German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#347016 - 02/17/18 06:17 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: middleofnowhere]
Shilohsmom Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Thanks Middle, I've actually thought of bring a squeaky ball but so far he's doing good with treats.

We met with a trainer this morning. It was very helpful for both of us. We had got there a little early and there were several classes going on. They all meet and work out in a huge parking area. Since I was early I parked my car on the far end quite a ways from the other dogs. I wanted to see if I could identify Kody's safe area (how far away he needed to be from other dogs before he got upset). For the most part he needed the distance of most of the parking lot eek We worked his safe zone for awhile but at one point someone walked their dog some 100 feet from us and Cujo started in.

We got back into the car and I drove down and parked where I was had been instructed to do so. At that point, we were close to the other dogs and Cujo went wicked.

But I met with the trainer and eventually brought Kody out. He thinks I need to be firmer with my response and stop saying he's a good boy the moment he corrects himself. I always thought it was important to reward right away when they do something right, but since this is all one action (an action we're not happy with-lunging,etc) I'm sort of rewarding him for the bad behavior. This training place is all into positive training but my timing has been off when it comes to this.

He gave me several tips and was very helpful. Next week Kody and I will be watching the Attitudes class (a class for pups with issues) and we will evaluate him more based on his response. He wants to watch Kody to see which class would be best for him. He isn't sure its the Attitudes class or the regular obedience class.

I feel good about this. I owe it to Kody to make sure this gets corrected. He's a great pup and I love him to pieces. Thank you all for your support.

Proud Mom to Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh and Shoshi
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

Top Likes: 0 
#347021 - 02/18/18 11:40 AM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: Shilohsmom]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Rosa,

" but so far he's doing good with treats " and continuing to act like Cujo??? Maybe you are not distracting quickly enough with the treat? It needs to be done before the Cujo response starts. Overall, I think your trainer sounds like a good fit for you and Kody. Keep us updated on this pup's journey.

#347026 - 02/18/18 08:07 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: middleofnowhere]
Pooh-Bah

Your right, the treats are doing nothing to distract him. Once he see's another dog he just goes wacko. He won't listen to me, won't take a treat, refuses eye contact. I'm so glad I decided to go with a trainer. I need to know how to fix this and I just don't have the experience. Thankfully, I've never had this problem before. Kody is a wonderful pup, but this is something we must work to fix. It's not going to happen overnight but I have faith in this little pup! I want to be able to take him everywhere with me and I just can't do that now. I also want him to be comfortable no matter where I take him.

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#347028 - 02/19/18 06:22 AM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: Shilohsmom]
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee
I agree, it looks like trainer is best fit, and you can learn a lot from watching a trainer work with dogs!

#347156 - 03/18/18 06:53 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: DarkEyes]
Pooh-Bah

Time for a quick update. I continue to work daily with Kody on his leash issues and I'm thrilled to say we are almost there. I worked with a trainer for awhile but a couple of weeks ago decided to go with my own method. We will be seeing the trainer this Saturday but I'm thinking that will be just to show off how well he's done and maybe get a referral to one of the classes. He had suggested a prong collar which I bought. He also was big on me showing I'm in control by a bit too much force for me. I tried his methods several times and felt they were close to abusive so I stopped. For any new dog owners that might be reading this its important when you find a trainer that you find one that your comfortable with. Don't ever let anyone do something to your dog that you don't agree with, I don't care what you've paid the trainer for.

I realize some dogs need a firmer hand but Kody's just a pup. That's when I decided every time we see another dog I'd make it like it was the greatest thing in the world. I was sooooo overboard on my excitement and in no time, Kody was excited too!!!! groovy Guess what? It worked!!!! Today I took him to Half Moon Bay (another coastal town), I got some coffee and we sat outside while I enjoyed that. All the time dogs were passing by and he did great!

I've been taking him out daily (even in the rain) and it's really paid off.

#347230 - 03/26/18 06:36 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: Shilohsmom]
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shilohsmom

I realize some dogs need a firmer hand but Kody's just a pup. That's when I decided every time we see another dog I'd make it like it was the greatest thing in the world. I was sooooo overboard on my excitement and in no time, Kody was excited too!!!! groovy Guess what? It worked!!!! Today I took him to Half Moon Bay (another coastal town), I got some coffee and we sat outside while I enjoyed that. All the time dogs were passing by and he did great!

It sounds like things are looking up! thumbup
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005

#347233 - 03/26/18 07:33 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: SeanRescueMom]
Pooh-Bah

We went to class on Saturday and Kody was amazing!!!!! They walked dogs all around him with no response from my boy party I am just so very pleased with my boy. It's taken a while but I'm so very happy I got this under control.

#347236 - 03/26/18 08:29 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: Shilohsmom]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Rosa, I am happy for you and Kody. But remember that this is a process that takes continual work to keep the reactivity in check.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#347237 - 03/26/18 09:08 PM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
Rosa, I am happy for you and Kody. But remember that this is a process that takes continual work to keep the reactivity in check.

Excellent advise. I'm going to continue to work with him daily and he has weekly classes that he goes to. He definitely has a much stronger drive than any of my past pups so any advise is appreciated.

#347277 - 03/30/18 11:49 AM Re: Sweet Kody turns into Cujo [Re: Shilohsmom]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Shilohsmom
We went to class on Saturday and Kody was amazing!!!!! They walked dogs all around him with no response from my boy party I am just so very pleased with my boy. It's taken a while but I'm so very happy I got this under control.

Just to follow-up with what Val said, this is a continual thing. Dogs don't generalize well, so what kody can do belongs just to those dogs in that particular pattern, with that particular trainer.

To really get it under control, he'll have to be exposed to different environments and different dogs very slowly and it's important he be kept under the threshold in each case, since any over the threshold response will set you back a bit. It's a process and will take awhile before the desired behavious are cemented and reliable in different situations.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Canít Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
01/21/13 10:27 AM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 56 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
tajinder, Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice
2900 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2900 Members
100 Forums
20458 Topics
326098 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts