German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#344993 - 08/22/17 10:48 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: Karin]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Karin
Just now, I made up her breakfast with all the things she likes on top and she wouldn't even touch it.

There were times when out of the clear blue sky Sean would not eat either. The only way I could get him to eat was to sit on the floor with him and feed him a little at a time out of my hand.

Regarding you overanalyzing everything, isn't that what we all do for our dogs? I think it's perfectly normal. wink We form such a close bond with them that we try to fix everything and when we don't know the cause of something it effects us. After the Cholodin wasn't working as well for Sean the specialty vet switched him to something else and it did help but off the top of my head I can't recall what it was, if I remember I'll let you know. Sending special thoughts your way, will be anxious to hear what your vet has to say. hug
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

Top Likes: 0 
#344994 - 08/23/17 06:30 AM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: Karin]
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
I'm so sorry for what you are all going through.

You are so good with her and have no doubt made her life so much better. I will be thinking of you.

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#345016 - 08/26/17 02:31 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: PositiveDog]
Karin Offline
Old Hand

Loc: San Jose, California
Thank you for all the replies and kind words. I really appreciate it. We had our vet visit and it went well. We showed her videos of Heidi doing the head tilts and the rhythmic trembling, and our vet said that it did look like something neurological to her. She recommend a veterinary neurologist at a local specialty animal clinic down the street so we went over there and made an appointment for next Tuesday.

In the meantime, we've upped Heidi's CBD oil to 12 drops with breakfast and 12 with dinner, in addition to her regular cholodin tablet & canibit (CBD oil treat). She seems to be doing better. She hasn't had any more head tilts or tremors, although she is still doing the compulsive digging of the grass/carpet/gravel and getting really anxious now and then. She has also been sleeping through the night most of the time, which is a HUGE improvement from before.

Previously, we had her on 2 Cholodin tablets with BF and 2 with dinner and I think it was too much considering she has lost so much weight. And according to the label (and our experiences) sometimes dogs can get overloaded on Cholodin and get extremely agitated. They recommend taking them off it and putting them back on it after a couple of days. That's what we did and now that it's kicking in a bit, it seems to be helping. In my research, I've read about people who say that Cholodin and/or CBD oil has reduced and/or eliminated their dog's seizure activity.

I've also been cooking Heidi stew meat, sweet potatoes, and lean ground beef in, addition to her kibble as well as mixing it in, and she is definitely eating more. She weighed 52 lbs at the vet's and she said she'd like to see Heidi back up to 60 lbs again.

We're not ready to lose Heidi yet (of course, nobody ever is...), so we'll do whatever we can to help her and try and figure out what's going on

Heidi, 11-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California (http://www.savegsd.org)

Sheba, GSD/Malamute angel

#345017 - 08/26/17 02:37 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: Karin]
Karin Offline
Old Hand

Also, the vet called yesterday with the results of Heidi's blood tests. They were all very good, except she said there was a "mild elevation in one of the liver enzymes" (ALT). It was 163, whereas the high end of the range 118. She said that sometimes the ALT can be in multiple hundreds or thousands and it can be transitory, so it may be nothing, but it is new to her previous results and she thought we should do another test in a month or two. I've been looking on the Internet and can't find too much about it. Anyway, at least I feel like she's doing better right now and we're on track to try and figure out what's wrong with her. Thanks again for the support!

Heidi, 11-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California (http://www.savegsd.org)

#345043 - 09/01/17 02:38 AM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: Karin]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Jazz had a couple of different types of seizures. Here are her trembling ones:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLp8Fx2...amp;mode=NORMAL
She also had that weird staring type of seizure.

I personally don't think neuros are super helpful unless you're going to do the MRI and all sorts of testing, and then do different drug therapies.

I would run a tick panel through protatek with any neuro condition and elevated enzymes. I would have to look up what the internist had us run on jazz, but we included the tick stuff as well as toxo and the one that starts with N that I can never remember. (found it: http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/285799/Re:_Facing_difficult_decisions#Post285799)

Jazz seems to no longer have those seizures, but still has anxiety/panic attacks. I do not know what I did to help with the seizures since I did a bunch of things, and she is also on doxy for her collagen issues.

I do think that lots of neuro issues correspond to r-lipoc or alpha lipoic acid and I think there was a distinct improvement in both jazz and indy when I added it to their protocols. I think lecithin also helped jazz, but that's sorta like the cholodin. Too much acetylcholine though can cause that jittery stuff because of the way it affects the communication with the muscles.

I tried some canna-pet for jazz, but it heightened her anxiety and made her more aggressive to other dogs on hikes. I have a friend that is using it for his severely brain injured son and it's been amazing. Different types will have different affects so i'm glad the stuff you are using is working out.

Seizures are so hard. And then with the other aging stuff, it's really hard to know what exactly is going on. I'm really glad though that the cBD oil is helping.

I would find some liver support. Unfortunately they changed the formula for my favorite liver support and I don't know if the new stuff works, so I don't have a good product to recommend.

I also would consider a B complex, but a lower dose one. The b vitamins are so important with neuro conditions, but too much might increase anxiety. The only ones that Max could tolerate were the Jarrow b-right vitamins which are about a B-25 complex.

Edited by MaxaLisa (09/01/17 02:50 AM)
Edit Reason: changed link

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#345086 - 09/05/17 08:12 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: MaxaLisa]
Karin Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I personally don't think neuros are super helpful unless you're going to do the MRI and all sorts of testing, and then do different drug therapies.

Well, we just got back from our visit to the veterinary neurologist and Lisa, you're absolutely right! She said that she thought Heidi's problems were all behavioral but that they could do a spinal tap and MRI to see if there were any problems, but she said it would probably come back normal. I definitely don't want to subject Heidi to that at age 12. It was stressful enough for her just to go through the examination!

She also didn't seem too interested in the videos that we brought to show her and when I asked about hypothyroidism (since Heidi's results were low-normal), she said that wouldn't cause any behavioral issues or anxiety issues, let alone seizures. She said that the main symptom would be low activity.

Everything I've been reading says that anxiety issues (and seizures) can be caused by low thyroid, and sometimes even weight loss can be a result of it (contrary to the weight gain that is common). Plus Heidi's coat is very dull.

She said that they could prescribe trazadone for her anxiety, but I think we should stick with the valium in the times when she is really, really agitated. So, we're back to square one again.

I think I might contact our regular vet and see if she would agree to a trial prescription of a low dose of Thyro Tabs, like Keefer is taking, just to see if it does anything...

Heidi, 11-year-old GSD

#345087 - 09/05/17 08:28 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: Karin]
Karin Offline
Old Hand

Here is one of the videos where Heidi is repeatedly lifting her nose up in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVDV9hdIv9s&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Karin (09/05/17 08:29 PM)

Heidi, 11-year-old GSD

#345088 - 09/05/17 09:25 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: Karin]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Just out of curiosity, have you ever noticed if Heidi does that when she's outside before a storm or fluctuating temperature change? Sean had seizures and would do the exact same thing in the yard, as Heidi did in the video, but only before a storm front.
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#345090 - 09/05/17 09:45 PM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Shilohsmom Online   content
Veteran

I've been following this thread with concern but everytime I go to write I get distracted. sleep

I'm so sorry Heidi is having such problems. As far as the eating, this might be a long shot but have you had her teeth checked? With age comes more dental issues. How are her lips? Sometimes Shoshi has sore lips so I put some meds on them and that helps. For any meat that I add I tend to warm it first in the microwave. It makes it smell more and attracts the pup.

I know Heidi is in good hands. Please keep us posted. Oh, the weathers been so hot that likely will be affecting her too. My pups are miserable here with all the heat.

Proud Mom to Shoshi, Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#345094 - 09/06/17 12:49 AM Re: Seizures in a senior dog? [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Karin Offline
Old Hand

That's interesting that Sean had the same type of head tilts. I really don't think this is a behavioral issue because it seems to be an involuntary movement and something that is so different that she just started out of the blue. I'll have to keep an eye on any weather changes. This has only happened to her when she's been inside the house. And it doesn't seem like it was related to weather, but I will make a note of it if it happens again.

Heidi, 11-year-old GSD

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Excavation
by Woodreb
07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Buddy 04/07/2000 to 11/24/2017
by PositiveDog
12/02/17 08:37 PM
Santa may giving early Christmas Present to us.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
11/30/17 09:47 AM
How to keep my GSD Maximus calm at K9 class
by Kimbe's 3
11/29/17 02:00 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Resurrected :)
by SouthernThistle
11/08/17 10:34 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Woodreb), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3, ElsaMae
2863 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2863 Members
100 Forums
20327 Topics
324471 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts