German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#346699 - 01/20/18 12:28 AM My dear sweet Eli
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just wanted to start a thread on my dear sweet Eli. He's 11 years old. A recent vet visit showed his weight at 126 lbs which is pretty steady. He's not overweight, he's huge! Of course, being so large is extra hard on his joints eek

Medically, he has osteoporosis in his front elbows and DM in the back. He has an enlarged heart, small irregular kidneys and his liver isn't exactly 100%.

Despite all this my little trooper keeps on going! His spirit and love for life continues. He plays with his brother Kody and even shows interest in toys again. So how are we doing this?? Let me share in case it can help anyone else. Please understand that each case is different and in so many ways I've been blessed with his responses.

For the DM and the dragging of his back feet I had shoes fitted with metal plates so they (the metal plates) scratch the ground instead of his feet. Without the plates his shoes would only last one or two walks as the rubber would just get worn away. Our walks are pretty limited now, I don't want to go far from the home in case he were to go down. But he so enjoys his walks.

His back legs are pretty wobbly and have been for some time. The good news is that it hasn't gotten worse. In addition to walks I give him massages and stretches and range of motion excercies each day.

His fecal incontinence is pretty much under control with the meds (mentioned in that thread) and the behavior modification. He's really got the barking and pooping down to an art!!! I feed him on a strict time schedule and try to never leave him alone for more than a few hours. It's not so much about me having to clean up a mess but I don't want him feeling bad about having an accident.

Pain management has been a top concern for me. He's on Adequin injections monthly. He also takes Gallaprant and Tramadol daily. Recently I started him on CBD. I bought some pills from Canna-Pet but also found some cookies for dogs at the medical marijuana dispensary. We've just started the cookies and so far so good. I also have him on Glucosamine supplements with turmeric and Cholodin for mental awareness.

I took him to the Vet recently for a pain check and am thrilled that we seem to have things under control.

Eli has been a wonderful and devoted friend for 11 years. I am so thankful to be able to pay him back with the loyalty he has given me. I'm hoping that something about his journey might help others. I will continue to update as I learn more and am open to any suggestions others may have. I wish he could do some water based therapy but with his fecal incontince that is not an option.

Edited by Shilohsmom (01/20/18 12:36 AM)

Proud Mom to Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh and Shoshi
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

Top Likes: 0 
#346700 - 01/20/18 07:05 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
GraciesMommy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central NJ
Hugs!! You are such a great dog mom.

Gracie DOB 1/19/06 into our hearts 3/19/06

Accomplishments: CGC, TD, TT, PT [IMG]http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff325/graciemetzger/Pre-trial%20leg%202/sheep.gif[/IMG]

#346701 - 01/20/18 08:41 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: GraciesMommy]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: GraciesMommy
Hugs!! You are such a great dog mom.

Ditto, I couldn't agree more! Eli gives you unconditional love and in return you give him the best quality of life. hug
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#346702 - 01/20/18 12:42 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Kris Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Rosa, you are doing some amazing things for your beloved boy. I just started Sammy on CBD oil also. I bought the human version because it's more concentrated and is cheaper than buying a brand made just for animals. This sounds weird since I live in a state where I can buy anything, but I ordered from Lazarus Naturals (Seattle based) based on many recommendations from people using it for dogs. It's a very good brand.
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey

#346703 - 01/20/18 03:25 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Kris]
Codmaster Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: CA
How long has he been dragging his feet?
Not want to bring up a terrible subject but the course of DM (in both of our pups that had it) is usually only 6-9 mo till it has affected chest and etc. muscles.

Also DM is absolutely painless for the dog - they lose control of muscles as the disease progesses up the spinal cord from tail toward head.

Best of luck to and your boy! That is a terrible disease for dog and owner to have to go through. Your boy has a tremendously loving owner, it is clear!

#346707 - 01/20/18 04:40 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Codmaster]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#346709 - 01/20/18 04:59 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for your kind responses. Eli was diagnosed about a year and a half ago (I'll have to look that up for everyone) after all other conditions were eliminated through testing. This is why I'm sharing this. NOT that I have the cure, oh how I wish that were true. But just to share a little bit of hope that we've had.

By the way the picture above was taken when he got a new pair of shoes but before I put the plates on them. I'll share a picture of that soon, got to take one. The problem was all the shoes would be torn apart and worn down in the front from all the dragging. I had first taken the shoes to a shoe repair place hoping they would fit them with some type of plate but they were no help at all. I then thought of a sheet metal worker and that maybe they could help.

Went down with the shoes and a lot of positive vibes and conveinced the guy he could do it!!! It wasn't hard, I just needed some plates I could cement on to the end. I've since worked with one other sheet metal worker and both have been amazing. Eventually the plates would wear off and break but I keep extras around and am always able to attach a new plate.

I'm amazed every day that Eli is still walking. With his osteoarthritis in the front a cart for the back is not an option. He has gone down in the back at times but we manage. I call it 'the power of Mom' when I'm actually able to lift him up and get him back on his feet, but it works.

#346710 - 01/20/18 05:09 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Kris]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Kris
Rosa, you are doing some amazing things for your beloved boy. I just started Sammy on CBD oil also. I bought the human version because it's more concentrated and is cheaper than buying a brand made just for animals. This sounds weird since I live in a state where I can buy anything, but I ordered from Lazarus Naturals (Seattle based) based on many recommendations from people using it for dogs. It's a very good brand.

Thanks for the recommendation Kris, I'll check them out. Right now were using Holistic Hound but I'm new at this so I'm sure I'll need to try different things before we find what is best for him.

I would really love to get him off, or at least cut down on the amount, the Gallipant (sp?) as its so darn expensive for a dog his size. Unfortunately, there is no generic for this and with Eli's kidney/liver issues its the best RX I can get for him.

I would love to hear how Sammy is doing on it so please keep us posted.

#346712 - 01/20/18 07:51 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just love Eli's face. So you use all your brain to match all your heart to care for your big boy.

It seems to work crossedfingers thank the Lord.

MJ

#346715 - 01/20/18 08:09 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Mary Jane]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Look at the big handsome boy. You have done great by him all your love and super care.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#346718 - 01/20/18 11:22 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
Rosa, are you getting the galliprant rebates. I got $20 back for each of Buddy's scripts. If Eli has a higher dose, it could be $30.

Go to elanco.com to check it out. The code is galliprant30.

It helped Buddy so much. His cbd oil was in capsules by PetReleaf. I was fortunate to be able to order them through the store where I worked, so it was less expensive for me. Still about $58.00 though each month.

I would have done anything for him, just as you do for Eli. Here a lucky guy to be part of your pack.

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#346727 - 01/21/18 03:29 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: PositiveDog]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
Rosa, are you getting the galliprant rebates. I got $20 back for each of Buddy's scripts. If Eli has a higher dose, it could be $30.

Go to elanco.com to check it out. The code is galliprant30.

It helped Buddy so much. His cbd oil was in capsules by PetReleaf. I was fortunate to be able to order them through the store where I worked, so it was less expensive for me. Still about $58.00 though each month.

I would have done anything for him, just as you do for Eli. Here a lucky guy to be part of your pack.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you so much Bonnie!!! Every little bit helps and that will be a big help to me! Eli gets two 60mg tabs a day so I'm thinking that would be 30.00 back each month groovy I'm heading over to that website now!

#346741 - 01/23/18 01:56 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Islandgsds Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Ca...
Eli is so handsome, so dignified looking. It's hard to imagine the years have gone by so fast and with the ravages of time our beloved dog are aging and infirm.
I read the list of vitamins and meds you're giving him and I can tell that he is in the best care he can have. Working with a sheet metal worker was a brilliant idea. I look forward to pictures of his shoes with the plates on them.
Hugs to you Rosa you are an excellent Mom.

#346757 - 01/25/18 07:07 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Islandgsds]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's a couple of pictures of his shoes

IMG_0033 by Rosa Mack, on Flickr

As you can see the metal wraps around the shoe

IMG_0034 by Rosa Mack, on Flickr

#346772 - 01/28/18 04:30 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the pictures, Rosa. I'm absolutely sure Eli knows you think of everything in his best interest. hug The shoes are very innovative.
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#346777 - 01/28/18 06:43 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
dano Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Eli might enjoy the use of a wonderful harness I have used and can attest to it's immediate relief.

orthdog site

Simple enough, but really helped Hugo.

kudos to those 2 ladies @ orthodogs!

dOghaus

#346778 - 01/28/18 06:58 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: dano]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the suggestion. I recently brought out a harness I had bought for Shiloh but its a bit small for Eli. I've got it out now and plan to try to retrofit it for Eli. If it works I can use it on him, otherwise I will need to buy a size bigger but this is a great suggestion.

Right now my big thing is pain management. I'm really hoping to get him off or at least a reduction in the amount of Galliprant that he takes. Its just so expensive for a pup his size. I have began CBD oil. Of course, its all a learning experience. I originally bought from Canna-Pet but found out they aren't that good. So I went with one that Kris recommended.

The big problem with pain management is that Eli has both Kidney and Liver issues and as a result, he can't take most pain meds. So far I haven't found an affordable option which is why I'm so hopeful with the CDB oils.

I assess him each day, trying to figure out what's working and what's not. But if anyone has any other suggestions for pain relief for a dog with kidney and liver issues please don't hesistate to let me know.

#346779 - 01/28/18 07:01 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: dano]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dano
Eli might enjoy the use of a wonderful harness I have used and can attest to it's immediate relief.

orthdog site

Simple enough, but really helped Hugo.

kudos to those 2 ladies @ orthodogs!

I guess got that orthodog site to load. They have some interesting items there. Thanks a lot for sharing.

#346781 - 01/28/18 09:30 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I wish I knew something for that big beautiful Eli, but I don't. From my own experience-pain medications are hugely variable from individual to individual.

If there is something that will work for Eli-Rosa will find it.

I hope you all get some pain relief. I mean Eli has to keep Kodi in line.

MJ

#346788 - 01/29/18 05:19 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Mary Jane]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Well, no luck with new meds for Eli but I'm still really hopeful with the CBD oils. I've also been looking into the benefits of heat for osteoarthritis and my next project is to put together some leg warmers for Eli's front legs!

#346791 - 01/29/18 08:40 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Eli's new leg warmers!!!

IMG_0041 by Rosa Mack, on Flickr

I think I'm going to have fun making some cute leg warmers for him!!

#346799 - 01/29/18 10:00 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shilohsmom
I think I'm going to have fun making some cute leg warmers for him!!

Just look at that great big smile on Eli - I think he approves of his new leg warmers. thumbup
Rosa, you are so creative, I know you will come up with some great ideas.

Edited by SeanRescueMom (01/29/18 10:00 PM)
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#346801 - 01/29/18 11:09 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, he really enjoyed wearing them. I took them off for the night but I'm really excited about the idea and how I can make them better.

#346809 - 01/31/18 11:41 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

The past few days I have been cutting back on the Galliprant. Unfortunately, its not worked at all!! Eli has been struggling more to get up and tends to poop when he does. So were back on the Galliprant.

#346813 - 02/01/18 08:47 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I hope putting Eli back on Galliprant does the trick and helps him, fingers crossed for both of you. crossedfingers
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#346828 - 02/02/18 08:21 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

It's taken a few days but thankfully we've got Eli's pain under control again with the Galliprant. Today he had an amazing walk, he so enjoyed it. I think he could have gone further but one block down and back is enough for any one time for now. It was so nice seeing him so happy.

We've been having temps in the 70's so not much use for his leg warmers right now, but I'm ready for when the temps cool. I'm going to make some with pockets that I can put heated rice packs in for when I give him his massage. I think the extra heat will feel really good for him.

#346829 - 02/02/18 08:28 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

OMG, Eli just jumped up on the sofa....yes he jumped!!!!!!!!!!! Both back legs jumped party I can't believe it!!!! He can walk up onto the sofa but I was watching him and he used both back legs to JUMP!!!!!!! I am so doing the happy dance!!!!!!!!! groovy

I've really increased his massages so maybe its really paying off. I'm just so happy. Even though he can walk onto the sofa he doesn't do it often anymore as he's just too uncertain, but this time he jumped right up there!!!!!

Edited by Shilohsmom (02/02/18 08:30 PM)

#346830 - 02/02/18 09:29 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They are amazing creatures-how lucky we are to share our lives with them.

Every single thing you do for Eli will be good for him-and enjoy it all.

MJ

#346831 - 02/02/18 09:50 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Mary Jane]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am so enjoying every moment with Eli. His spirit and love keeps pushing me to want to do more for him. I love him so much. I just can't believe what I saw. smile Both legs worked together without hesitation. I haven't seen that in ages.

#346833 - 02/03/18 09:26 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shilohsmom
OMG, Eli just jumped up on the sofa....yes he jumped!!!!!!!!!!! Both back legs jumped party I can't believe it!!!! He can walk up onto the sofa but I was watching him and he used both back legs to JUMP!!!!!!! I am so doing the happy dance!!!!!!!!! groovy

I'm doing the happy dance right along with you and the happy boogie too! happyboogie Eli is undoubtedly telling you how much he appreciates all your efforts and he's not giving up.
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#346881 - 02/06/18 07:16 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Eli is doing amazingly well and Mama is off with a new idea on how to help him more.

I'm thinking of making a custom type cart for him. The problem with carts on the market is that they support the back of the dog while letting the dog walk with their front legs. Well Eli can't do one of these because his front legs are likely worse than his back. So this got me thinking. What would help Eli more would be something that would support his body while allowing all legs to move as much as possible.

That's when I thought Eli really could use a full body support. Something that would take the weight off him while allowing him the freedom of walking. Your going to have to use a bit of your imagination to 'see' what I'm thinking but bare with me on this.

I'm thinking my sheet metal friend could use a piece of sheet metal to mold the bottom of Eli's body. The measurements would have to be exact and I would need to pad the top that would come in contact with his body. From that we could attach legs and wheels. We could make it so that I slip it under him and then somehow move a lever and lock it into place so that its snug against his body. The idea is again to take the weight off his legs and yet use his legs for walking.

What do you think??

#346882 - 02/06/18 08:15 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Also, my cart would have four wheels instead of the two to give him the stability he needs.

#346883 - 02/06/18 08:27 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
Before you put too much money in this, check out handicappedpets.com
The do have 4 wheel carts for four or front end support. And they have an excellent reputation.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/adjustable-dog-wheelchairs

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much

#346884 - 02/06/18 08:40 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: PositiveDog]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

I didn't know they made 4 wheel models. Let me go check them out!!!! Thanks Bonnie!!

#346955 - 02/14/18 06:56 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Just a quick update on Eli. For the most part he has been doing very well. The past three days have been hard. I've been staying up late watching the Olympics which causes me to sleep late in the morning. This has thrown off his meds/eating schedule and he's had a lot of accidents because of it. I'm really hoping to get up on time tomorrow and get him back on schedule.

Today he walked his longest walk in a long time. He was amazing happyboogie I'm just so proud of his every step groovy Later I took the pups for ice cream and he didn't have an accident in the car!!! Good news all the way around.

He's also been catching the ball and playing with his little brother, Kody.

So except for the pooping, I think he's doing great. Hopefully, by getting him back on schedule that will improve as well.

#346958 - 02/14/18 07:54 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Absolutely fabulous that big brother eli can play with the little (gorgeous) squirt baby brother.

Somehow, I think Ms Rosa, your home is a german shepherd dog wonderland.

have fun,

MJ

#346992 - 02/16/18 02:37 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Mary Jane]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

It is remarkable that Eli is able to play with his little brother Kody. Kody can be a real pesty little brother, at times getting right in Eli's face and mimicking him. Its funny, Eli will bark and Kody will bark back, Eli will whine and Kody whines back.

I think having Kody around has been good for Eli. Sure sometimes he's a pain in the behind to Eli but for the most part they have bonded so well.

And yes, our home is set up with the pups in mind. Like so many of your homes toys are everywhere, toy boxes are filled and in almost every room. We have board games and plenty of room to do doggie stuff. When they are happy then I am happy.

Another note, I've gotten Eli back on schedule with his meds. Since I'm hoping this thread might somehow help others, I've learned its critical to have him on a strick meds and feed schedule. Just being off an hour or two threw him into a tailspin.

#347022 - 02/18/18 11:50 AM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: Shilohsmom]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A couple of thoughts here -
On the cart idea - use a cloth sling to support the body - The sheet metal is just a problem in several respects - fit; - access as getting the dog in and out of it; - weight (you will need to move this thing around); - portability/storage - a metal sling is going to be more difficult to collapse.

On the play with Cujo thing (reflecting on Kody's reactivity) -- you might want to look more closely at their interactions and see how "Cujo" has begun to expect other dogs to act/react to him -- how he approaches Eli and Eli him.

#347025 - 02/18/18 07:55 PM Re: My dear sweet Eli [Re: middleofnowhere]
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Middle. I did look at the carts Bonnie referred me to and have bookmarked the site. Still not sure what I will do. I'd love to take some of the weight off his failing legs but putting it somewhere else might not help either. At this point, I just have to try to keep him as mobile as possible for as long as possible.

As far as how Kody (aka Cujo) interacts with Eli versus other dogs there really is no comparison. Kody and Eli make a lot of noise but its happy noise, nothing like how Kody reacts to other dogs. But thanks for thinking of that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Sweet Kody turns into Cujo
by Shilohsmom
02/16/18 03:01 PM
Kody has the squirts (Help needed)
by Shilohsmom
02/15/18 03:19 PM
Shelter puppy temperament test results
by Molly1993
02/14/18 12:10 PM
Kody Bear
by Shilohsmom
02/13/18 07:21 PM
Update on Heidi (hypothyroid issues)
by Karin
02/13/18 12:49 PM
Renji: Somehow still alive and sassy
by Diana
02/13/18 11:11 AM
We're Not Spoiled
by Woodreb
02/12/18 09:53 PM
Unhappy puppy influence
by Shilohsmom
02/12/18 06:18 PM
Water Consumption, not drinking enough
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
02/12/18 02:30 PM
traffic
by dano
02/11/18 06:43 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
just a quick update
by MaxaLisa
02/15/18 11:09 AM
Could use some healing thoughts
by Islandgsds
10/16/17 12:53 AM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Erin, ekreinbrink, tapinho, Chantalsyr, Molly1993, Thunder, Mayhem, jill023, RobPac, HONOROFLINUS
2883 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2883 Members
100 Forums
20386 Topics
325192 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts