German Shepherd Home
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10089 - 02/25/10 08:20 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Doggonefool]
Shilohsmom Offline
Veteran

Here's what happened to me when Shoshi bloated March 25, 2009.

At 10:50pm I was awaken by Shoshi moving around the bed. She clearly couldn't get comfortable. I thought she might not be feeling good so I decided I would stay up and be with her.

Once up I let everyone outside to go potty but Shoshi didn't return. After a few moments I went outside to find her standing in the bushes. Odd. I coaxed her inside with me where I watched as she again tried unsuccessfully to get comfortable. I kept checking her gums, her heart rate-all normal. I thought it had to be just a tummy ache but in the back of my mind I was thinking Bloat. All I knew for sure was that something was wrong with my baby.

In the wee hours of the night I again let them outside and again she did not return. I remember going out there and finding her lying on the ground. I sat there on the dirt with her watching the stars as I explained how I understood how yucky it was to feel sick. Then we returned inside.

More time passed and still nothing. The gums were fine, the heart rate was fine, her breathing was fine.

Around 4am she had somehow gotten out of my site and into the bedroom where I thought I heard her vomit. I rushed in to find nothing. At that point I could not let her out of my sight.

At 5:20 am it happened. She attempted to vomit and nothing came out. All of the sudden her tummy swelled to twice the size and I knew she had Bloated. I knew my Vets office usually opened early about 6:30 even though their hours were stated to open at 7am. I quickly weighed the difference between waiting and taking her there or getting her to the E Vet which was much further away. The time difference was about 40mins in the worst case senario so I decided to wait for our Vets.

As soon as I saw the Vet Tech approaching the building I screamed at him that I needed help, that my baby had bloated. Poor guy, said 'bloat?' and I yelled, Yes Bloat, do you know what Bloat is????' I was all ready to educate this young man in less than three seconds, but he knew and opened the door for us.

He got the critical information needed from me and was right on the phone with the Vets who then arrived within min's. Shoshi was then rushed in for X-rays and one Vet came out and explained what might happen (ie,tube in her, if surgery needed they will tack the stomach, just the important stuff). Then the door opened and it was confirmed it was Bloat with Torsion. I was led back to see the x-ray and she was already being preped for surgery. The important thing I later learned is that they had the cath is right away. I guess this is am important step as some Vets wait to long and then its too late.

My little hero made it through surgery...I will never forgot this....just seeing her when I walked back to see her. She sat there wobbling back and fouth with the iv in her arm.

Of course, there was that three day critial period afterwards but we got lucky. My little girl is still with me and the pride and joy of my life.

They say dogs can't talk...well, they can't talk with words but they speak volumes with their eyes. I told her as long as she spoke to me with her eyes that I would continue to listen with my heart and we will always communicate just fine.

Proud Mom to Shoshi, Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

Top Likes: 0 
#10683 - 02/26/10 03:04 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Shilohsmom]
Buoyant Dog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northern California, USA
Wow.

Gloria Beatrice vom Animal Shelter, BGSD b. 2/07, rescued 2/09

http://buoyantdog.blogspot.com
http://yellowpeak.blogspot.com

#18071 - 03/11/10 06:00 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Buoyant Dog]
lorio Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Ok - so here is my story...

My worst nightmare became a reality on January 29, 2010 when my 6 yr old male white gsd, Kaspar, bloated. I have known about bloat since I got him as he was my first GSD (and first dog) ever so I did lots of research about the breed. I have tried to read up on it often to see new developments or theories. I was doing the things I had read to do…never fed hour before/after exercise; no gulping water; no raised bowls, etc.

It happened on a Friday. This is significant to Kaspars case as that is garbage day and he is totally freaked out by garbage trucks and other loud trucks/buses. He gets so scared that he shakes and his teeth chatter. They say that stress can sometimes bring on bloat in high anxiety dogs (which he is).

So meals were no different than every other day. He eats around 7am and 7pm every day. That night, about 2 hours after his meal, he started dry heaving. That put me into alert mode. When it happened several times, I got dressed – just in case. He wanted to go outside, but all he did was eat grass and try to continue throwing up. I took him back inside. He had actually done this once before a few months ago and I got him in the bedroom on the bed and he settled down and things got better. This time it didn’t. He stood there in the den in a hunched over position and that is when I popped 2 gas-x down him and got in the car and drove him to the e-vet. I had been constantly looking at his stomach and feeling it and couldn’t feel anything major. I did feel something that I later learned was his spleen. They immediately took him back and did xrays and stated his stomach and spleen were swollen and there was lots of air (not as bad though as the basset hound that came in 10 mins before him). He had to rush into surgery for the basset hound but strongly suggested surgery instead of just tubing, so I told him to go ahead. Once he got in, his spleen had torsed, but not his stomach. He finally had to remove the spleen. He tacked his stomach at that time.

All dogs now get a nice little green surprise in each meal. No waiting anymore – Gas-X is used daily!

Worst night of my life!

Kaspar-9 yr WGSD
Nixie-7 Qyr GSD
Ayden-7 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)

#18102 - 03/11/10 07:20 PM Re: Bloat [Re: lorio]
Shilohsmom Offline
Veteran

Lori, my heart goes out to you as I read your story. I know how hard it is reliving the worst nights of our lives, but hopefully our stories will help others.

Proud Mom to Shoshi, Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!

#18128 - 03/11/10 08:19 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Shilohsmom]
lorio Offline

Loc: North Carolina
That's what I hope Rosa. Each time we tell our stories, someone may learn something new that will help them if they have to experience it. I know I have learned SO much from reading about others and their experience with bloat. In fact, it helped me know the signs and symptoms and probably helped me to save his life.

Kaspar-9 yr WGSD
Nixie-7 Qyr GSD
Ayden-7 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)

#18137 - 03/11/10 08:34 PM Re: Bloat [Re: lorio]
Buoyant Dog Offline
Enthusiast

I was wondering if one could use Gas-X on a daily basis as a bloat preventive. I know some humans do. Thanks for sharing your story, lorio.

#18141 - 03/11/10 08:37 PM Re: Bloat [Re: lorio]
Buoyant Dog Offline
Enthusiast

I was wondering if one could use Gas-X on a daily basis as a bloat preventive. I know some humans do. Thanks for sharing your story, lorio.

#18227 - 03/11/10 11:42 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Buoyant Dog]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
For some weird reason, Gas-X made Max's stool loose???? I ended up adding more magnesium to his (homeprepared) diet, which helped.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#49200 - 06/03/10 12:24 PM Re: Bloat [Re: MaxaLisa]
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Eastern Oregon
every time I read about bloat, I remember why I live where I do. My vet is less than ten minutes away and my e vet is 10 minutes the other direction. Stops any thought of moving because this is so very important to have.

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.

#79724 - 09/01/10 11:44 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Zisso]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Symithicone (sp AKA Gas X) can cause mucus in the stools, if used on a regular basis should be used with caution because it pulls mucus out of the intestinal wall. (what a vet told me & what I experienced -- equals loose or runny stools). If you want to keep it around for occassional use, that's fine. You can use a generic which is a lot cheaper and does the same job.

Barker the Elder had an incident of bloat which resulted in the removal of her spleen and tacking her stomach. She just acted like she needed to vomit - and she was producing frothy bile so she was producing something. The vomit was so sticky that it had huge bubbles in it and when picked up was almost rubbery. I did not notice her stomach distending until I started to guide her outside. One feel of that gut & I was on the phone.

I ran one stop light is all and handed the vet my credit card. And I kept handing it to him. Fix my dog. "but she's old, she has this funky going on & it's going to cost X more and she might not make it anyway" Fix my dog. She lived six or seven years more.

Be prepared. They have to stabilize your dog first before they operate. They will ask for an initial amount. Then they will ask again for more if you want to proceed. E-vets get stiffed if they don't get the money up front - that's why they ask.

Not every swollen abdomen is bloat. Hemangio sarcoma presents with a distended abdomen, too.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Home Cooking for the Pancreatic Pooch?
by Kamahi
12/13/17 04:00 PM
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/12/17 07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
12/12/17 02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
12/12/17 09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20333 Topics
324504 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts