German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#341944 - 09/20/16 07:28 AM Ronin Won't Eat New Food
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NB, Canada
We have had such hard time with Ronin and his food since we brought him home. He was on Raw for a long time, but then that got way too expensive, so we switched him to another raw food but that made him sick. We have since gone to the vet and the vet has put him in Royal Canin Hypersensitivy food that is working so far very well. Other than the fact that Ronin hates to eat the food. He ate it fine for the first 3 days we had him on it with no problems, then in the past 3 days he won't eat it. I checked his teeth, no problems, he's not lethargic or vomiting and no diarrhea.

I put hot water on the food to soften it a bit and he will eat some, but the only way to get him to eat it is if I put it in his crate when I leave in the morning for work and he eats it through out the day and at night just picks away at it. Any suggestions?

Top Likes: 0 
#341945 - 09/20/16 11:12 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ok you will hate me for this:

"put it in his crate when I leave in the morning for work and he eats it through out the day "

And at a seminar one of the trainers said: I know of no dog that has voluntarily starved himself to death.

For a bit of empathy:

My eldest wants an appetizer (generally her pills one of which gets smooshed and doctored with enhancement dujour). Sometimes she will eat in the morning. More likely she will eat in the evening. She likes company when she eats. She likes having her food messed with. If she eats in the evening she will eat both breakfast and dinner servings then - and often insist on more.

My youngest will eat all of it at any time it is offered. I don't know that she would ever refuse anything edible. She will eat so much that her digestive track rebels and she produces loose stools.

When I have a pair, I will have one picky eater and one foracious eater but when I have a lone picky eater, their attention to food has improved with the addition of some competition. It has also worked to offer the food, then put it away until the next meal if it isn't eaten.

Bottom line: If I remember right, this is your first dog. You are over thinking this.

Top Likes: 1 
#341946 - 09/20/16 12:53 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: middleofnowhere]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere

Bottom line: If I remember right, this is your first dog. You are over thinking this.
wink

#341947 - 09/20/16 01:45 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Haha thanks. You're probably right. smile I just worried because he has chewed up so many of his toys I was scared it could be because of a blockage from pieces I might have missed getting out of his mouth.

#341948 - 09/20/16 03:30 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

If it makes you feel any better, Basia has eaten my underwear several times. I only ever knew when I saw it come out the other end. So if he was chewing apart a toy and the pieces were small enough for you to miss, chances are it'll just pass through. Usually if there's a blockage there will be vomiting and no pooping.

Also, he went from eating the most delicious raw food to what probably tastes like cardboard. I just looked up the ingredient list of Royal Canin, granted this is the "hydrolyzed protein" diet (I couldn't find the hypersensitivity one) but if it's anything similar, no wonder he doesn't want to eat it.

There isn't even an animal protein source!

Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Chicken Fat, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Vegetable Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Oil, Fructooligosaccharides, Potassium Chloride, L-Tyrosine, Salt, Taurine, Vitamins [Dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Inositol, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Marigold Extract (Tagetes Erecta L.), Trace Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Rosemary Extract, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid.

#341950 - 09/20/16 08:18 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

past dog(s) - underwear sections (obviously known before thoroughly processed) socks and who knows what else.

BTY2 - sponge (what's that funny textured excrement that's kinda orange pink?)and about 5 feet of 1/2 inch leather lead (left the handle and the braided section near the snap so I now have another collar tab...) and who knows what all else. Lead was probably chewed into small pieces because it never "showed up."

Put the food down. Take it up. Put it down again. Take it up again. He will eventually eat it. Do not fuss. Just do it.

#341954 - 09/21/16 10:48 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Our vet doesn't use any other kinds apparently. I called to check. I'm not a fan of Royal Canin but it's the only thing he can eat right now (when he actually eats) that doesn't give him diarrhea or make him sick. I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place.

The other reason he's on this food is that he may have EPI and his body isn't sending out enough enzymes to break down protein which is causing the diarrhea so we're trying this stuff out. The vet explained that the food broken down from the protein and vegetable and fruit material into something else that is easier to handle and his body can process it that way. I don't really understand it all. frown

#341955 - 09/21/16 11:27 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Emily,
You are doing great by Ronin. May his stools solidify, his appetite pick up, his taste for his kibble grow and for other items decline.

Top Likes: 1 
#341960 - 09/21/16 12:09 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: middleofnowhere]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Basia has EPI. If Ronin actually has this, you need to put him on digestive enzymes (I get my enzymes shipped to me from Canada, actually). Did you do the blood test? It checks for TLI (Trypsin Like Immunoreactivigy).

Check this out: http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/tli

If there are any aspects that you don't understand about the disease, I can try to help explain.

ETA: if you haven't done the blood test- but you plan to: make sure to also test for Folate and Cobalamin (vit. B12)

Edited by BasiaBear (09/21/16 12:18 PM)

#341961 - 09/21/16 12:50 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

The vet said that they want to do bloodwork but were trying the new food first. They are leaning away from that being the diagnosis because he's not losing weight at a rapid pace. He said that he thinks Ronin just has a very sensitive digestive track. I'm really confused. I can't keep changing foods all the time.

Sometimes I feel like I should get a second opinion.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
Yesterday at 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts