German Shepherd Home
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295109 - 09/21/13 06:16 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: MaxaLisa]
katieliz Offline
Old Hand

Loc: york township, MI
omg, omg, are you getting THIS dog??? i saw her and simply could NOT get her face out of my head, and have been wondering every day about her. my serablue is almost completely blind now...they get around amazingly well. she will need some time to get used to the "lay of the land". after that i'll bet she'll be fine. i am always concerned about two bitches living together, likely since i have two who do not tolerate each other. i actually like her name, and think that since they've generally lost everything else when we rescue them, maybe it's nice to let them keep their name. jmho tho. i am excited to be able to possibly follow-up on how this girl is doing. i just felt so drawn to her and it's SO hard for me when i can't help, but i know my limits and i'm at 'em.
voodoo lily (dsh)
cricket-the-bird (african grey parrot)RIP-2013
RIP hearthside's cinderfella (4/20/09)
RIP shep von bellefontaine (6/9/10)

Top Likes: 0 
#295113 - 09/21/13 07:30 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: katieliz]
Hatterasser Offline
Addict

Loc: Outer Banks, NC
I don't think anyone can compliment you enough for what you are taking on. What a lovely GSD and what a lovely family she's moving in with. I think you have received a lot of great advice from every one here which is good, since I can't add to it, never having had a blind dog. *laughing* But I can wish you luck and a lot of love shared.
I Aear cân ven na mar

#295116 - 09/21/13 07:45 PM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Hatterasser]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Is this still happening?

I was thinking about what I would do if I were bringing her into my home. I think I would restrict her mainly to one or two rooms until I felt she was comfortable, and slowly open things up, room by room, until she had access to the whole house. I would work on introducing her to where things are in the room.

Certainly keep the dogs barricaded apart initially until they were used to each others' smells and felt secure with boundaries. I think.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#295124 - 09/22/13 08:26 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: MaxaLisa]
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central Florida
CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING THIS GIRL!!! thanks

I'm NOT an expert, have had some old guys with some type of "night blindness" and Kelly had something wrong with his eyes where he was going blind, but I never had a completely blind dog.

Up until Mac got too old to do it, I had a "Nanny Dog" for many years ... a dog who would look after older dogs and sick dogs, help them around the yard, bring them in when they got lost in the yard at night, etc. Tex, Too & Mac did it naturally ... none of the guys I have now have this trait.

My only suggestion would be to use "Doggles" when your new girl is outside to decrease the risk of eye injuries from her running into something she can't see!!! Not sure if they're needed in the house or not, only you can evaluate that.
http://www.doggoggles.com/?gclid=CNjX7Yr-3rkCFevm7Aodv2cAGQ

I also suggest that you don't change the furniture around once she learns the layout of your house or if you do that you walk around the new layout so she can learn it. Many years ago my sister's OES was hit over the head by a burglar and blinded ... Thor was walking down the hall one day and ran into a laundry basket my sister had put down for some reason ... for the rest of his life when he came to that spot in the hall he'd circle around it as if a laundry basket was always there.

#295165 - 09/23/13 03:59 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Mary Jane]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Hubby's in Knoxville spending the night in a motel making him about 2.5hrs from Shelby. He'll be standing on their doorstep when they open at 2p and will call me soon as she's sprung.

Thanks so much everyone for your support and cheers! I go from excited to scared to death, LOL!

#295166 - 09/23/13 04:01 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: arycrest]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: arycrest
CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING THIS GIRL!!! thanks

My only suggestion would be to use "Doggles" when your new girl is outside to decrease the risk of eye injuries from her running into something she can't see!!! Not sure if they're needed in the house or not, only you can evaluate that.
http://www.doggoggles.com/?gclid=CNjX7Yr-3rkCFevm7Aodv2cAGQ

Oh these are wayyyy cool! Thanks for pointing me to them!

#295167 - 09/23/13 04:06 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: katieliz]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: katieliz
omg, omg, are you getting THIS dog??? i saw her and simply could NOT get her face out of my head, and have been wondering every day about her.

YOU SAW HER????? REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell me about what she weighs? What's your age guess for her? She looks like she needs brushing badly, I'm hoping that she's just blowing her coat and nobody brushed her ... what do you think? Anything else you can tell us would be sooooooooo appreciated! I could get so little info out of the shelter making it even more scary. Hubby's going to try to get owner contact info so we can get her vet records but I don't know if they'll release that info or not.

#295168 - 09/23/13 04:08 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Mary Jane]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
We often say how lucky a dog is to find that adoptive home-but this girl hit the mega-lottery (or whatever it's called).Mary Jane

Awwww, that's sooo sweet, thank you! smile

#295169 - 09/23/13 04:33 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

DOGGLES: Which one would you recommend? I'm so tickled with this I can't tell you how much!

Doggles Eyewear

#295170 - 09/23/13 04:34 AM Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: MaxaLisa]
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
Is this still happening?

Certainly keep the dogs barricaded apart initially until they were used to each others' smells and felt secure with boundaries. I think.

Yup, it's still happening. Hubby's only about 2.5 hrs away from her right now in Knoxville.

I'm going to get one of those basket muzzles for Riley as a "just in case" precaution.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Jenna
by Selzer
41 minutes 31 seconds ago
Vote for May 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
05/24/18 10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Major’s Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp
2896 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2896 Members
100 Forums
20447 Topics
325924 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts