Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342102 - 10/05/16 11:27 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
PaddyD Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Massachusetts
I do get some 'looks' when I say that Abby feeds herself. But it has worked
for her for seven years and the vet says she is in "awesome condition".
Also, as for gas, she has probably farted 3 times in her seven years.
Either that or they don't smell?
In the wild, dogs feed themselves as do other animals. I don't understand
why dogs have to be 'fed'. Sure, on the first day or so they will gorge
themselves but, after that, if they always have food in their bowls
I believe they will self-regulate.
Or maybe domestication has made them food idiots.
????
=====================

Top Likes: 0 
#342108 - 10/05/16 04:06 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: PaddyD]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NB, Canada
Haha all quite possible. I think Ronin is fine. He loves the new food and will eat it all, but sometimes I think it's because in the morning he's so hyper and wants to go-go-go, at night he's a bit calmer. I don't concern myself if he doesn't eat first thing in the morning like I did a few weeks ago, but if he doesn't eat at night then I get worried. But so far so good. smile

#342117 - 10/07/16 02:53 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: emilyL
I think Ronin will be ok. He sometimes will get gassy at night, but I think that's more just his digestive system. He never whines or anything and his chest is pretty wide. I'll just keep an eye on him and let the vet know when we seem them Friday.

Unless there are definite signs of something wrong, most vets are happy with that.

To me, the gas does tell me that there is at the least, a problem with digesting the food, and it may be the amount of food at one time, or maybe something else.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#342141 - 10/10/16 08:14 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: MaxaLisa]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't update for a few days. It's thanksgiving here in Canada so we were very busy with guests and all the food. smile I took Ronin to the new vet on Friday and he feels that Ronin has either a high sensitivity to certain proteins or he has EPI. We are doing bloodwork next week (we would have done it that same day but he has to fast for 14 hours and he had eaten a few treats while there) to see if that's the cause and if not then he's pretty sure that it's just us having to play around with food for a bit until we find the one that agrees with him. He agrees that the Venison food he's on now, since it's working, is fine and that if it works, then we'll just watch and see what happens. He did say that Ronin is putting on weight and he is at the perfect weight (77.5 pounds) and looks perfectly healthy otherwise.

However, I did find out the other day, just before we went to the vet, that Ronin's 2 brothers from his litter have been put down due to illness. One of the patients from the dentist office I manage was in to see us and she knew exactly what litter Ronin was from when I told her his date of birth and where I got him. She said that one contracted an illness a few months ago and was put down, the other had a genetic condition and had to be put down as well. She couldn't give me specifics because she couldn't remember, but she did know that both dogs, and a few other litters they have had in the past have severe health problems. I told the vet this and he said that I was fine, Ronin was healthy, everything sounds good and his temperament was very good for a first visit to a new vet.

He also said that Ronin may be just one of those dogs that when they go for walks, they get over excited or stimulated and then they poop a lot, which will mean diarrhea and it's just something that I will have to deal with (which is fine) because he poops mostly normal now, other than his walks or after a lot of physical exercise.

I like the new vet and feel like we're on the right track. We go in next week for the bloodwork and we'll see what it says. Hopefully we'll figure out if it's that or something else and go from there. smile

#342143 - 10/10/16 01:18 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

THis sounds like good news!

#342145 - 10/11/16 11:07 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: middleofnowhere]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Yep it is smile I'm pretty happy with the way things went. Next we're looking at getting him neutered in the next month or two.

#342146 - 10/11/16 12:00 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

On the neutering stuff -- why? Vets tend to promote that but if you are going to do it, I suggest waiting until he is 2 or older.

#342151 - 10/12/16 07:13 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: middleofnowhere]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

We had always planned on getting him neutered at a year. We talked it over with the trainer first and he said a year for Ronin was fine. He's not going to be a working dog, we can't do Schutzhund with him, so the trainer said a year old was fine, and he turns a year old on November 29th, so we were thinking early December. The vet said anywhere between 12-14 months for Ronin is fine, with regards to bone growth and the growth plates closing. I know a lot of people want to wait until they're fully matured, but we want to do it sooner. We're also hoping that it will help simmer him down a bit. I know the whole myth thing about calming them down, but we would like to see some of the aggression come down a bit, because the trainer even said that was part of the issue. It's not going to go away, I know that, but it might help curb it a bit.

#342389 - 10/31/16 08:33 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

UPDATE: So we have found out that Ronin does not have EPI, he just has a lot of food sensitives. All bloodwork came back normal and he is as healthy as ever, putting on the correct amount of weight as well. The food he is currently on is doing great, but Ronin just has an active digestive system when it comes to exercise. Sometimes he will go 3 times on a walk, with the first being solid, the second being about 50% solid and the last nothing but water. Our vet said some dogs are just that way and we may never really 100% know why he does this, but it doesn't hurt him so he'll be fine. smile

I'm just glad that we are finally getting a few things figured out smile Ronin continues to only really eat at night, but the vet said that it is fine and that he's not losing weight so he's obviously not starving himself. He is having a bit of an allergic reaction to something but we're not sure if it's environmental or something else. The vet did say that since he has been on this food for 2 months now or so, his body might just be trying to get rid of the stuff that is still in his system from the old food but for now we're giving him some allergy meds to help with his itching and scratching.

#342391 - 10/31/16 03:25 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
Codmaster Offline
Veteran

Loc: CA
good luck with your dog - you guys certainly seem to have a lot of issues.

Top Likes: 1 
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Excavation
by Woodreb
07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Buddy 04/07/2000 to 11/24/2017
by PositiveDog
12/02/17 08:37 PM
Santa may giving early Christmas Present to us.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
11/30/17 09:47 AM
How to keep my GSD Maximus calm at K9 class
by Kimbe's 3
11/29/17 02:00 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Resurrected :)
by SouthernThistle
11/08/17 10:34 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (jlstudent1970), 33 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3, ElsaMae
2863 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2863 Members
100 Forums
20327 Topics
324469 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts