German Shepherd Home
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#346881 - 02/06/18 07:16 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Shilohsmom Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Eli is doing amazingly well and Mama is off with a new idea on how to help him more.

I'm thinking of making a custom type cart for him. The problem with carts on the market is that they support the back of the dog while letting the dog walk with their front legs. Well Eli can't do one of these because his front legs are likely worse than his back. So this got me thinking. What would help Eli more would be something that would support his body while allowing all legs to move as much as possible.

That's when I thought Eli really could use a full body support. Something that would take the weight off him while allowing him the freedom of walking. Your going to have to use a bit of your imagination to 'see' what I'm thinking but bare with me on this.

I'm thinking my sheet metal friend could use a piece of sheet metal to mold the bottom of Eli's body. The measurements would have to be exact and I would need to pad the top that would come in contact with his body. From that we could attach legs and wheels. We could make it so that I slip it under him and then somehow move a lever and lock it into place so that its snug against his body. The idea is again to take the weight off his legs and yet use his legs for walking.

What do you think??

Proud Mom to Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh and Shoshi
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

Top Likes: 0 
#346882 - 02/06/18 08:15 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Pooh-Bah

Also, my cart would have four wheels instead of the two to give him the stability he needs.

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#346883 - 02/06/18 08:27 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
Before you put too much money in this, check out handicappedpets.com
The do have 4 wheel carts for four or front end support. And they have an excellent reputation.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/adjustable-dog-wheelchairs

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#346884 - 02/06/18 08:40 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: PositiveDog]
Pooh-Bah

I didn't know they made 4 wheel models. Let me go check them out!!!! Thanks Bonnie!!

#346955 - 02/14/18 06:56 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Pooh-Bah

Just a quick update on Eli. For the most part he has been doing very well. The past three days have been hard. I've been staying up late watching the Olympics which causes me to sleep late in the morning. This has thrown off his meds/eating schedule and he's had a lot of accidents because of it. I'm really hoping to get up on time tomorrow and get him back on schedule.

Today he walked his longest walk in a long time. He was amazing happyboogie I'm just so proud of his every step groovy Later I took the pups for ice cream and he didn't have an accident in the car!!! Good news all the way around.

He's also been catching the ball and playing with his little brother, Kody.

So except for the pooping, I think he's doing great. Hopefully, by getting him back on schedule that will improve as well.

#346958 - 02/14/18 07:54 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Mary Jane Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Absolutely fabulous that big brother eli can play with the little (gorgeous) squirt baby brother.

Somehow, I think Ms Rosa, your home is a german shepherd dog wonderland.

have fun,

MJ

#346992 - 02/16/18 02:37 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Mary Jane]
Pooh-Bah

It is remarkable that Eli is able to play with his little brother Kody. Kody can be a real pesty little brother, at times getting right in Eli's face and mimicking him. Its funny, Eli will bark and Kody will bark back, Eli will whine and Kody whines back.

I think having Kody around has been good for Eli. Sure sometimes he's a pain in the behind to Eli but for the most part they have bonded so well.

And yes, our home is set up with the pups in mind. Like so many of your homes toys are everywhere, toy boxes are filled and in almost every room. We have board games and plenty of room to do doggie stuff. When they are happy then I am happy.

Another note, I've gotten Eli back on schedule with his meds. Since I'm hoping this thread might somehow help others, I've learned its critical to have him on a strick meds and feed schedule. Just being off an hour or two threw him into a tailspin.

#347022 - 02/18/18 11:50 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A couple of thoughts here -
On the cart idea - use a cloth sling to support the body - The sheet metal is just a problem in several respects - fit; - access as getting the dog in and out of it; - weight (you will need to move this thing around); - portability/storage - a metal sling is going to be more difficult to collapse.

On the play with Cujo thing (reflecting on Kody's reactivity) -- you might want to look more closely at their interactions and see how "Cujo" has begun to expect other dogs to act/react to him -- how he approaches Eli and Eli him.

#347025 - 02/18/18 07:55 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: middleofnowhere]
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Middle. I did look at the carts Bonnie referred me to and have bookmarked the site. Still not sure what I will do. I'd love to take some of the weight off his failing legs but putting it somewhere else might not help either. At this point, I just have to try to keep him as mobile as possible for as long as possible.

As far as how Kody (aka Cujo) interacts with Eli versus other dogs there really is no comparison. Kody and Eli make a lot of noise but its happy noise, nothing like how Kody reacts to other dogs. But thanks for thinking of that.

#347040 - 02/21/18 08:54 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Pooh-Bah

My dear sweet Eli

IMG_0306 by Rosa Mack, on Flickr

Eli with his little bro, Kody

IMG_0298 by Rosa Mack, on Flickr

They so love each other!

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20445 Topics
325915 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts