German Shepherd Home
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#268801 - 01/22/13 12:38 PM Re: Bloat [Re: 3K9Mom]
Krissy Offline

Loc: New York
Is there a proven way to avoid it? Our puppy plays ALL THE TIME!!! And due to our schedules, it's so hard to not feed him until x amount of time before and x amount of time after playing. Especially since he's a puppy!!! And he drinks water like crazy while running around. Would water effect it? Now im nervous and should start reading.... frown

Top Likes: 0 
#268826 - 01/22/13 03:12 PM Re: Bloat [Re: Krissy]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: Krissy
Is there a proven way to avoid it? Our puppy plays ALL THE TIME!!! And due to our schedules, it's so hard to not feed him until x amount of time before and x amount of time after playing. Especially since he's a puppy!!! And he drinks water like crazy while running around. Would water effect it? Now im nervous and should start reading.... frown

No, no proven way frown Max's trigger was drinking a ton of water before practicing recalls (I didn't realize he had gulped a bunch at the time), but many dogs seem to have no trigger frown Best thing we can do is take precautions, reduce stress, more non-commercial food, and have gas-x to give on the way to ER, or any time we suspect something might be going on.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#268915 - 01/23/13 02:42 AM Re: Bloat [Re: MaxaLisa]
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Queensland. Australia
Would it be possible to crate him after he has eaten?
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.

#312521 - 04/03/14 10:30 AM Re: Bloat [Re: bianca]
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I think this is a great example of probable stress induced bloat (That is MY assumption, this dog is at the vet after being shot in the line of duty so we know it can't be exercise related!)

Yorba Regional Animal Hospital
8 hours ago
Quote:
Wednesday PM Bruno Update
Steven Dunbar DVM - Yorba Regional Animal Hospital
Bruno is stable today after bloat surgery late yesterday. Last night Bruno started retching and showing signs of distress. Since he is in our hospital under close observation, these symptoms were noted early and he was diagnosed with early stage stomach bloating and torsion.

This is a serious life threatening condition that is caused by the stomach filling with air then turning over on itself. This turning or vulvulous of the stomach results in cutting off of the circulation to the stomach. As the stomach looses circulation tissue starts to die, toxins from the cells and bacteria invade into the body and causes rapid decline in health and if not corrected results in death, sometimes in a matter of hours.

Fortunately Bruno's signs were noticed early and the emergency veterinarian on staff diagnosed the condition and Dr Fahie rushed to the hospital to perform emergency surgery. Dr Fahie was able to correct the condition but it turned out to be a close call. He is on a constant heart monitor (ekg) watching for arrhythmias caused by this condition and he is back on IV fluids and nasal oxygen. His handler RJ was there at the hospital in support of his canine partner during the surgery.

Bruno is in good condition today. He is walking around his cage, alert and loving all the attention. Anytime after this kind of surgery, the prognosis is guarded and with each day his prognosis will improve. The first few days are the most serious.
Bruno is a champ to have lived through 2 such life threatening episodes and bounce back with determination.

Keep up the Bruno vigil, he still has a long way to go and potentially more surgeries.

A comment to all those large breed dog owners out there - Gastric bloat and torsion is a serious problem. There is a preventative surgery that can be performed where we tack the stomach to the inside of the belly wall. This prevents the stomach from turning. At Yorba we perform this surgery with a endoscope through a small incision. The dogs go home the same day with minimal discomfort (less then a spay or neuter surgery) and are usually eating by evening. We offer this surgery at a reduced cost to encourage prevention to pet owners of breeds at risk. This weekend I will post some more information on our website about breeds at risk and pictures of the surgery for those of you that are interested. Go to Yorbaregionalvets.com

https://www.facebook.com/YorbaRegionalAnimalHospital

https://www.facebook.com/AnaheimK9friends

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/

#339002 - 02/12/16 03:56 PM Re: Bloat [Re: 3K9Mom]
Beverly Offline

Loc: Ramsgate, Kent
I lost Kaz (9) and Zak (11) through twisted gut (bloat) and through these losses helped to save the life of
Troy (7) through Recognising the symptoms for the third time and taking action quickly.

The symptoms I believe are: Your dog will START TO PANT HEAVILY and then BECOME EXTREMELY AGITATED. It will THEN TRY TO BE SICK REGULARY , HOWEVER, THE SICK WILL NOT BE YELLOW IT WILL BE WHITE, STICKY BILE, WITH NO FOOD CONTENT TO IT.
Put your hand into this bile and feel it and IF IT IS VERY SLIMEY AND STICKY AND ALSO EXTREMELY WHITE WITH LOTS OF AIR BUBBLES - THEN GET YOUR DOG TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY AT THIS STAGE AS TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE.

If no action is taken at this stage and your Dog does have bloat it will pant almost continuously and will not be able to lie down for long Periods of time, because it will be too uncomfortable. It's stomach will also start to balloon out. When this happens it has become very serious and your dogs chance of survival will be slim.

The Vet can put a Stefascope to your Dogs stomach and they are able to hear the gases that Bloat
Produces. This was not done with my second dog and he was sent home with antibiotics and by the
Time the Vet confirmed that it was Bloat five hours later, my beautiful boy Zak died after having the
Operation too late. The Bloat was extreme in both Kaz and Zak and sent them both into deep shock.
When they died their bodies were twice their size.

When I saw the above symptoms in my boy Troy, I immediately took him to my Vets and told them I
Believed it was bloat and they confirmed that it was, and within one hour he had the operation and they saved His life.

Be persistent with your Vet if you believe it is bloat and make sure they check the stomach with a
Stefascope - do not make my mistake by allowing an inexperienced Vet to send
Them home with antibiotics.

Vets can also detect Bloat through an X Ray.

To this day - I miss Kaz and Zak and am so sorry I did not understand this condition.

I sincerely hope my story will help all pet owners to be aware of this condition.

Although Vets do not know what causes Bloat - Exercising your dog and then feeding it, either before or after that exercise (whether it be playing or walking) CAN twist the Gut causing Bloat. They recommend
You DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG ON TOP OF SUCH EXERCISING and that YOU WAIT ONE HOUR
BEFORE FEEDING them, BEFORE OR AFTER A WALK.

Regards,

Bev

#344952 - 08/20/17 08:59 AM Re: Bloat [Re: 3K9Mom]
jlstudent1970 Offline

I was reading these posts and I am worried because my gsd is belching. sometimes after he eats and once in awhile at night he is restless and then lets out a burp and goes back to sleep. Is this normal??

#344957 - 08/20/17 01:07 PM Re: Bloat [Re: jlstudent1970]
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Belching is good. So is "passing gas". All counter-indicative of bloat.

With bloat, the gut will feel tight, the dog will be restless and likely will try to vomit but have no success. Talk to your vet about it. You'll feel better after that conversation.

#344960 - 08/20/17 02:51 PM Re: Bloat [Re: middleofnowhere]
jlstudent1970 Offline

thank you for replying, I feel better. I forgot to mention I am in the transition period of switching dog food also. He is eating Fromm and I am trying Dr. Gary's best breed. The reason for the switch is that with the fromm he can eat 4 cups a day and don't gain weight, plus stools are okay, somewhat orange inside. Since adding dr garys his stool is brown and firm.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
December 2017 Photo Contest Entries.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
07:47 PM
Comments for December 2017 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
07:37 PM
More snow
by Sylv
02:07 PM
Excavation
by Woodreb
12/10/17 07:40 PM
First CT Snow
by Woodreb
12/10/17 05:26 PM
Snow dogs.... In North Georgia
by SouthernThistle
12/08/17 01:52 PM
Activated Charcoal for Chronic Pancreatitis?
by Kamahi
12/08/17 01:19 AM
My Dear Shoshi
by Shilohsmom
12/06/17 06:17 PM
Welcome Home Neilla
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
12/06/17 03:02 PM
Odin: he's home and full of sass
by SouthernThistle
12/03/17 03:48 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish members!
by Braverhund
09:51 PM
"I CAN:T Believe it happened again"
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:33 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom
12/01/17 10:20 PM
Holidays in December
by Shilohsmom
11/27/17 11:07 PM
Thanksgiving Plans anyone?
by Shilohsmom
11/18/17 09:51 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
BaneGSD, Zion, Susan dawn, Po32273, Storm, Jalena4, Lemonfield1, Dysie, Dan Wolf, Kimbe's 3
2864 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2864 Members
100 Forums
20332 Topics
324498 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts