German Shepherd Home
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12525 - 03/01/10 06:31 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: GSDTrain]
Skywalkerlady Offline

I prefer to have them asleep first. My vets inserted an IV catheter first. I am not sure whether the collapsing of the veins is a problem after the catheter is already in. I want to see them leave as comfortably as possible. Even though they probably don't feel the thrashing around, there is no way for me to know it for sure. They cannot say it if it hurts them and I feel that it is my responsibility to make the last moment as easy for them as possible. I have heard of dogs fighting it, and people said it was terrible and the dogs did feel it. I think there must be a reason that they sedate people for the lethal injection as well. My dogs were always sedated and left easily. We said our farewells long before and at the vet everything was about their comfort. One cat did not go well. the cat got the urge to vomit during the pre-sedation and it was obvious that he was very uncomfortable. It was an IM injection, not IV. I have not seen this happen with IV.

Top Likes: 0 
#12778 - 03/02/10 10:35 AM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: Skywalkerlady]
Skywalkerlady Offline

I was thinking about this. The sight of my dog thrashing around while being euthanized would haunt me forever.

#13128 - 03/02/10 08:22 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: Skywalkerlady]
3K9Mom Offline
Addict

My vets' policy is to sedate and even pre-sedate if the owner wants. The sedation is an injection, and as I noted earlier, I gave my dog an Acepromazine (in a wad of brownies laugh ) before the vet showed up.

That's how strongly my vets feel about sedation. I guess it depends on what you want. But even at the ER where one of my dogs was euthanized after she collapsed due to CHF, they sedated first. If they weren't inclined to, I would have insisted on it.

If nothing else, I think this thread should make every owner discuss this topic AT LENGTH with your vet. Then, be sure that it's charted in your pets' charts. AND wherever you keep all of your pets' medical records (and emergency info, like whom to call in an emergency), write down exactly what you want. When you walk into an emergency room, you should bring that information (every time). Things can happen very quickly in an emergency clinic and sometimes, decisions get made while you're stunned and in a fog. If you have information written down, you can hand the piece of paper to the vet.

(Along these sorts of lines, the DVD, 911! - BE PREPARED! EMERGENCIES AND THE EMERGENCY ROOM http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DN306 discusses a lot of the issues that dog owners don't even realize can arise until they're in the emergency clinic and their brains are flooded with information faster than they can absorb them. I think this DVD is worth watching a couple times so that you can think through what your plans would be under different scenarios and WRITING THEM DOWN. Highly recommended.)

Ok. Sorry for the threadjack. Back to the topic at hand.

#13140 - 03/02/10 08:38 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: Skywalkerlady]
Shilohsmom Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Skywalkerlady
I was thinking about this. The sight of my dog thrashing around while being euthanized would haunt me forever.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately my good friend Anne will remember our beloved Ebony this way and its just not right! People need to be aware of their options. In my opinion there is just no reason whatsoever to take this chance.

Proud Mom to Shoshi, Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#13142 - 03/02/10 08:39 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: 3K9Mom]
Shilohsmom Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom
My vets' policy is to sedate and even pre-sedate if the owner wants. The sedation is an injection, and as I noted earlier, I gave my dog an Acepromazine (in a wad of brownies laugh ) before the vet showed up.

That's how strongly my vets feel about sedation. I guess it depends on what you want. But even at the ER where one of my dogs was euthanized after she collapsed due to CHF, they sedated first. If they weren't inclined to, I would have insisted on it.

If nothing else, I think this thread should make every owner discuss this topic AT LENGTH with your vet. Then, be sure that it's charted in your pets' charts. AND wherever you keep all of your pets' medical records (and emergency info, like whom to call in an emergency), write down exactly what you want. When you walk into an emergency room, you should bring that information (every time). Things can happen very quickly in an emergency clinic and sometimes, decisions get made while you're stunned and in a fog. If you have information written down, you can hand the piece of paper to the vet.

(Along these sorts of lines, the DVD, 911! - BE PREPARED! EMERGENCIES AND THE EMERGENCY ROOM http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DN306 discusses a lot of the issues that dog owners don't even realize can arise until they're in the emergency clinic and their brains are flooded with information faster than they can absorb them. I think this DVD is worth watching a couple times so that you can think through what your plans would be under different scenarios and WRITING THEM DOWN. Highly recommended.)

Ok. Sorry for the threadjack. Back to the topic at hand.

Have you sceen that Video? You'd recommend it?

Proud Mom to Shoshi, Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#13230 - 03/02/10 10:33 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: Shilohsmom]
DenaliFofali Offline

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Wow, I'm trying to read this thread and inform myself for the future. I'm crying just thinking about it. For those that have been through this... You are incredibly brave and strong.

#14142 - 03/04/10 05:20 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: DenaliFofali]
doubletrouble Offline

Loc: Arizona
Unfortunately, our first dog was the victim of a botched euthansia. Our regular vet wasn't there that day and the vet that was there was someone we hadn't seen before. She wasn't a new vet, just new to the practice. Due to unusual circumstances, we chose not to wait the few days until our regular vet returned (big mistake).

I had never had to put a dog down but I was with a friend when her dog was PTS so I thought I knew what to expect. I still don't know exactly what the vet did wrong - only that as I was holding him, she inserted the needle several times then started apologizing and suddenly there was blood squirting all over the walls and me and the vet tech I knew pretty well came running in and meanwhile I'm sobbing and holding on to Cody who wasn't struggling but I'll never forget him looking at me -it was just horrible!! I honestly don't remember all that was said and done after that -but I do remember being told that unfortunately that can happen and I was too upset to argue, I just wanted him to be at peace. She left the practice soon after - I didn't go back until she did.

When Belle went to the bridge, it was quick and peaceful and it was at the hands of a vet who knew what she was doing. The only pain was ours at losing her.

#14657 - 03/05/10 12:56 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: doubletrouble]
Mary Jane Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

I don't want to start a controversy, but when we put our standard Schnauzer to sleep a few years ago, with sedation prior to the lethal injection, all I could think is what a peaceful way to leave this earth. Because I have had many older relatives die after long illnesses, I really thought that the procedure at the vet's office was infinitely more humane than what many people suffer through. Paige was literally surrounded by family and the last thing she saw before relaxing into sleep was her favorite person looking into her eyes.

Mary Jane

#14785 - 03/05/10 04:17 PM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: Mary Jane]
elginhaus Offline

Loc: TX
I agree Mary Jane, absolutely. Sometimes there is no humane human alternatives to suffering.

#15130 - 03/06/10 02:57 AM Re: Sedation prior to Euthansia [Re: doubletrouble]
bjdimock Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: doubletrouble
Unfortunately, our first dog was the victim of a botched euthansia. Our regular vet wasn't there that day and the vet that was there was someone we hadn't seen before. She wasn't a new vet, just new to the practice. Due to unusual circumstances, we chose not to wait the few days until our regular vet returned (big mistake).

I had never had to put a dog down but I was with a friend when her dog was PTS so I thought I knew what to expect. I still don't know exactly what the vet did wrong - only that as I was holding him, she inserted the needle several times then started apologizing and suddenly there was blood squirting all over the walls and me and the vet tech I knew pretty well came running in and meanwhile I'm sobbing and holding on to Cody who wasn't struggling but I'll never forget him looking at me -it was just horrible!! I honestly don't remember all that was said and done after that -but I do remember being told that unfortunately that can happen and I was too upset to argue, I just wanted him to be at peace. She left the practice soon after - I didn't go back until she did.

When Belle went to the bridge, it was quick and peaceful and it was at the hands of a vet who knew what she was doing. The only pain was ours at losing her.

OK, stop it with the blame game........
Everyone is willing to slam vets for "Botched" euthanasia's.
Why do you think that human doctors won't even broach that field????
They don't want to touch that with a 10 foot pole.
They aren't getting involved in our views of acceptable euthanasia for pets versus acceptable euthanasia of humans.
I bet if euthanasia was readily available to humans, then,you would find that people also don't always die peacefully, sedate or not.
Sometimes they would just slip away... sometimes, their nerves would react, and sometimes, their central nervous system would kick in, and even though they were long gone, their body would gasp for 20 minutes. ( Want to go there with me??)
As for the vets who can't find the veins....
It is much harder to hit a vein on a down, sick animal than it is on an active one.
Perhaps the vet you had try to do it was young, and realized that she couldn't do this part of the job. Forgive her.
The many tears I have cried with my clients only strengthen my bond with them, and help them to know that someone else feels the passing.
My best friend, and boss, couldn't hit the vein on my girl, and she too, looked into my eyes while that was happening and you know what I saw? (I heard I'm sorry too)
My pain ridden girl, trying to figure out who I was, and trying to trust me, because she never moved once.
I remember my heart leaving before she did, because I couldn't show her that I would let her down.
I remember her screaming once the injection was in, and knowing that she didn't know that she was doing it.
I remember the kicks, and Wendy telling me she was holding on to the end...
And then I remember only peace, when Katchia just let go, and loved me one last time.
She loved me until the end, and in the end, I got to see her one last time.
I wouldn't trade that moment ever.
If that is what comes with my decision over my pack, then I'm there till the end, no matter what it brings.
What right do I have to let that moment pass???
7 cool cats!
3 beloved equines
and of course Mr. Frodo

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Excavation
by Woodreb
07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Buddy 04/07/2000 to 11/24/2017
by PositiveDog
12/02/17 08:37 PM
Santa may giving early Christmas Present to us.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
11/30/17 09:47 AM
How to keep my GSD Maximus calm at K9 class
by Kimbe's 3
11/29/17 02:00 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Resurrected :)
by SouthernThistle
11/08/17 10:34 AM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3, ElsaMae
2863 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2863 Members
100 Forums
20327 Topics
324468 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts