German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#341963 - 09/21/16 01:10 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NB, Canada
I've decided that I will get a second opinion. I've made an appointment with another well respected vet in our area. I'm going to take Ronin to see him and see if we can figure out what is going on with him.

Top Likes: 0 
#341965 - 09/21/16 04:06 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
A second opinion can't hurt but since these things can be so hard to pinpoint, they'll probably have vague answers/ideas/suggestions after just one visit. It would take more than just a visit to establish a good report, ya know? But hey, who knows, you might end up liking this vet a lot more and sticking with them instead.

I still question the Royal Canin. I'm not sure I understand his logic about the vegetable proteins in regard to EPI. Ronin was doing fine on raw food, right? It was just once you switched to different kibbles that he started with the upset stomachs?

#341966 - 09/21/16 04:50 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

He was good on raw for a while then he would have a bad bout of diarrhea. Near the end of doing the raw food, the last 2 months, he was constantly having diarrhea. Then we went to kibble and it got worse. Now we're to the point that we have to do something and find something he can tolerate. He was getting dehydrated, losing weight, and his poor bum was so red and sore. It's bene a very hard, and very expensive time for me. I just want him to feel better and get on a food that's good for him and that he can eat.

This other vet apparently is one that the majority of the city I live in love. He's been practicing for 40 years and I have a friend who was recently going through kind of the same thing with her mix breed dog, and after one visit with him, they figured out the problem and the dog is doing 100% better. Not saying this will happen with me, but this vet has a very good reputation. I didn't go to them before because they didn't have appointments for months, but they've brought on another vet to help so now we're going to see if we like him better.

#341971 - 09/22/16 01:12 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
Codmaster Offline
Veteran

Loc: CA
Most any time you change a dogs food one can expect diareah! Unless you make the change VERY gradually over the course of at least a week or so.

Of course if a dog already has it, changing probably won't make it any worse.

#341972 - 09/22/16 07:18 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Codmaster]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

When we switched from raw to kibble we couldn't do it gradually. But even on the raw he was having diarrhea, and it did slowly get worse. It went from pudding to water by the end of the month. We've switched him to this kibble and within 12 hours Ronin was back to solid, not a single ounce of runny. So I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with him, but it has to be something to do with his digestive track I would think.

#341979 - 09/22/16 12:47 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
I would do the bloodwork. Even if you can somewhat manage the symptoms via highly manufactured food, you still want to know if there is EPI, which can get worse as the dog ages, as well asa B-12 deficiency and SIBO (those are typically test for at the same time). Be sure you do the fast for the epi test. Vets who are hesitant to do necessary bloodwork are as bad as vets that overdo the testing!

I am not a fan of the force feeding of food that they don't want to eat. I trust the dog's instinct. As for changing from the food that he was on to the new fan, I can appreciate the hesitancy, no comparison in quality, though the content may be better either in digestibility or removal of an offending incredient. It could be as easy as a fat intolerance (hence the need for enzymes).

You need to find out why the other food was intolerable - ingredients, epi, sibo.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#342032 - 09/29/16 09:00 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: MaxaLisa]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

So we have switched Ronin off of the vet's kibble to a new one. The vet gave the Ok for this after Ronin didn't eat for a week. Despite being so hungry he was starting to eat rocks! I had enough. The vet wanted me to wait another few days but I said no. I found a food at the local pet store that was for sensitive stomachs, and I only got a small bit and started Ronin off slow. So far, Ronin likes it, his poops are all solid, and even though now he's being picky he's eating about 2.5 cups a day out of the 3.5 he should be having.

The food is called Petcurean GO! Limited Ingredient Venison Recipe. The ingredient list is below. Do you think this is a good food? I know Ronin is being picky after having been fed Raw for so long, but he's going to have to get used to it. I'm not worried about him now not eating, even if he doesn't eat as much as before.

Ingredients:
De-boned venison, venison meal, tapioca, peas, pea flour, lentils, chickpeas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried chicory root, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried rosemary.

#342033 - 09/30/16 10:18 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
That looks like a good ingredient list to me... I would feed it to my dog. Did you have your appointment with the other vet yet?

#342034 - 09/30/16 10:22 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

I haven't yet but I'm booked next week. So far Ronin is doing good on it and I don't want to switch it again, and the price is reasonable too. He did have some diarrhea this morning, but he also went full tilt running for about 10 minutes and I find that if he overdoes it his system goes in to overdrive, so I'm not too worried, and since it was more pudding texture it's fine in my mind. He's eating it without me adding anything to it, and they also have other proteins as well that they said I can switch him to later on if I want. But so far the Venison is working out well. smile

#342035 - 09/30/16 07:16 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
Woodreb Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
I agree - the new food seems pretty decent. Hope Ronin continues to do well on it.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Mary Jane), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324503 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts