German Shepherd Home
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#310775 - 03/13/14 04:28 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Diana]
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Massachusetts
Even if it wasn't "balanced," he's still absorbing more bioavailable nutrients on his raw diet than he'd have available to him on any "premium" grain-free. All foods we feed are very high in omega 6, as everything's agri-farmed, corn-fed meat. I'm sure Renji is getting a balancing omega-3 such as fish oil, yes? On that note, is he getting any flax oil? It's an itch-producer for many dogs, Goldens famously so. Another itch culprit can be joint supplements made for humans, as all the coatings to make them palatable for us, and the fillers used to make a nice-to-swallow pill-shape, can cause serious itchies in dogs. This was the case with my last senior. Only doggy joint supplements for my dogs from now on, even though others may have gotten away with giving human-intended joint supplements to their dogs. Just a consideration.

I really hope that the Prozac helps, and that you and your vet can isolate exactly what your Renji needs.

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz

Top Likes: 0 
#310781 - 03/13/14 07:03 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Braverhund]
Diana Offline
Addict

Thanks Patti, no flax. He gets gunky ears on flax. Found that out when we tried Nupro. I'm going to have to take a close look at his diet to see if anything has changed or perhaps find an ingredient in his supplements that could be a problem. All his supplements are from Springtime. I picked up the bottles and am going through the ingredients now.

Training @ The Canine Center- St Cloud, FL

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz

#310784 - 03/13/14 08:05 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Diana]
PositiveDog Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
Springtime's Omega 3-6-9 has flax in it. My sister's Aussie can't take those. Just a thought.

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#310785 - 03/13/14 08:10 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: PositiveDog]
Diana Offline
Addict

He takes Fresh Factors, Longevity, Bug Off, and Calmplex. None have flax or anything grainy or suspect. I might take him off Calmplex in light of the Prozac. I didn't know about the 3-6-9 having flax; now I know to stay away from that!

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz

#310786 - 03/13/14 08:19 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Diana]
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Massachusetts
Grimmi really got in trouble with the Bug Off Garlic. I tried it, because I wished to avoid the chemicals in the topicals. He got very itchy on it, and he had a sort of pale powdery residue in his coat. I do know a few people who have their dogs on it, and they are fine. Grimmi really didn't feel or do well on it, though. The ingredients were mainly powdered garlic, so, I can understand that in nature, dogs are not supposed to/would not ingest garlic.

I dislike using the topicals. Advantix caused skin ulcers, but Grimmi tolerates Frontline basically okay. Gosh, it's like a balancing act with some of our sensitive dogs (and the odd stuff we're trying to put into/onto them)!

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz

#310807 - 03/14/14 11:09 AM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Braverhund]
aubie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
Hey Diana, I know I'm late to the party in posting, but I know you've been doing a lot of cleaning in your house, and I know you've thought of this and you may have already said it, but could there be anything you've used that could cause a reaction? Are you using the water from the water heater that you flushed with peroxide? Just trying to rethink this. Feel free to read this and say: Well of course I've thought of that stupid aubie woman! Duh! rofl
Duncan Dog RIP 2/99-10/15
Danger Kitties: Mia & Winston RIP Alley Cat 10/12, Simon 6/13
Andon two-legger
Anna's Dog Blog: www.annathegsd.blogspot.com

#310809 - 03/14/14 11:54 AM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: aubie]
Diana Offline
Addict

Patti, now there's a thought. I did notice Renji also has this fine powder by his skin. I'll pull him off of the bug-off and am weaning him off the calmplex. He'll stay on the Fresh Factors and Longevity as he was on those before the former two.

Tiffany, you've been following on FB so you are catching a lot more. smile BTW, if anyone wants to follow Renji and me on FB, PM me! We are NOT using the well water for drinking. Renji is getting bottled water. Yes, I'm almost certain this was caused by chemicals, either what we used to clean or the leftovers from the smokers before us. After all, none of this began until we moved in, except for his questionable nerve issues. I'm still pulling out gross stuff every time I vacuum. In fact, I've been researching a better vacuum to buy.

#310815 - 03/14/14 01:23 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Diana]
Diana Offline
Addict

So I talk to the neurologist again. And then I talk to one of their internal medicine vets. The internal medicine vet says it sounds like a neurological problem. The neuro insists the blood work was fine and doesn't indicate any problem.

And yet, darn dog acts like he ran a marathon after three or four throws of the ball.

Edited by Diana (03/14/14 01:28 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#310819 - 03/14/14 02:29 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: Diana]
MSD Offline
Addict

Hi, maybe this could be of some help, I have two very sensitive dogs, I understand about wanting a clean home and the chemicals. I’ve resorted to using Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps, and it is AWESOME and CLEANS EVERYTHING from your windows, kitchen cabinets, shower, floors, walls, moldings, gets ink out of clothing and you can even bathe yourself and your pup with it. This is my go to cleaner and I can’t say enough good things about it. I can’t think of anything I wouldn’t use it for. A little goes such a long way. The ingredients are: Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Organic Orange Oil, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic fairDeal Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Lemon Oil, Organic Lime Oil, Citric Acid, Tocopherol. I also use a lot of baking soda and white vinegar and a 50% water/50%alcohol in a spray bottle for quick spills in the kitchen.

Originally Posted By: Diana
Yes, I'm almost certain this was caused by chemicals, either what we used to clean or the leftovers from the smokers before us. After all, none of this began until we moved in, except for his questionable nerve issues.

#310827 - 03/14/14 04:57 PM Re: Renji health issues - Bloodwork! [Re: MSD]
aubie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
Have you rented a carpet cleaner and sucked all the nastiness out of the floors? You could use a green cleaner like Simple Green or even a mixture of vinegar/water or even the Bronners?

Although, seeing the black nastiness that comes from your floor may make you nauseous! sick
Duncan Dog RIP 2/99-10/15
Danger Kitties: Mia & Winston RIP Alley Cat 10/12, Simon 6/13
Andon two-legger
Anna's Dog Blog: www.annathegsd.blogspot.com

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Woodreb), 32 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts