German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#300420 - 11/24/13 09:54 AM Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Kris L. Christin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: The Rabies Challenge Fund
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest with You? ABC News 11/22/13 http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/veterinarian-honest-20987714 (Please copy & paste link into your browser if it doesn't work by clicking on it.)

"Pushing the Shots" at 4:31. Remember as you watch that the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Guidelines referenced in this news article show distemper, parvo & hepatitis vaccines have a proven MINIMUM duration of immunity of 7 years by challenge and up to 15 years serologically.

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Guidelines http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm state on Page 18 that: “We now know that booster injections are of no value in dogs already immune, and immunity from distemper infection and vaccination lasts for a minimum of 7 years based on challenge studies and up to 15 years (a lifetime) based on antibody titer.” They further state that hepatitis and parvovirus vaccines have been proven to protect for a minimum of 7 years by challenge and up to 9 and 10 years based on antibody count.

Canine parvo type 2, distemper, adeno type 1 and parainfluenza: "These results suggest that the duration of serological response induced by modified-live vaccines against CPV-2, CDV, CAV-1 and CPiV...vaccines, is beyond 18 months and may extend up to 9 years. Accordingly, these vaccines may be considered for use in extended revaccination interval protocols as recommended by current canine vaccine guidelines." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23186088
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

Top Likes: 0 
#300454 - 11/24/13 03:06 PM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Kris L. Christin]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Very appropriate title! Thanks smile

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#300461 - 11/24/13 04:41 PM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: MaxaLisa]
Kris L. Christin Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
Very appropriate title! Thanks smile
Indeed! You're welcome.

#300503 - 11/25/13 08:11 AM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Kris L. Christin]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Love this! I do not use my local vet for vaccines as I refuse to pump them up very year. I go to Tulsa for titers and 3 year rabies vacs.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#300517 - 11/25/13 10:12 AM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Kris L. Christin]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Kris L. Christin
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest with You? ABC News 11/22/13 http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/veterinarian-honest-20987714 (Please copy & paste link into your browser if it doesn't work by clicking on it.)

In decades of pets and a new vet in each place I lived at, I've had only ONE vet clinic that did an unnecessary procedure. I left in disgust. There are a few bad apples in every lot. But I am confident that ALL others did only what was necessary and vaccinated as they thought was right at the time. My current vet respects my conservative stance on vax although she prefers to vax every three years. I have both my vets' cell phone numbers and can call them on a Sunday. I called only once when a foster dog had a seizure. She said watch him, bring him in only if he seizes again and especially if prolonged, otherwise it can wait.

One thing to keep in mind is the horrendous student debt that vet students accumulate, as much as medical students do. However, DMVs make much less than MDs. It does not justify doing unnecessary procedures of course, but it is something to keep in mind when considering vet bills. These people are not getting rich. And many donate their own work to foster and shelter pets. I only use vets who do, I guess that precludes the few bad apples from the start.

I am concerned though about the trend towards shareholder owned chains like VCA that do not only provide an income to its staff but also have to produce a profit for their shareholders. Vets there have to produce a certain amount of profit if they want to keep their job. These chains have standardized procedures that leave little room for a vet to not recommend vaccinating every three years.

A vet's comment on the ABC clip:
http://cestlavielsu.wordpress.com/2013/11/24/a-reaction-to-confessions-of-a-petvet/

Thanks for posting, interesting clip.
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#300518 - 11/25/13 10:36 AM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Kris L. Christin]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Kris L. Christin

"Pushing the Shots" at 4:31. Remember as you watch that the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Guidelines referenced in this news article show distemper, parvo & hepatitis vaccines have a proven MINIMUM duration of immunity of 7 years by challenge and up to 15 years serologically.

How can we contribute to change this? How can we get to use the less costly 'Vacci Check' in house procedure instead of having titers done in a lab? PLease, any advice appreciated!

I was very excited about the 'Vacci Check' kit that allows vets to run a titer in house, at less cost than sending it in to a lab. It would be the solution for a multi pet household that has to keep costs in check. But I couldn't find a vet who uses them. I even called the manufacturer and asked them whether they can give me a list of vets who use them in my area, but all they suggested was sending a blood sample to them to run a titer at their lab instead of using the Vacci Check. Well, that's not what I wanted, and if so, it would make more sense to use a local lab instead of sending the sample across the country.

My vet said she has to buy a kit of twelve and use them within a year, and there isn't enough demand for it. I would think that the demand could be created though among a dozen clients. The large and famous Angell Memorial told me that they don't use Vacci Check. I fwd'ed their response to Vacci Check and I hope they contacted Angell about it.

Chip's vax were five years old, and I wanted to do a titer instead of just boosting. While I was still searching for Vacci Check, I had to board him at short notice, and the boarding place is in an area that had several parvo cases. So I did have him boosted. I wasn't happy about it.

Vacci Check, please!
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#300527 - 11/25/13 01:13 PM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: shepnterrier]
Kris L. Christin Offline
Enthusiast

Maybe your vet can get the Titerchek kit (see below).

Here's the link for the 15 minute in-house titer tests for distemper and parvo: TiterChek Synbiotics
http://www.synbiotics.com/Products/CompanionAnimals/Canine/TiterCHEK-CDV-CPV-Distemper.html

From an article entitled, Ask Your Vet for TiterChek by Rhonad L. Rundle, 07/31/02 The Wall Street Journal
"Michael Dutton, a veterinarian and owner of Weare Animal Hospital in Weare, N.H., says the new TiterChek can help him and his clients determine which pets need a booster. ...... Dr. Dutton says he is charging clients $30 for the new in-office TiterChek test. That's less than half his $64 charge for the lab tests, which take 10 days and require mailing specimens overnight in ice packs. "

VACCICHECK http://biogal.co.il/vaccicheck-2/ : Here's the link to Dr. Schultz's Summary Results on his testing of VacciCheck for the USDA http://biogal.co.il/experts/

#300529 - 11/25/13 01:37 PM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Kris L. Christin]
Michelle Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Oh
The vet I use to take Kitana did the vaccinations regularly and also gave the rabies vaccine if I remember correctly in the side behind the front leg. If I am not mistakn they are not suppose to give it there anymore, it is suppose to be in the rear hip?? Coincidently Kit got a lump in that area, so did my moms black lab, I am going to be looking for a new vet.

Cirus The German Shepherd
The cat pack (Mischief,Rascal and Dude)
Rip Sammi (My Baby) and Kitana (My Big Girl)

#300531 - 11/25/13 01:53 PM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Michelle]
Kris L. Christin Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Michelle
Coincidently Kit got a lump in that area, so did my moms black lab, I am going to be looking for a new vet.
Keep a close eye on those lumps. My yellow lab, Meadow, developed a lump at the site of a rabies booster which wound up being mast cell cancer 3 months later.

#300533 - 11/25/13 02:24 PM Re: Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News [Re: Kris L. Christin]
Michelle Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Oh

Unfortunately that is not possible, I lost Kit last Oct to Cancer, and my mom lost her black lab couple months before. frown I will definitely make sure that it does not happen again, never will I just listen to a Vet and let them do whatever because they said it is what is best, I will do my research and be informed!

Cirus The German Shepherd
The cat pack (Mischief,Rascal and Dude)
Rip Sammi (My Baby) and Kitana (My Big Girl)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Can’t Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/21/13 10:27 AM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Major’s Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl
2899 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2899 Members
100 Forums
20458 Topics
326096 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts