Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342036 - 09/30/16 07:45 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
Codmaster Offline
Veteran

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: emilyL
So we have switched Ronin off of the vet's kibble to a new one. The vet gave the Ok for this after Ronin didn't eat for a week. Despite being so hungry he was starting to eat rocks! I had enough. The vet wanted me to wait another few days but I said no. I found a food at the local pet store that was for sensitive stomachs, and I only got a small bit and started Ronin off slow. So far, Ronin likes it, his poops are all solid, and even though now he's being picky he's eating about 2.5 cups a day out of the 3.5 he should be having.

The food is called Petcurean GO! Limited Ingredient Venison Recipe. The ingredient list is below. Do you think this is a good food? I know Ronin is being picky after having been fed Raw for so long, but he's going to have to get used to it. I'm not worried about him now not eating, even if he doesn't eat as much as before.

Ingredients:
De-boned venison, venison meal, tapioca, peas, pea flour, lentils, chickpeas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried chicory root, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried rosemary.

Your dog didn't eat for a week! That sounds really amazing! What did the vet say about your dog not eating for a week! Worst I ever had was a dog who wouldn't eat for an entire day! Without being sick of course. Your dog really sounds unusual!

Top Likes: 0 
#342038 - 09/30/16 09:50 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Codmaster]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NB, Canada
Yep so far so good. Yes for a week. It really scared me. He wouldn't eat it if I put yogurt in it, or pumpkin, and the only thing he would eat was treats I gave him when he was doing training or when I put him in his crate before work. The vet kept saying to just wait him out. By the seventh day, I wasn't having it. I went to the pet store, got this food after a lot of time looking at pretty much every brand there, and I went home and gave him 1 cup to see how he did and he devoured it. He has slowly been increasing the amount he eats per day. Now, we're up to the full amount. He still won't eat it at 2 times a day, but will eat some in the morning and then all the rest at night at supper time. So I'm not worried about that too much.

He had no diarrhea the entire time we've had him on it until today, but that was because I think he went outside and ran around a bit too much after just eating so I'm not going to worry about that. Every other day so far it's been all solid, even if he was rushing to get outside. I'm expecting a bit more diarrhea over the next few days just because he's at the full amount which is different for him, but we'll see how it goes. Crossing my fingers.

#342041 - 10/01/16 10:15 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
That's really great news. My guess is that he's a picky eater and the first kibble had really low quality ingredients. One week without food is pretty scary though. Over here, one day sans food would scare me, but every dog is different. Have you ever fed him green tripe? That might be a handy thing to have if you ever need to coax him to eat his kibble. Most dogs go bonkers for it. It's really stinky and flavorful and super nutritious.

#342044 - 10/01/16 12:22 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

I've heard that. My concern with that is that I'm super allergic to fish and seafood so I don't think I could handle that. I was really scared after day 3 of no eating but they said to leave it and he would eat, but nope. I was terrified. Just glad he's doing better now and is back pretty much to his normal self

#342047 - 10/01/16 02:16 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
Tripe isn't fish or seafood it's the stomach lining of farm animals.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#342049 - 10/01/16 09:20 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Woodreb]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Oh really? Someone told me once that it was fish! I'll have to look into that for sure then.

#342053 - 10/02/16 10:13 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran

Loc: Albany NY
It's the stomachs of ruminants- cud chewing- animals. It can't be the stuff for human consumption from the grocery store though since they clean and bleach it out. Green tripe is unprocessed so all the digestive enzymes, probiotics, partially digested grass, etc. are still in there. It's very... erm... aromatic, lol. But it must taste wonderful to dogs. I haven't used it since I had to get rid of my freezer when I moved to a tiny apt. but finding a good source was tricky. I think there might be companies who ship... not sure why I never looked into that but there must be. I should look into that for myself now that I think about it.

#342054 - 10/02/16 11:30 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
ChristianLai Offline

Loc: BC
Hi !

I would recommend to work her and get her tired ( hikes ,play, fast spurts)etc.
Set a schedule feed only small amounts and buy the smallest bag.

#342060 - 10/02/16 04:07 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: ChristianLai]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
So great you found a food that is working. I think most of the vet script foods as "last resport" trials, mostly because there is such poor nutrition in them and most dogs don't like them.

If there is a reluctance to eat in the morning, that may be signs of trouble brewing (might not be). You might try some probiotics like the mercola pet probiotics in the evening, which often helps a stomach that isn't quite right.

I use the K9 natural tripe. Jazz will only eat the freeze dried (as opposed to frozen or canned), but it was a turning point in her IBD. I've been meaning to try the raw someday.

Again, I don't think this is picky for the sake of picky. I think this is picky because things aren't optimal. How not optimal depends on the sensitivity of the dog. Some dogs will stop eating sooner than others. Other donkt stop eating if there are other dogs/cats in the house. I definitely wouldn't let that go on for a week, but you are learning what is going on with your dog AND also when to trust your instinct over yout vet's.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#342061 - 10/02/16 04:12 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: ChristianLai]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: ChristianLai
Hi !

I would recommend to work her and get her tired ( hikes ,play, fast spurts)etc.
Set a schedule feed only small amounts and buy the smallest bag.

Good advice in general, but definitely get the food right and make sure there aren't other underlying issues.

As a side note, I had my first dog on a prescription food for awhile. This was long beforeallergy" foods were available in the stores and before there was such a great variety offered. It was a Royal Canin food, and I had some bags that were "off" and weren't manufactured properly. I never realized it until I got the new bag and my dog got better. So, remember, ALL processed food is subject to poor processing which may affect the dog (or cat).

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
Yesterday at 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts