German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#343735 - 03/20/17 02:06 PM Ronin Has Passed
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NB, Canada
I had hoped to never write this but I wanted to let you know that Ronin has passed away. He was put to sleep this morning after suffering seizures due to a brain tumor. He was 15 months and the best thing that has happend to me in the past year. We gave him the best possible last few days we possibly could with his favorite things and foods that he loved. We took him to his favorite places and let him play on the beach. I know he is no longer in pain now and for that I am grateful. I'll forever love and miss my Ronin (aka Stink Butt). Thank you to everyone for your advice and help when I asked for it. #RIP Ronin.

Top Likes: 0 
#343736 - 03/20/17 03:57 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Emily,

I can't believe this. I am so terribly sorry that you had to let Ronin go so very soon.

You have my real sympathy for your loss.

Mary Jane

#343737 - 03/20/17 04:21 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Mary Jane]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Pooh-Bah

I was shocked when I read your post. I'm so deeply sorry, my heartfelt sympathies go out to you. hugging Please accept my sincere condolences. RIP sweet angel. angel
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#343738 - 03/20/17 04:46 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
I am so sorry to read of your sudden loss of Ronin. My heart is with you during this sad time.

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#343739 - 03/20/17 05:45 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: PositiveDog]
Codmaster Online   content
Veteran

Loc: CA
Our deepest sympathy to you.

He certainly sounds like a super dog.

All we can do is urge you to remember the good times you had with him and all the joy of him!

#343741 - 03/20/17 07:29 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Codmaster]
Woodreb Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
I was shocked to read your post. My deepest sympathy for your loss.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#343742 - 03/20/17 07:33 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Woodreb]
zyp Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Shreveport
I'm so sorry for your hurt!

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

#343744 - 03/20/17 08:22 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: zyp]
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Massachusetts
Emily, I'm so very, very sorry. My deepest compassion on such an unexpected loss. I'm wishing you strength.

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz

#343745 - 03/20/17 09:02 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Braverhund]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
I can not imagine the shock and pain you are going through. Some times life is just so unfair. RIP Ronin.

Fuzzybutt the cat.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

#343746 - 03/21/17 09:15 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
Sylv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sharon, Ontario, Canada
I am so terribly sorry! My heart hurts for you.

#343754 - 03/21/17 11:23 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Sylv]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Oh my gosh, how devastating. I'm so very sorry.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#343756 - 03/22/17 02:58 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: MaxaLisa]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Emily , I am so sorry. This is the last thing I would have expected. You were doing so well with him, you gave him such a great life. You were so receptive to the ideas the group offered. A dog could not have had a better home.

#343758 - 03/22/17 05:59 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: middleofnowhere]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you everyone. I'm sorry I am so slow at answering back, but it's been a bit of a rough the past couple of days but I have come to accept that this was the best decision we could have made for Ronin. I wanted to explain a bit of why this was happening. We started to realize something was wrong in the past few months because Ronin's training was slipping and he was becoming severely aggressive towards men and other dogs and also towards myself and my husband at times. We already had a few issues with that but we found a great trainer and he helped us get back on track for a while. Ronin was no longer listening, he was getting kind of lazy about things, and if he even heard a man's voice he would start to go crazy. One day he bite me hard on the thigh for telling him no he couldn't go play with another dog. We had no idea why. Then last week, I took him outside and put him on the long line in our backyard because he had a slight injury to his back leg from slipping on ice, but the vet said that was okay for a few minutes to he could do his business, so I left him for a minute to go and check on some water pooling by our house (we were having a lot of water issues). Next thing I know, Ronin starts barking like crazy, and he broke the line, jumped our 5ft gate (which was closed) knocking me to the ground so I hit my head on the stone walkway we have, and raced towards the end of the driveway. He would not come back.

My neighbor heard me and came to help. Long story short, Ronin reacted like I have never seen him before. He knew the neighbor and loved him. Next thing I know, he snarled with spit flying, grabbed him by the arm and started shaking him. I yelled and he finally did let go. I was lucky he only got the man by the coat and did not touch skin. But when Ronin let go, he ran towards another neighbor, and when I called him again, he rounded on me, snarling and coming at me. His eyes were wild, and his head was twitching like I had never seen. Yes he had had seizures, but nothing like this. He didn't know who I was. He all of a sudden came out of it, let out a cry that was sharp and so very painful, and ran away from me. I found him cowering in another woman's yard, terrified and shaking. I got him home and called the vet. We found out later on that weekend about the brain tumor. This all happened last Wednesday.

Due to the fact he went after my neighbor, who will sue you six ways to Sunday for just looking at them wrong, they insisted that we put him down. We looked at rehoming him and were successful at finding someone(this was before we found out about the tumor) and we had consulted a behaviorist, but they were filing a complaint with the police so we were running out of time to do what was best for him. Ronin was in pain and it was obvious. The vet suggested that we very strongly consider putting him to sleep after something that severe. That was not going to get better, there was nothing surgically they could do, and our vet said that he was going end up hurting us or someone else if we left the decision too long. We made the difficult decision that it was not fair for him to suffer, and he was very much suffering. We did everything we could to make his last day with us the best he had ever had. We gave him a huge juicy meaty bone, we walked and played and did everything we could to make him comfortable despite being horribly sick (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, seizures) and kissed and hugged him so he knew how much we loved him.

We took him to the vet Monday morning, and we cried the entire way there. But Ronin had a seizure, a violent seizure while there that required four people (myself and husband included) to hold him down until it passed because he would have fallen off the table, and when he finally went to sleep he looked at me and I knew he was finally pain free. He burrowed close to me, I held him and kissed him goodbye. I will never love another dog the way I did him.

I hope that no one thinks that what we did was selfish. I had someone tell me that, that I did not give him a chance, but we had to go by the vets recommendation and the look that Ronin was giving me. I am not looking for someone to say yes, we did the right thing or no we did not. I just wanted him to be at peace and no longer in pain.

I am getting a tattoo of his paw print and name on my shoulder (my first tattoo) to always have a piece of him with me. We have also found out that the other pups in his litter suffered the same fate. All have been put to sleep due to illnesses and tumors. It was bad breeding, but we gave him everything we could to give him the best life we could. I will always miss my boy. I am just glad that I had him for as long as we did.

#343759 - 03/22/17 08:36 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Emily, there was no question in my mind that you were doing what was best for Ronin.

With the Tumor diagnosis, increased seizure activity, the attacking your neighbor and you, there wasn't much of a choice. Ronin wasn't your loving Ronin anymore the tumor had or was destroying his brain. Keeping him alive would have cruel and dangerous for you and others.

Of course you will never love another dog as much as Ronin. First because he was your first GSD and second each dog is different so your love for them will be different.

Fuzzybutt the cat.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14

#343760 - 03/22/17 09:00 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: emilyL
We took him to the vet Monday morning, and we cried the entire way there. But Ronin had a seizure, a violent seizure while there that required four people (myself and husband included) to hold him down until it passed because he would have fallen off the table, and when he finally went to sleep he looked at me and I knew he was finally pain free. He burrowed close to me, I held him and kissed him goodbye. I will never love another dog the way I did him.

teary I'm so terribly sorry for your DH and you. RIP dear sweet angel.

Edited by SeanRescueMom (03/22/17 09:01 PM)
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#343761 - 03/22/17 09:04 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you. No he wasn't. I still the glimps of him that he was my Ronin. But he was getting dangerous. He is across that rainbow bridge and we will see him again.

#343762 - 03/23/17 08:47 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Emily,

I would like to thank you for describing the abrupt changes that Ronin suffered as his brain disease progressed. For me it was a terrible revelation that behavior could be affected so obviously and so fast. Your poor boy was profoundly sick and you saved him from more pain.

It's just so sad.

MJ

#343768 - 03/23/17 10:25 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Mary Jane]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you Mary Jane. I hadn't really posted much in the past few months, and I know it would be a shock to everyone. When I posted the original message we were not ready to describe everything, but I have had a few days to let myself grieve. I dreamed of him last night and we were playing in our favorite ball field like we always did. I saw his joy and when I woke up I was crying and felt like he was telling me he was okay, he was happy. That's what I want to remember, not what happened this past week.

#343769 - 03/23/17 11:35 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Sylv]
Islandgsds Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Ca...
I'm so so sorry. teary
RIP Ronin gsdhalo

#343770 - 03/23/17 03:28 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Islandgsds]
Remo Offline

What a nightmare. My heart goes out to you at this sad, sad time. You absolutely made the right decision for your beloved boy. Always remember him as he was before this tragedy.

#343774 - 03/23/17 03:54 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Remo]
AgilePaws Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Woodstock, IL
How sad and tragic. I am so sorry for your loss.

RATCH SG Wisp v Schneiden Fels BH RA CAA CGC TC HIC
SG Chase v Mittelwest BH

VP1 Flame v Nummer-Eins

Top Likes: 1 
#343775 - 03/23/17 09:55 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: AgilePaws]
Kris Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Oh Emily, this is just so tragic... From your description of what happened, he was a very sick boy. You and your husband gave him the final gift of peace and no pain. There is no doubt that he knew how much he was loved and I hope you find comfort in that. I believe as you do that we will see them again someday. I am so sorry for your loss...
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey

#343782 - 03/24/17 04:21 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Sylv]
anniej Offline
Addict

So very sorry to hear about your loss- it was claer from your posts how much you adored your boy and what a fantastic dog he was -RIP Ronin

#343784 - 03/24/17 06:03 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: anniej]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh Emily, this is just so unfair for all the work you put in with your beloved dog to have it end so awfully. There is nothing he could do differently, nothing you could do for him more than what you had. He was most fortunate to have you, to have people who cared deeply for him, who did all they could do and, in the end, what they had to do.
Throughout your dealing with Ronin, you have had my admiration. It is only heightened by the underlying tragedy.

#343786 - 03/24/17 08:17 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: middleofnowhere]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you. I made a lot of mistakes in the past months like training too much on our trainer's advice but Ronin loved it. We also joined a scent detection group. He loved it. And was amazing at it. He taught me more in the 13 months we had him than I could have ever kmagined. I hope that he had a good life with us. I dreamt of him last night and he was his normal happy self. I woke up smiling. He was such a good boy. smile

#343787 - 03/24/17 08:26 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
Shilohsmom Online   content
Veteran

Emily, I'm so sorry to hear of Ronin's passing. I know how it hurts when we loose one of our precious angels, but I hope you find comfort in knowing he knew he was loved.

Proud Mom to Shoshi, Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#343865 - 03/31/17 01:50 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
kelbonc Offline

Emily, my heart hurts for you. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to your beautiful boy. I hope with time his memory will bring smiles instead of tears. He would want that for you. Run free Ronin, run free.

#343919 - 04/03/17 09:38 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: kelbonc]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Hey everyone. So we got our tattoos done this weekend. My husband and I got matching ones. They turned out amazing. We had Ronin's actual paw print. I love them and will always have a piece of him with me. smile

#343923 - 04/03/17 02:17 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
Sylv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sharon, Ontario, Canada
Oh Emily, I wish I could reach through this keyboard and give you a big hug!

#343924 - 04/03/17 04:26 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: Sylv]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you. smile It makes me happy to have this piece of him. We also have picture albums full at home, but this was something extra special that my husband suggested. smile

#343944 - 04/04/17 11:01 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
aubie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Alabama
I'm just catching up and sweetheart, I'm so sorry. But also proud that you did the best, yet hardest thing, for your pup. You gave him a fantastic life, one that most people would have stopped short of. I'm giving huge, virtual hugs! The tats are fantastic. grouphug
Duncan Dog RIP 2/99-10/15
Danger Kitties: Mia & Winston RIP Alley Cat 10/12, Simon 6/13
Andon two-legger
Anna's Dog Blog: www.annathegsd.blogspot.com

#343959 - 04/05/17 06:19 PM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: aubie]
emilyL Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you. smile I'm doing a lot better with it now, more because I know we did the right thing, and the tattoos are something that we will have forever that means he's always with us. My husband came up with the idea, and I think it was the best one he could have come up with. I'm sad he's gone, but I have friends in the neighborhood with shepherds and they all have supported me as well. I actually just got news that one of them will be bred this summer, and she wants me to help with the pups as much as possible. More just because she's nervous as this is her first litter with this female, and she is also a foster mom so she wants some help with the kids too.

#343967 - 04/06/17 09:44 AM Re: Ronin Has Passed [Re: emilyL]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
I am so sorry. I have not been on in a few weeks and just saw this. Although difficult you did the right thing for Ronin. Hugs...

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Excavation
by Woodreb
Today at 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
Today at 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Buddy 04/07/2000 to 11/24/2017
by PositiveDog
12/02/17 08:37 PM
Santa may giving early Christmas Present to us.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
11/30/17 09:47 AM
How to keep my GSD Maximus calm at K9 class
by Kimbe's 3
11/29/17 02:00 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Resurrected :)
by SouthernThistle
11/08/17 10:34 AM
Who's Online
2 registered (Shilohsmom, Woodreb), 38 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3, ElsaMae
2863 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2863 Members
100 Forums
20326 Topics
324454 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts