German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14297 - 03/04/10 08:22 PM Re: Before and After of feeding raw ***** [Re: wonderdog]
Jane Jean Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southwest, MI
I don't have before/after pics, but I know from seeing and feeling the coats of other GSD's, a major difference!
My dogs hardly shed and they are silky soft.
I believe they are more toned too, but that is more to do with activity levels when I compare the other non rawfed GSD's.
Teeth are much whiter/shinier and they have no odor, bad breath or otherwise!
SweetClover3.17.94~11.24.08 Kacie 7.21.2005-5.01.2015

Top Likes: 0 
#18849 - 03/13/10 11:27 AM Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: SouthernThistle]
Lauri & the Gang Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SE WI
(Posting for Patti)

Grimm stopped developing at age 8 - 10 months. He stayed "stuck" physically and emotionally at that age-- for an entire YEAR. Something, I knew, was very wrong.

He was on Orijen 6 Fresh Fish, a premium grain-free kibble. Yet, he had very sparse, short, pale, poor coat, a thin weak frame, little muscle at all, off and on chronic diarrhea (pancreas, stool samples, bloodwork all normal)-- and at 18 months, he still looked like an 8 - 10 month old... he looked like Bambi.

I knew that somehow, he was not absorbing nutrients. His vet discussed malabsorption syndomes, and felt this was not the issue, with such good bloodwork results. I'd been hashing around starting a raw diet, after much research-- and the vet urged me to try that.

I started feeding Grimm raw meals-- with much support from everyone here. \:\)

I saw results almost immediately. Grimm suddenly began acting calmer.. more settled, less frenzied. He could concentrate more when we played a training game.

But the shockers were physical. His coat fell out, nearly all of it. In it's place was a thick, soft, glossy pelt of deeply pigmented real GSD fur... instead of the sparse, prickly, brittle, pale hairs he always had.

He developed thick heavy slabs of muscles. His flat butt became rounded and firm, his forearms muscled, his shoulders fuller, his chest much less pinched, under a thick coating of firm muscle.

Tartar disappeared from his teeth.

His head got wider suddenly.. and wider.

All these changes happened in a short time after beginning the raw. Here are pics of Grimm after just 3 months on raw.

(And yes-- this is the same dog!)

If his body was not getting enough nutrients on premium grain-free kibble for all those months to develop properly.. what was happening with his brain? Grimm has always acted many months younger than he is. I am eager to see if his maturity level developes along with his body now.

Thanks for looking. Amazing what a raw diet can mean for a dog needing those nutrients! What do you think?

From this..

..to this, in just under 3 months?

Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Sasha - GSD mix
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested

#18867 - 03/13/10 12:15 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: Lauri & the Gang]
Braverhund Online   partay
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Massachusetts
Thank you so VERY much for posting this, Lauri! The positive changes on a raw diet were truly dramatic and incredible. I have you to thank for your guidance! Without you, I would not have begun raw with Grimm. I had no idea how easy and inexpensive it is! And the results are AMAZING! party Thank you Lauri for your kindhearted mentorship, hugging and for posting this for others to see!

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz

#26546 - 03/31/10 05:34 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: Braverhund]
SouthernThistle Offline
Addict

Loc: Georgia
And, in turn, without Patti.....we would still be reading about raw instead of feeding raw! I love the looks we get if have to go to the grocery store on the fly to get meat and tell the cashier it's for our dogs laugh
Grimm (GSD)(gone but not forgotten)

#39120 - 05/06/10 04:40 AM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: SouthernThistle]
mjbgsd Offline
Pooh-Bah

Holy crap Patti that is amazing!! He looks great!

Cody RIP 2003-2012

#98772 - 10/27/10 09:55 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: mjbgsd]
Kirchnel Offline

Loc: northern NJ
I just got our Gsd Odessa in august at 13 months. She had been fed kibble but we immediaately tranitioned her over to raw. She was flown to us so we had a few weeks of decreased appetite. When we got her she had just finished her first heat and had blown her coat. Then we had her spayed and finally she seemed settled in and happy. During this period her coat seemed to improve with very little shedding. We live in the northeast and in September shedding began BUT also change in texture of coat along with massive shedding and dryness. We supplement salmon oil but looking at her coat now wondering about whether the befits of raw are? Her weight and muscle tone good anyone have any ideas? Comments

#98787 - 10/27/10 10:17 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: Kirchnel]
Jane Jean Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Southwest, MI
What are you feeding her, and how much are you supplementing? If the meals aren't balanced then feeding raw can be detrimental to the health and coat. She did just go thru a stress, betweeen the home transition, heat cycle, and spay...thats a big deal in a short time.
SweetClover3.17.94~11.24.08 Kacie 7.21.2005-5.01.2015

#98796 - 10/27/10 10:32 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: Jane Jean]
GrandJan Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE PA
Do you have any pictures to show us? What is her weight and what (and how much) are you feeding her? What supplements are you giving her? As Jane said, she has been through a lot lately, and this surely will have some short-term effect on her overall appearance.

Beau & Chance - German/Anatolian Shepherds
Bailey - Labrador Granddog

#98806 - 10/27/10 10:57 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: GrandJan]
Kirchnel Offline

Loc: northern NJ
Glad I found this forum! I know she has gone thru a lot and this is our first time when we got a dog from far away and an older puppy.
We are feeding frozen raw beef, lamb chicken and turkey. It is mixed with bone and some vegetables. We are supplementing with salmon oil and I just (today) started adding vit E to make sure she is absorbing. She is about 65 lbs and on the taller side of standard. Just making it the breeder who raised her said she was about 67 prior to heat. At time of spay she was 60. She has since put her weight back.
I am sending this from my iPad which I don't have pictures on. When I get to my computer I can post if I can figure out how. But not recent. They are of her in full coat when she was with breeder. I can try and get some in the next day or so if it stops raining. We are feeding 2 lbs a day.

#98818 - 10/27/10 11:15 PM Re: Grimm - Before and After raw diet change [Re: Kirchnel]
GrandJan Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE PA
If you could give us the ratio of meat to bones, that would be helpful too. Glad to hear you added the Vit. E. What amounts of fish oil and E are you giving her?

Beau & Chance - German/Anatolian Shepherds
Bailey - Labrador Granddog

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324502 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts