German Shepherd Home
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#298079 - 10/27/13 07:15 PM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: middleofnowhere]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I have a new one thanks to Kaos

Rule is no leaving crate until I give the word and of course she pushes this often.

A little back ground on Kaos - when she's really excited or frustrated she wants something in her mouth.

So she started out of her crate before I released her, I pushed my hand toward her to block her way and at the same time she opened her mouth looking for something to put in it.
Well what happened is I jammed my thumb into her canine tooth which slid between the nail and nail bed. I'm hoping I don't have a permanent separation there (happened to a friend of mine after something was jammed under her fingernail) though I don't think I'm going to lose the nail since it's not all the way down.

It has at least today stopped throbbing
smile

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/

Top Likes: 0 
#298096 - 10/28/13 12:15 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh my. Ouch All I can say beyond that is I want to forward this thread to Dr. in Arkansas who was rather askance at my rather piddly list of animal related wrecks. All you all make me look unscathed.

#298098 - 10/28/13 12:25 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: middleofnowhere]
Selzer Offline
Veteran

Loc: NE Ohio
Milla went into my bad knee today. Why do they target my bad knee? And her head is like a sledge hammer! Do they really have to have concrete skulls and then target this whimpy knee all the time?

My dogs will never hurt me with any form of human-aggression, but they may just kill me.

Edited by Selzer (10/28/13 12:26 AM)
Joy, Dolly, Bear, Karma & Cujo II
Hepzibah

#298133 - 10/28/13 10:21 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Barb E
I have a new one thanks to Kaos

Rule is no leaving crate until I give the word and of course she pushes this often.

A little back ground on Kaos - when she's really excited or frustrated she wants something in her mouth.

So she started out of her crate before I released her, I pushed my hand toward her to block her way and at the same time she opened her mouth looking for something to put in it.
Well what happened is I jammed my thumb into her canine tooth which slid between the nail and nail bed. I'm hoping I don't have a permanent separation there (happened to a friend of mine after something was jammed under her fingernail) though I don't think I'm going to lose the nail since it's not all the way down.

It has at least today stopped throbbing
smile

Oh my, Barb. I hope it doesn't get infected! Anything underneath the nail is high risk. If there is any pain left, please see a doc right away and get abx.

I had an infected nail bed as a teenager. The entire nail had to be removed under anesthesia. Then the infected nail bed had to be cleaned once a day. It was torture!!!!
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

#298210 - 10/29/13 07:41 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Sarah for the warning, I'll keep an eye on it!

It is much better now!

#298211 - 10/29/13 07:44 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: shepnterrier
Then the infected nail bed had to be cleaned once a day. It was torture!!!!

This deserved its own reply

shocked x 1,000,000!!

I had my entire right toenail removed and it was a....well way more painful than I had anticipated having had the sides of my toenails removed multiple times. I can't imagine if it had to be cleaned every day.... sick there isn't an appropriate pain emoticon dude but it does almost make me sick to my stomach to imagine

#298310 - 10/30/13 08:30 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Man I thought I had too many bumps and scrapes thank to the dogs. You guys got me beat by a mile!!!

Hope the nail is okay Barb.

Hope Codmaster does not have broken ribs.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#298374 - 10/31/13 12:06 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Kayos]
Selzer Offline
Veteran

Loc: NE Ohio
Somedays you should really just stay in bed.

Like today.

Ok, they are not ALL dog-related.

I had procrastinated for a while this morning, and finally when I went out, Tori who has been on Novox since Monday, isn't better and is now pooping hard poop with blood in it. Ick. So I decided (nice day) to put her outside in a kennel where she can rest on the wood shelter floor, instead of on the concrete in my room where I had her. So I moved them around so she could be back in her area, and went in to call the vet and ask how to proceed with the meds, and came back out and slipped and fell on the concrete. Both knees, one bloody, the other scraped, the bloody one has a lump on my leg, my left shoulder is hurting, and my right elbow scraped. The scraped knee is the bad knee and that is smarting worse than the bloody knee. Nice.

So after many explicatives, and managing to get up on my my knees and then onto my feet, I went about finishing the work. I let Jenna and Karma in the field while I did there kennel. Darn! I forgot to give them their food. Ah well, I put them back in, and I let Joy out in the field, and I noticed some hair tufting on her butt, so I called her over and I am pulling it out, and she swung her head around up under my arm and then went to look at my face. Only my chin was there looking at her butt, and her head exploded my lower jaw, crashing its teeth into my upper teeth, and giving my quite the head ache.

Lovely. For some reason my back is hurting too.

And so I drove to my sister's sat for an hour on 480 -- usually ten minutes, got the kids, and then one of the aunties wanted me to come to the grocery store with them for the other auntie's b-day stuff. So we went there. And then she wanted me to help pick up all kinds of stuff for some doing, and she managed to push a cart filled with 4 cases of water into my left heel.

Aaaaargh!!! I know she thinks I am the biggest baby, but my body feels like I fell out of an airplane right now. Ok, maybe more like when I totaled the car.

And it is going to be even more sore tomorrow.

I should have stayed in bed.
Joy, Dolly, Bear, Karma & Cujo II
Hepzibah

#298407 - 10/31/13 11:52 AM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Kayos]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Kayos

Hope the nail is okay Barb.

Thanks!

Nail is good, only hurts now if you press it quite hard, which of course I do every once in awhile to see how much it hurts rofl though it does appear at this point there may be a small tooth shaped area of separation, it will be interesting to see how (if) that grows out over time

#298546 - 11/01/13 12:21 PM Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E]
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MA
So glad your nail is ok, Barb! Phew.

My nail injury decades ago was at least not related to dogs, at least as far as I can remember. Back then and as kids/teenies we were likely more capable of bearing pain back then b/c we had to! Today, if a dentist would drill without numbing, I'd probably bite! But back then, that's what it was. Some things change for the better!

Poor Selzer, you sure took the hits yesterday!
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts