German Shepherd Home
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#297678 - 10/22/13 01:54 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Zeeva]
SLEACHY Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ
I feel your pain Ruth...have a paper due on Wednesday and I just started it about an hour ago and have a midterm exam on Thursday. The good news is that we are half way through the semester already!

Money talks ~ Mine says goodbye

Top Likes: 0 
#297679 - 10/22/13 02:15 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: SLEACHY]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
Originally Posted By: SLEACHY
I feel your pain Ruth...have a paper due on Wednesday and I just started it about an hour ago and have a midterm exam on Thursday. The good news is that we are half way through the semester already!

Well, not quite the same pain: I have to write (as in create) the midterms (and other assignments) and then grade them. And then start all over again for the next round. So multiply you by 75 (the total number of students I have this semester) and then you would feel my pain. wink

Did I mention my most recent painful animal injury? Gio took off after a bird and I stepped on his tie-out with my foot (to stop him) and ended up with a nasty rope burn. This was 4 months ago and there's still a red mark!

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#297691 - 10/22/13 06:22 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: BowWowMeow]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
Injuries I remember getting from other dogs while protecting mine:

Full bite on the thigh from a chow. From behind a corner Cora the dog aggressive chow emerged off leash and immediately kick started for Bubi who happened to be right next to me. In a flash I scooped up Bubi and got the full bite intended for her. Full jaw deep bruises deep down in the tissue, took a long time to heal. Where the canines had sunk in wasn't nearly as bad, that healed quickly.

Partially torn knee ligament from a Rottweiler charging at Feli. Idiot had a rottie on a 6' leash. Idiot let rottie charge at Feli with full leash on an outstretched arm. Walkway with fences on both sides, so smart Feli couldn't move out of his reach. Soccer player me kicked out leg in rottie's way. I took a major blow but softened it for geriatric and fragile Feli who was pushed into the fence which luckily had some give. Bullying, not biting. It's amazing how much torque the 100 lb or so beast got out of a standing position. Idiot got away before I was able to get up. Reported the incident but he was never sen there again. Physical therapy, weeks of gimping. Oh, those knees... Would have gotten me about 15k in court my lawyer friend said.

And oh the knee hits...
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#297711 - 10/22/13 10:14 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Zeeva]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Originally Posted By: Zeeva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-fF3j4UwrM

If you forward to 1:53 you'll see me fall!

Oops! At least you got back up again!

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#297735 - 10/22/13 02:07 PM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Kayos]
Mary Jane Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Does poison ivy count?

David walked Mars early one morning and when they returned, Mars woke me by licking my whole face. Little did I know that he waded in poison ivy and then cleaned his coat. My face became so swollen I was embarrassed to be in public, but I had to see a doctor for a cortisone shot.

MJ

#297744 - 10/22/13 05:21 PM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Mary Jane]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
A scar on my left knee from tripping over puppy Dago when we were running on a dirt road. Had so much dirt deep in the wound...

My hands and arms were all colors of the rainbow when my beloved Robin was a puppy. We got beyond it and no scars left.

Tanja jumped over the back seat in my rather bare bones Datsun station wagon. A pin that stuck out caught her and held her left hind leg between bone and tendon, and she was caught in mid jump. She panicked and snapped frantically trying to get at what gripped her leg. I unhooked her poor leg and she accidentally got the tip of my elbow. Ouchie spot, but nothing lasting. She didn't even know she had gotten me. And no injury to her leg, whew.

Years of wear and tear on my shoulders from handling young, powerful, untrained dogs, and from climbing trees. Right shoulder gave four years ago, torn ligament, surgery. This summer a bunny popped out of the bushes a few feet in front of Elly with the crazy prey drive. That pull was the finishing touch to my left shoulder's rotator cuff, partially torn. Orthopedic surgeon hopes to fix it without surgery, woohoo! And Elly has since controlled herself with those pop out bunnies, loose leash at all times, woohoo!

And of course rope burn, like everyone else. Decorative scar above the heel from a rope snaking around my feet while Elly learned recalls under distraction.

Two cat bites.
One from a foster cat, an overprotective mom aka attack demon. We could only go into the room armed with thick knee high wellies, plus sporting an apron with a front pocket as holster for a spray bottle. Both were tested multiple times. She became extremely sweet with people once her kittens were weaned.
And one from Little Orca who got out at 6 am before my coffee, chased by puppy Elly, fled on top of my 6' high fence. She is my wild child, nobody would be able to catch her once she was out and about. I had to be fast reaching up to get her by the scruff, scruffed a bit too far down and she nailed my hand in her panic. I carried her inside by the scruff, no letting go. My cat, my mistake, my bite. She had no idea she had nailed me, and was very attached to me during the next few days, I guess b/c she felt I had rescued her.

All nothing compared to what Patti, Kathy, and others had. Yikes!
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#297907 - 10/25/13 11:14 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Dante:
At a local park working on down in motion and recalls. He FLEW to me on the recall and as he started to sit we both discovered the ground was very slick and he slid right into me throwing me on my butt. It was a long walk home with a very muddy/wet backside!!

I had the tug tucked under my left arm as we worked on healing with attention and he got a little excited, jumped to grab it and grabbed my breast instead. OUCH!

Kaos:
I was standing in the kitchen and she ran into the back of my legs. I had that wonderous slow motion effect as I ran through my brain how I was going to get to a phone with at least one broken wrist and possibly two and/or a back injury. Luckily no broken bones and I was just a little sore for awhile.

My worst injuries happened with horses
Bucked off and landed on my head and arm, was unconscious for 70ish hours and right arm was broken. I have amnesia of it, only thing I remember is it was a Sunday.
Got the cast off after 9 weeks and the next day was jumping on a friend's horse and went over the other side and landed on the same arm. Sprained.

Horse stomped on my right foot (I was wearing boots) and fractured my foot.

Jumping my horse over some bales of hay and he jumped REALLY big and I wasn't prepared and off I went. Luckily I had a helmet on (This was years ago before people wore them regularly like they do now) head hit a rock and cracked my helmet but not my head, I just had my bell rung.

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/

#297911 - 10/25/13 11:20 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E]
Codmaster Offline
Veteran

Loc: CA
Last Night - out walking with a group!

Dog walks into me and me not paying attention, so I trip and pitch forward = scrape on right elbow and a bruise on left rib cage (waiting for x-ray!)

Dog comes over to me on sidewalk and licks face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#297912 - 10/25/13 11:43 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Codmaster]
Selzer Offline
Veteran

Loc: NE Ohio
LOL, we humans are just so clumsy. We play really screwy too. My pups think that if I am on the floor/ground, it has to be for something really fun.
Joy, Dolly, Bear, Karma & Cujo II
Hepzibah

#297938 - 10/25/13 09:03 PM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Selzer]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They are just encouraging us to use all four appendages on the ground! We'd possibly be a little less clumbsy if we hadn't started trying this upright nonsense...

Top Likes: 1 
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
2 registered (Shilohsmom, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts