German Shepherd Home
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#342072 - 10/03/16 02:19 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: MaxaLisa]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NB, Canada
@MaxaLisa-I'm a little concerned that he will only eat all his food at night, but I think that's just him being picky. Because he will eat it all. I figure that he was on raw food for so long that he's wishing it was that.

Top Likes: 0 
#342077 - 10/03/16 10:55 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've had dogs that prefer an evening meal - currently BTE 2 generally will eat in the evening and only sometimes in the morning. I don't push it. She's fit, she's good weight, she's happy.

#342079 - 10/04/16 09:20 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
PaddyD Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: emilyL
@MaxaLisa-I'm a little concerned that he will only eat all his food at night, but I think that's just him being picky. Because he will eat it all. I figure that he was on raw food for so long that he's wishing it was that.

We keep food available for Abby all day. She usually decides to eat it at night.
Sometimes she will eat during the day, sometimes she won't eat at all.
When her bowl is empty we refill it and she decides when and how much to eat.
She has maintained a healthy weight (with a waistline) her whole life this way.
Many people say a dog should not eat a lot before bedtime or before strenuous
exercise due to the danger of bloating. For that reason, if she decides to
eat at night, we restrict the amount to 2 cups. She usually stops at that
on her own.
=====================

#342081 - 10/04/16 11:23 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: PaddyD]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

I never knew about Ronin possibly getting bloated at night from eating so late. Is that something I should really be concerned about or not really? He's eating his full amount, and eats it from supper time on, and will finish it by bedtime at 10. But he's eating the full recommended amount on the bag and not losing weight so that's not my concern so much. He's still active and his poops are still solid, no diarrhea.

I'm not as concerned as I was before. We go to the new vet on Friday, and I did call them to ask about it, but they said he sounds like he's doing fine and to just watch him until we go and see them on Friday.

#342082 - 10/04/16 12:35 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Emily, while it is generally accepted that eating two or three meals over the course of 24 hours is healthier than eating one large meal, there has been no real conclusion about bloat except that dogs with deep narrow chests are more prone to it than dogs that are "rounder".
One of my friends who used to have Akitas did the entire routine - divided meals, no vigorous activity before and after meals and still had dogs bloat.
The best safeguard for preventing bloat I think is to know the signs and know where the emergency vet is located. I am one of the few people I know who had a dog survive bloat and go on to live a healthy, active life for many years.
The main factor I think contributed to her bloat was that she was very upset I had used some deer repellent in the yard. (over the top of newly planted bulbs to keep squirrels away). She planted herself on top of them & I had to physically remove her. She also fit the description - deep narrow chest, alert, active "go get it" dog.

#342085 - 10/04/16 04:00 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: middleofnowhere]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

I think Ronin will be ok. He sometimes will get gassy at night, but I think that's more just his digestive system. He never whines or anything and his chest is pretty wide. I'll just keep an eye on him and let the vet know when we seem them Friday.

#342089 - 10/04/16 08:16 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL]
Codmaster Offline
Veteran

Loc: CA
Never had a dog who determined for themselves when they would/would not eat.

We fed our adult dogs 2/day - am and pm. Food left down about 20-30 minutes and then picked up and put away.

If they ate they ate, if not then had to wait for the next meal coming. They also got a few treats when training or if they were really cute!

Some dogs would "Scarf" their food and some were much more picky - as long as they were not sick - so what?

If they were hungry they ate and if not they didn't. Never really worried about it and used no special "additives" i.e. canned food or meat or juices.

Dogs are smart - start using these things and they come to expect them (Like we would!).

#342091 - 10/04/16 09:59 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Codmaster]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Of course Codmaster, you are the perfect dog owner and never had a dog that had digestive issues that alter their normal eating habits. My first GSD went 5 days as an eight week old puppy and wouldn't eat and ate nothing. I took him to the vet we checked all kinds of things and could not come up with any reason why he wasn't eating. Finally I figured out through trail and error that you could never mix any thing with his food. If I wanted him to eat I would put a table spoon of left over or that ever in a small bowl next to his kibble, he would eat the goodies and then go eat his kibble. If I took the same goodies and placed it even on top of his food he wouldn't touch it. I had a dog with Pancreatits and there were days he was in a flare and didn't want to eat, but that is very dangerous for him, so some days I would make Oat Meal with ground meat in it and I would hand feed him if I had to to get him to eat. Another one of my GSD's was allergic to chicken and it took me a long time to figure it out. Another GSD if I didn't give her about 1/4 cup of food at bed time she would throw up bile in the AM and then I couldn't get her to eat.

So instead of being so right and a know it all, you could either be nicer or not post at all.

Emily, Glad to hear that you boy is doing better.

Fuzzybutt the cat.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

Top Likes: 1 
#342092 - 10/04/16 10:20 PM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
Jane Jean Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southwest, MI
I had a dog go off food for several days, then his appetite returned. NO diarrhea, no vomiting, just lack of appetite and a bit grumpy. A month later, again, no appetite for 5 days. By day 5 I had bloodwork run and he was in kidney failure. He spent the next two weeks at MSU being treated for leptospirosis.

IF you haven't had a complete blood panel run and other tests, I would recommend it. Most dogs do not go off food for no reason.
Sometimes the organs are not working properly which affects the appetite. You don't know exactly what is going on inside without running some tests.

I would recommend giving digestive enzymes, probiotics and try to do these naturally(green tripe suggestion is what I feed for these, as well as milk kefir for more probiotics)
Your dogs gut must be a bit out of whack if there is gas happening....probiotics may help balance the flora.
I hope it is just 'picky' eater and nothing more serious!
SweetClover3.17.94~11.24.08 Kacie 7.21.2005-5.01.2015

#342099 - 10/05/16 09:03 AM Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Jane Jean]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

@codmaster-We did the only eat at certain times and then take the food up and then he just wouldn't eat, even when I would leave the food down. Resulting in the no eating for a week. I really don't want that to happen again. It scared me too much.

@Wisc.Tiger_Val-Thank you! I'm really glad he's getting better. I think there is something else going on, but I do think that a lot of the proteins bother his stomach. We seem to be on the right path right now, but we're just going day by day. Nice to know that I'm not alone with my experiences. smile

@Jane Jean-Oh no I hope your boy is OK! That would be awful to go to. Thankfully Ronin has been eating every day, and even if it's only at night for now I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I am planning on having the vet do some bloodwork this Friday when I see him to make sure that there isn't anything underlying that we're not seeing. Thankfully the gas has stopped, and he only had it for 2 days so fingers crossed!

This morning he ate most of his food I gave him, which was about half of the daily intake he should have, and he only left about half a cup, so I think he's coming back around, but it's just a process we have to work through. He's his normal self and as hyper as ever so we'll see how he does on Friday at the vet and cross my finger everything goes well. I'll make sure to let you know what the vet says! smile

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Buddy 04/07/2000 to 11/24/2017
by PositiveDog
12/02/17 08:37 PM
Santa may giving early Christmas Present to us.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
11/30/17 09:47 AM
How to keep my GSD Maximus calm at K9 class
by Kimbe's 3
11/29/17 02:00 PM
My fur crew
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 09:35 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Resurrected :)
by SouthernThistle
11/08/17 10:34 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Woodreb), 41 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3, ElsaMae
2863 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2863 Members
100 Forums
20325 Topics
324452 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts