German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#346415 - 12/22/17 11:17 AM Re: Advice needed [Re: Shilohsmom]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm glad that Zisso checked out well at the vet's, but then that doesn't solve the current problem. He really deserves some comfort at his age, but you explained well how that is more complicated than before.

Worrying about sleeping on the floor-can you get a softer cushion for his crate?

Anyway, good luck with your guy,
MJ

Top Likes: 0 
#346417 - 12/22/17 11:39 AM Re: Advice needed [Re: Mary Jane]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Eastern Oregon
I have tried a bed in his crate, but he won't sleep in there with one. I think it's too hot with all his winter coat. He has that bed in the living room if he wants it. And my bedroom door is open for him to go where he wants.

That said we are going back to the vet today. When we were there, they checked his gums, etc, Overall he is fine, but this morning....

He payed great this morning until I couldn't take the cold any more, but in the process, I noticed his breath is worse than normal. I am now thinking he may have a bad tooth. He always has The Worst breath, even right after a cleaning, but this smells almost like he just ate a pile of poo. So back we go to have it checked.

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.

#346419 - 12/22/17 12:10 PM Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ooops! He *played* great....

Vet appt at 2pm. Pretty sure this is going to be a bulls-eye. Not sure how they missed it yesterday. In my defense, I was fresh out of the dentist myself, when we went, with my lower jaw totally numb. Can't begin to count how many times I bit my tongue. LOL

#346420 - 12/22/17 05:16 PM Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Its so hard sometimes trying to figure out these things. I remember one time I had Shoshi to the Vet several times, she had x-rays, bloodwork, you name it, it was done. As it turned out there was a small piece of harden mud shoved way up in between the pads of her foot. It was hard and no doubt sore. The thing was I knew something was wrong but she didn't give me any good hints. I finally just happened to discover it, but once I did she was fine.

I so hope you get an answer soon and that its nothing serious.

Proud Mom to Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh and Shoshi
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#346422 - 12/22/17 05:46 PM Re: Advice needed [Re: Shilohsmom]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Rosa!

This vet trip also yielded Nothing!

When I took him in last week, he had been shaking his head a lot like he did when he had an ear infection. This time his ear was just very dirty and had a lot of wax in it, so the vet re checked his ear. There was something small and hard in there that he pulled out-no clue what it was- and I will continue to clean his ear for another week.

His temp was fine, no grumbling in checking range of motion, nothing when applying a bit of pressure to his back, legs, etc so overall, there was nothing at all. He did give us 6 tabs of Carpofen as an anti inflammatory. Z's teeth are fine although a bit dirty.

Only other thing I learned is he is a solid 76 lbs.

Vet and I talked about always watching out for bloat, talked about arthritis, talked about the Carpofen affects in the liver, etc. Basically covered our bases. This vet is new to the office. Luckily, because I was there just last week, he was able to call this a recheck and it was cheaper. Of course Z is never happy about being there, but I feel better knowing there is nothing serious going on.

#346423 - 12/22/17 06:00 PM Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm so relieved. Perhaps he's just having some rough times right now. I think it can be hard for our pups during the Holidays with all the goings on. I just hope that is all it is. I know they drive us crazy sometimes crazy I'm just so glad he has you and I know he is too!!!

hugging

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#346426 - 12/22/17 08:59 PM Re: Advice needed [Re: Shilohsmom]
middleofnowhere Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Well, the new info since I weighted in -- bro in, dog kicked out of bedrooms and off couch === he's protesting by telling you about it - making sure you know about it by crawling under the desk (and tangling wires and frustrating you so you will feel his "pain"). If I remember right, bro = causes stress for you. So figure in that he thinks you need to know bro is there and that may be part of the "telling you about it" that's going on.

And MC to you. What better way to spend $$ than at the vet? That is in part jest but in part serious - it at least reaffirms "not that" so far as a health issue goes.

#346428 - 12/22/17 09:11 PM Re: Advice needed [Re: middleofnowhere]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Merry Christmas to you all! Especially you Middle...you crack me up. Z's Christmas gift was a few trips to the vet. I am not so sure that him acting up now is over the eviction from couch and bedroom though-bro has been here since Oct 28. I do think that perhaps the cold and a bit of arthritis is causing some discomfort though. Either way, I can rest easy knowing there is nothing major medically. Also, I just ordered my own ear scope (Otoscope) so I can see in his ears. That will be helpful in keeping this ear clean. I am so not comfortable doctoring it 'blind'. Plus when he has future problems with this ear, I can look first before going to the vet. It was only $7, and will pay for itself the first time it saves us a trip to the dreaded vet. I am grateful he didn't have a problem with a tooth since that could prove to be extra spendy.

In other news, I guess my mom has been doing a good deal of traveling in her world-Disneyland and Florida last week! It's getting hard to keep up with such a busy lady smile We will have her here for Christmas dinner, and then maybe she will settle down for awhile. Dad is fat and sassy, bro has given up on his house ever being ready to move in. It is very discouraging that the builder worked hard all summer, but as soon as he came back here, the builder slowed to a snails pace. I know he wants to go home so badly!

Anyways...

Hope you all enjoy the Holidays!

#346447 - 12/24/17 11:33 AM Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Just checking in to make sure your boy is still doing well. Happy holidays.

#346460 - 12/25/17 09:28 AM Re: Advice needed [Re: Shilohsmom]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Merry Christmas Rosa!

Last night he was up to his restlessness again, driving me crazy. After all the poking and prodding, I found what looks to be a large scab on the inside of one knee. I think it was a hotspot. Dark, and parts of it coming loose in his hair. I couldn't get a good look at it-someone was being difficult and I wasnt ready for the struggle.Will check it out more today. I applied witch hazel to stop the itch. Finally gave up around 10pm and gave him Melatonin and he finally settled down around 11. It's like he does not want my door shut at night.

I never closed my bedroom door when we lived alone, but I do now, for obvious reasons. I don't latch it, just in case Z has an emergency to go out. But all of a sudden, if it is closed he will keep pushing it open. Maybe this is a result of him being 'displaced' by my brother but either way, I am so over it!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Anxiety Attacks
by PaddyD
04/23/18 10:02 AM
Fenrick says hello
by Deschka
04/17/18 04:17 PM
Help with nails!
by SeanRescueMom
04/15/18 10:01 PM
Use of a long line
by middleofnowhere
04/12/18 10:24 PM
The life (and death) of a cone
by Shilohsmom
04/12/18 01:51 PM
Trying to catch a few Zzz's
by DarkEyes
04/12/18 09:02 AM
Siena Rose
by DianaB
04/11/18 03:24 PM
Eli
by Shilohsmom
04/10/18 12:45 PM
That darn cone
by Shilohsmom
04/10/18 12:43 PM
Introducing Niko
by TimberWolf
04/09/18 04:39 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
02:45 PM
Happy Birthday Timberwolf
by Shilohsmom
04/09/18 05:13 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Looking for an update from Codmaster
by middleofnowhere
03/13/18 10:23 PM
just a quick update
by MaxaLisa
02/15/18 11:09 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy, wyattGSD, RC H omeopathy, Erin
2892 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2892 Members
100 Forums
20425 Topics
325706 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts