and Energy, but I agree that the Rainbow Bridge is made up to make us feel better, but it's also a metaphor for the variety of belief systems out there...I've never been much into the), but I believe in Spirit and Energy...

I don't know if writing a letter to the shelter would help you or not. If it would, since it's something you can actually do, then I would think about doing it. I hope that the anger soon morphs as you go through these next stages, but I hope that you will find a way to place the anger, or use it positively. Please do not direct it towards yourself, it does not belong there. Those tumors were very very bad and eating her up frown

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#295863 - 09/30/13 02:33 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: MaxaLisa]
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Queensland. Australia
Oh Deb, my heart is breaking for you and poor sweet Hannah. I wish I was good with words but I am sending you so many hugging hugging hugging
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.

#295875 - 09/30/13 08:22 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: bianca]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thank you everyone so much for being here for me. I have no one to talk to except my 2 furkids all day long unless hubby calls. He usually does every day, sometimes multiple times but it's not quite the same as being able to talk when I need to talk. I don't call him because he may be sleeping. You people are always here for me and for that I'm so grateful.

I thought of going to another vet, just to talk to him/her. Present what we were presented with and ask "What would be your words? Your recommendation?" I haven't done that yet and now I don't think I need to. I just looked up info on mammary cancer in dogs. I read 3 different articles and they all said pretty much the same thing.

It's starting to sink in that Hannah would not have survived the surgery, she may not even have made it to the point of being able to go into surgery because of her diabetes. These articles all talked of dogs with tumors like an inch or less in size where there's at least a big enough chance of recovery to move forward. Hannah's tumors were enormous. That back one was big as a cantaloup and they went all the way up to her chest, most the size of your fist at least. They all talked about otherwise healthy dogs and their chances. Hannah had diabetes which would make her recovery more difficult. She would have had to have chemo afterwards and we all know how sick someone on chemo gets.

All of this would have taken years of her going through more probably daily hell. I'm still fighting with "Did we do the right thing?" but having read what I just did I think I can now move towards the direction of "Yes." I don't know how long it will take me to get there, but it helped to learn what I learned the last half hour or so.

I'm going to try to believe that the woman who lied to us at AC saw Hannah and didn't want her to die by gassing so she lied in the hopes someone would take her and at least give her a painless exit and some love before she left.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Nothing, I hope, too serious
by middleofnowhere
09:59 PM
Sweet Kody turns into Cujo
by Shilohsmom
02/16/18 03:01 PM
Kody has the squirts (Help needed)
by Shilohsmom
02/15/18 03:19 PM
Shelter puppy temperament test results
by Molly1993
02/14/18 12:10 PM
Kody Bear
by Shilohsmom
02/13/18 07:21 PM
Update on Heidi (hypothyroid issues)
by Karin
02/13/18 12:49 PM
Renji: Somehow still alive and sassy
by Diana
02/13/18 11:11 AM
We're Not Spoiled
by Woodreb
02/12/18 09:53 PM
Unhappy puppy influence
by Shilohsmom
02/12/18 06:18 PM
Water Consumption, not drinking enough
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
02/12/18 02:30 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
just a quick update
by MaxaLisa
02/15/18 11:09 AM
Could use some healing thoughts
by Islandgsds
10/16/17 12:53 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 42 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Erin, ekreinbrink, tapinho, Chantalsyr, Molly1993, Thunder, Mayhem, jill023, RobPac, HONOROFLINUS
2883 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2883 Members
100 Forums
20387 Topics
325210 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts