German Shepherd Home
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78736 - 08/30/10 10:30 AM Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog
Chris Wild Offline
Administrator... and Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Loc: Michigan, USA
Ok, I'm upset, dumbfounded (and extremely POed) and thought some of the health gurus here might be able to shed some light.

Last Thurs I got a call from the owner of a dog from our A litter (DOB Jan 2002), down in Florida, saying he had suddenly had 4 seizures the night before and asking what to do. My response GO TO THE VET! According to what she said they were "massive seizures" but honestly knowing this person her version of "massive" could in actuality be pretty minor as far as seizures go. He had never experienced seizures before in his life, so this was completely new and out of the blue.

She called back that evening to tell me that she'd been to the vet, they ran a complete blood panel and everything came back fine, and told her that she would need x-rays, MRI and other testing to find out what was causing the seizures. She opted out of the testing, so the vet sent her home with phenobarbatol and prednisone to give the dog. He was acting fine the rest of Thursday, all day Friday, and through to Saturday morning.

Saturday morning she called me to tell me he suddenly wouldn't get up, seemed very lethargic, perhaps paralyzed and what should she do. Again my response was to GO TO THE VET. (Yes, again, she called me 1200 miles away before going to the vet.) I assumed that is what she'd do.. who wouldn't?!?!? I called back early afternoon when our SchH club finished training, so about 3-4 hours later, to see what was going on and was told he'd just died. At home. They never took him to the vet.

I am beyond angry. But also very curious to know what happened and as there was no necropsy done because she couldn't bear to have him cut up we won't be getting any answers that way. So I'm curious what theories folks might have as to what caused this.

Top Likes: 0 
#78742 - 08/30/10 10:34 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: Chris Wild]
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow. I'm so sorry for your loss, Chris.

Is a stroke a possibility? Something like that wouldn't show up in bloodwork, right? Possibly some sort of hemorrhage?

#78747 - 08/30/10 10:39 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: LifeAsMe]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Oh wow Chris I am so sorry. I too would be heartsick adn a bit angry. I have no ideas other than stroke or perhaps a virus of some kind.

I would have wanted to know why if it had been my dog.

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#78752 - 08/30/10 10:47 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: Chris Wild]
Qyn Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Epilepsy induced by a poison, toxin, tetanus, chocolate or other food, snake bite, etc of a kind that is not routinely tested for in the blood panel; brain tumour or injury, heat stroke, dehydration. Without a necropsy there are only guesses. I am also pissed off on your behalf as well as for the dog.

Sorry for your loss. imsorry

Quynne gsdhalo - Black Female GSD - Sept 29, 2004 - 11 Nov 2013 Deeply missed

If you don't agree with me ... you are just not listening well enough. smile

#78753 - 08/30/10 10:49 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: Kayos]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo
Chris,

I am very sorry for your loss. And sorry for these insensitive people who called you before taking him to the vet. frown

Oddly enough I was having dinner with some people last night who were telling me about what happened to their previous dog and it sounds almost exactly like what happened to your dog. They were told that it was from exposure to pesticides. Several yards in their immediate area had just been sprayed with Chemlawn. He had never had seizures before and apparently his symptoms matched. I have heard of several other dogs who have suffered seizures because of lawn pesticides and if you google it you'll see stories and articles about it.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#78755 - 08/30/10 10:50 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: Kayos]
dano Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Sorry Chris...
truly.

But anger will do no one any good, so try and let it go. Maybe the heat over the long haul was a factor, maybe not. Florida is bug spray crazytown, too. While 8.5 is not geriatric, it is a better run than many get, and while we can't know all we'd like to, one thing for sure is pain is no longer an issue, and once seizures occur, things often go downhill quick, and if not then the quality is often way diminished if not absent.

dOghaus

#78756 - 08/30/10 11:03 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: dano]
Crooked Creek Offline
Veteran

Loc: Southeast Missouri
So sorry and as a breeder I understand how you feel. I as well get called from clients about health emergencies. I almost always call my vet and get a 3 way . My vets are so great! I truly HATE those calls when I find out a puppy/dog has died. So sorry.

As to cause. WE had a 10 year have "seizures" for a few days and later in the week she died. She had always had a heart murmur and it was determined she had suffered mini strokes during these "seizures" and she appeared paralyzed as well. So maybe it was heart related. We did take our dog to the vet but there was really nothing they could do anyway unfortunately:( She was our heart dog:(
Lana, Peter, Maia,
Anna & Ash vom Meisterdes Unfalles
Vaughns Analiya Sky

Tasha, Blackjack, Kira RIP
Mena, Nikita, Sally, Rika retired/rehomed

Ziggy, RIP
Isabelle new kitty

#78757 - 08/30/10 11:06 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: dano]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Chris I was thinking Toxins also. There is a Dr. who has a company spray their lawn, one day I was heading that direction and I could smell the spray the equivalent to 2 blocks from where they were spraying. I have farm fields all around me, when they are spraying the fields I always make sure the dogs are inside. The fine mist that they use can travel with a breeze.

I am sorry for your pain and frustration.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#78761 - 08/30/10 11:12 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
Lexi Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't have any ideas, but that is just sad. frown So sorry this happened to one of your dogs. I am with you though; I would have erred on the side of caution and gotten the dog to the e-vet ASAP.

I don't understand the mentality of calling your breeder first when it's a health emergency. Maybe for a 2nd opinion and to notify them, but I would definitely be calling the vet's emergency exchange number first. But I am lucky to have access to 24 hr. care here, maybe she didn't.

#78764 - 08/30/10 11:17 AM Re: Sudden seizures, paralysis, death in 8.5yo dog [Re: Crooked Creek]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
my dog titan was 6.5 when he all of a sudden started tilting his head a little too often, then at all times. took him to the vet thinking there was a foxtail or something in his ear. after a week of ear treatment-not a change- then he started leaning his whole body to that "tilted" side. bloodwork showed notheing the vet said it was "old dog syndrome " and he woudl come out of it in 14 days after 14 days he started having seizures and became paralyzed he lasted 4 ;more days, we put him down 20 days after the first "tilty"head episode. we did not do a necropsy, but we all pretty mcuh agreed that it was a fast growing brain tumer..

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Chico's time
by Leslie&Chico
05/24/18 10:35 AM
Traveling to Europe ( crate size)
by Deschka
05/22/18 05:06 PM
Steriods
by Shilohsmom
05/20/18 08:15 PM
IPO training laugh
by middleofnowhere
05/19/18 10:41 PM
Loose pooh everywhere
by Islandgsds
05/15/18 09:06 PM
brushing "aggainst hair growth"
by isosa
05/15/18 03:04 AM
Senior Dogs and Exercise
by weplaytowin
05/10/18 01:12 AM
Owner rehoming hi drive male EPI Ky
by Tarheel
05/09/18 07:45 AM
DNA is in. Guess Bennie's breeds
by PositiveDog
05/06/18 09:56 AM
Good dog! I think?
by DarkEyes
05/04/18 01:32 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The Royal Wedding
by Shilohsmom
05/18/18 08:31 PM
Happy Mothers Day!!!
by Shilohsmom
05/13/18 10:31 AM
Looking for Mary Jane
by Shilohsmom
04/30/18 05:48 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice, Gabi GIrl, NGA_Remington, Tyga, BeckyLaupp, Murphy
2895 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2895 Members
100 Forums
20445 Topics
325918 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts