Rate This Topic
#263260 - 12/05/12 07:54 PM Affordable pet meds: How to get generic meds
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
From BARK magazine:

http://thebark.com/content/making-pet-meds-more-affordable?page=3

Competition — and Choices
According to Bruce Rosenbloom, chief financial officer of PetMed Express Inc., parent company of the online retailer 1800-PetMeds, pet owners today spend about $3.8 billion annually on prescription drugs for their companion animals, and vets make about 67 percent of those sales. (Packaged Facts’ estimate of vets’ share of drug sales is roughly the same.) PetMed Express’s research shows that big retailers like Target, Walmart and Walgreens sell about 22 percent of pet medications through their retail and online stores, while web and mailorder retailers like 1800-PetMeds and Amazon account for the remaining 11 percent.

All of these outlets offer incentives to pet owners. Kroger, for example, sells a long list of generic pet drugs, including some of the most-prescribed for dogs — pain-relievers like tramadol and meloxicam and antibiotics like amoxicillin and cephalexin — at $4 per 30-day supply. Target’s PetRx program, available in more than 1,200 of its instore pharmacies, can fill veterinary prescriptions for animal-specific medications, and all Target pharmacies will fill pet scripts for human drugs (they offer many $4 generics, as well). At Walgreens, you can add your dog to your $35-a-year family membership in the discount pharmacy program. With that, you get reduced prices on pet prescriptions and access to over 400 generic medications priced at $12 for a 90-day supply. Stop ‘n Shop and Winn-Dixie stores fill human-equivalent scripts, and have arrangements with online pet pharmacies to get your dog’s meds to you in one to two days.

For those who’d rather shop online, there are currently 18 web-based pet pharmacies accredited with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy through its Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (Vet-VIPPS) program, each of which has its own offers and incentives. (There are also countless websites that aren’t accredited — or properly licensed — which the Food and Drug Administration and other groups strongly suggest you avoid.)

All this competition is good news for consumers, says ASPCA’s Binovi, because it guarantees that pet owners will be able to fill prescriptions as cheaply as possible. “There are big benefits here for both pets and their guardians,” he says. “It’s not that the veterinarians were a problem, just that this bill would harmonize all the different state laws to guarantee that everyone has better access to these medications.”

Keeping the cost of pet ownership down is especially important in this economy, he adds. “We know that economics weighs into the decision to adopt an animal and even, in some cases, to surrender an animal to a shelter.” There are no statistics on the number of owners citing the high cost of prescription drugs — or any other expense associated with keeping a pet — as the reason for surrender, but it’s not a great leap to suggest that someone who’s facing serious financial problems might see the family dog as an expense that could be eliminated. And even for an owner who’s not in dire straights, every little bit helps. “It’s always good to have more choices and better access, no matter what you’re buying,” he says.

You can verify an online vendor’s Vet-VIPPS standing on the NABP website: nabp.net.
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

Top Likes: 0 
#263262 - 12/05/12 08:26 PM Re: Affordable pet meds: How to get generic meds [Re: shepnterrier]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

Quote:
But this just means that vets are behind the times when it comes to setting their prices, says Bennett. She notes that many veterinarians deliberately undercharge for some services to keep clients happy; like restaurateurs who exponentially mark up the wine they sell to make up for value-priced entrees, these vets count on the sale of medications to make the balance sheet work. “If you’ve been relying on drug sales all this time, this is a wake-up call,” she says.

This is what I think happens.

My vet has told me the prices I can get for some things is way less than what they can get in the office, because the companies like KV or Pet Meds can order is such huge bulk amounts - that they could never go through in years there.

So as people start ordering from those places, for good reasons, and the vets can't go lower in their prices, for good reasons, they will balance it out somehow.

What I've noticed is that wellness exams and regular things are inching up in cost. But "luxury" things like fees for biopsies and things like that go up in big jumps - because people who pay for biopsies are people who will pay for biopsies, no matter the cost (and even if they can't afford it - saw one of my former students there with her family and their dog and I know they are sacrificing to care for that pet).

I also worry that with pet insurance, we will go the way of costs for human healthcare, which is largely controlled by insurers.

I don't know the answers though. laugh

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#263556 - 12/08/12 10:37 AM Re: Affordable pet meds: How to get generic meds [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thank you for showing the bigger picture, Jean.

Veterinary medicine is certainly not a path to wealth. Our vets have to meet their overhead costs and should be able to make a middle class income. I looked up the statistics on vets' income: http://www.healthcaresalaryonline.com/veterinarian-salary.html

Yes, my vet's basic exam fee has gone up quite a bit in the last few years, more than inflation. I love that her clinic still has the interiors of when she started in the 80s. All is well kept, clean, functional, just no buying into 'updating' things optically to keep up with changing tastes. Her medical equipment is super up to date though!

With the number of animals I have and my limited budget, I have no choice but to ask her for a written rx and get the meds online. I am not happy about it. My vet understands, she is very rescue friendly, and I hope others with fewer animals and a higher income will continue getting their meds directly from her.

I worry about small, local, individual practices disappearing and companies like VCA taking over ever more. Their goal is to produce money for their stockholders, and they prefer hiring young vets whom they can pay a lower salary, and making them adhere strictly to their approved standard procedures. I don't see how their care is any better than what my experienced vet in her own, independent, local practice offers.

I don't know the answers either laugh

Edited by shepnterrier (12/08/12 10:44 AM)
Edit Reason: added sentence

#263617 - 12/09/12 03:15 AM Re: Affordable pet meds: How to get generic meds [Re: shepnterrier]
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Queensland. Australia
Miss Molly's Prozac was between $60 and $80 (can't find the receipt) for 28 days. I picked her pills up yesterday from the chemist and paid $12.95. So much more affordable.

Even my vets were horrified at the cost they charged me. Apparently they have never had to get any in before laugh

I pay $55 for a standard consultation which is reasonable. It's just that anything above and beyond that is so cost prohibitive here.
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.

#315598 - 05/17/14 07:01 PM Re: Affordable pet meds: How to get generic meds [Re: shepnterrier]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: shepnterrier
From BARK magazine:

http://thebark.com/content/making-pet-meds-more-affordable?page=3

...For those who’d rather shop online, there are currently 18 web-based pet pharmacies accredited with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy through its Veterinary-Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (Vet-VIPPS) program, each of which has its own offers and incentives. (There are also countless websites that aren’t accredited — or properly licensed — which the Food and Drug Administration and other groups strongly suggest you avoid.)

...You can verify an online vendor’s Vet-VIPPS standing on the NABP website: nabp.net.

List of accredited online pet pharmacies:
http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps/find-a-vet-vipps-online-pharmacy

Criteria the online pharmacies must fulfill:
http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vet-vipps/vet-vipps-criteria

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
BOING
by DancingCavy
09:59 AM
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
2 registered (Woodreb, DancingCavy), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20334 Topics
324509 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts