Page 48 of 183 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 182 183 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99202 - 10/28/10 11:41 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
myamom Offline
Veteran

Loc: PA
I'm SORRY! Such a whirlwind day!!

Vet thinks this is all pain related...he even thinks the stressed breathing is a manifestation of her pain. He does believe it's her hips. I asked about it possibly being her mammary tumor. It was noted that it is slightly infected...but he did not think it was enough to cause the intense pain she is in. He really thinks it's her hips.
The antiobiotic she is on should take care of her slight infection. She was put on previcox for her hip pain...and we'll see if this is the ticket.
She was also dehydrated...her gums were very tacky..so we have cut her back on her diuretic. (explains her excessive drinking)
She weighed in at 69 lbs. today!!
I had blood work done...will get results this weekend.

I am praying this is the answer..hips. It's so much better than some of the other dreadful things that ran through my mind.

Previcox should be monitored with frequent blood work due to it possibly affecting the liver. But he said he really wouldn't bother as if it's working for her...her quality of life is what is important now....so it's not like we would stop giving it....because...what he is trying to tell me is..she doesn't have long anyway...so quality is what we are going for...

that made me sad...thoughts on this? I hate thinking in those terms frown

Baby steps...my next goal for Cheyenne is CHRISTMAS!

Top Likes: 0 
#99210 - 10/29/10 12:04 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: myamom]
lorio Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thank goodness for this report Mary Ann. Now I can go to sleep! :-) Seriously, I really hope it's something that can be managed with better pain meds. Like you, I was worried that there were too many other things going wrong, causing the pain/heavy breathing, etc.

PS - I can't wait to see Chey dressed up in her Christmas digs! Sweet dreams to both of you - I know it's been an exhausting day, both physically and emotionally.

Kaspar-9 yr WGSD
Nixie-7 Qyr GSD
Ayden-7 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)

#99212 - 10/29/10 12:08 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: myamom]
matsired Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts
"I am praying this is the answer..hips. It's so much better than some of the other dreadful things that ran through my mind."

No matter what or where the pain is, the bottom line is that it is being treated appropriately now. Someone mentioned sending Cheyenne a harness, and that is a wonderful idea. I managed Sherman this way-high doses of pain meds, antiinflammatory meds, bedrest, and a harness. I think harnesses are way under-rated. A good harness will help protect Cheyenne from re-injuring herself. Her muscular-skeletal system will be all out of alignment due to compensating for the pain, and a harness will help with this.

Not sure what kind of bedding she is sleeping on, but anything along the lines of memory foam will also help. Something that will help support her hips as well as keep her warm.

And joint supplements of course. I've had lame seniors get up and run within weeks of starting them.

Volunteer work: http://gsrne.org/

'Nannie Millie' book: http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.aspx?bookid=55245

#99219 - 10/29/10 12:18 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: matsired]
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Loc: Wisconsin
Mary Ann I hope that the Previcox is the ticket to her pain. Did you talk with the Vet about just leaving her on ABX instead of on again off again and she spirals downward? My feeling is that if you can get the pain knocked down to a tolerable level for her she will have more energy to stay with you. Pain drains energy and it just to damn hard to want to fight.

I hope you and Cheyenne can get a good nights sleep. I hope the pain meds work and she feels sassy enough to nip you in the tush again.
Sending positive thoughts to Cheyenne.

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11

#99224 - 10/29/10 12:39 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val]
katieliz Offline
Old Hand

Loc: york township, MI
previcox helped the shepster alot...glad to read your update, so far so good...one day at a time. bless your heart dear granny chey.
voodoo lily (dsh)
cricket-the-bird (african grey parrot)RIP-2013
RIP hearthside's cinderfella (4/20/09)
RIP shep von bellefontaine (6/9/10)

#99227 - 10/29/10 12:46 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: myamom]
matsired Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts
"....because...what he is trying to tell me is..she doesn't have long anyway...so quality is what we are going for...that made me sad...thoughts on this? I hate thinking in those terms.

Baby steps...my next goal for Cheyenne is CHRISTMAS!"

Maryann,

My first thought is this. With dogs like Cheyenne (and my Chewbacca, Millie, Sherman, and now Sophie), every new day is a blessing. There are days when we can rejoice, but then there are many days when all we can do is pray. It goes with the territory.

My second thought is this. Remember the life Cheyenne came from, and envision how her life would have ended had you not stepped up for her. Remember the goals you established for her when you brought her home, to provide her with the best quality life possible, however long that may be. You have made a tremendous difference in her life, Maryann. You are her hero.

My third thought is this. Christmas is a good goal, as long as you can keep perspective. For example, with my Millie, I had our annual picnic as a goal. Two days prior, I realized, Millie couldn't comfortably make it that far. She was ready to cross the bridge before I was ready to let her go. That was very hard for me. Fearing I would lose perspective, I reached out for help with this, and in the end, I was able to put her needs ahead of my own, and let her go on her terms.

You've done a really, REALLY good job with Cheyenne. Good nurse and good friend. Recognizing our limitations and reaching out for answers and support makes us very strong advocates. She is very blessed.

Volunteer work: http://gsrne.org/

'Nannie Millie' book: http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/bookdisplay.aspx?bookid=55245

#99254 - 10/29/10 07:44 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: matsired]
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Queensland. Australia
I hope the new meds work well and fast for beautiful Chey. hugging to you both.
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.

#99295 - 10/29/10 11:08 AM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: bianca]
cainsmomma Offline
Addict

Loc: Kentucky
Hey Mary Ann, thanks for replying to my email. I was so worried last night.
I tracked the harness....coming Fed-x.....says scheduled delivery is Sat. It is not a real expensive one, but I'm hoping it can help her. Is there any way your hubby could build some kind of a ramp for her to get in and out? Seems like that would be easier to manuver than stairs. Also, I will keep trying to get the video Cain did for Cheyenne uploaded this weekend. Continued prayers for you all!
Jaxx - GSD
Tisha - GSD
Josh - GSD
Sammy - Shar-pei
Tyson - Boxer
Maggie - Minature Schnauzer 6/1998 - 1/2012
My Cain - WGSD 7/2000 - 6/2014

#99308 - 10/29/10 12:02 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: cainsmomma]
Mary Jane Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Mary Ann,

Cheyenne is loving every minute of her life with you and your wonderful family-every single day is a gift. You both know that.

Thanks very much for the update-so many people care so much about her.

Mary Jane

#99500 - 10/29/10 07:22 PM Re: My new foster - Cheyenne [Re: Mary Jane]
myamom Offline
Veteran

Loc: PA
THE OLD CHEYENNE IS BACK!!

Page 48 of 183 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 182 183 >

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Confirmed Chest Mass (Kamahi)
by weplaytowin
06/17/18 06:06 PM
5 month old American Showline walking funny
by Duality
06/14/18 03:55 PM
"It just imploded Mom"
by Shilohsmom
06/08/18 08:14 PM
Mars
by Mary Jane
06/07/18 07:16 PM
Bennie, the 12 1/2% GSD and friends
by PositiveDog
06/05/18 10:43 PM
June 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:36 AM
Comments for the June 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val
06/02/18 10:32 AM
Canít Gain Weight
by beaurowdy17
06/01/18 07:21 PM
Kody bear
by Shilohsmom
05/30/18 10:12 PM
Jenna
by Selzer
05/28/18 02:36 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Changes at home
by Zisso
01:55 PM
To all pet owners
by Shilohsmom
06/10/18 04:21 PM
We've lost Arycest
by Islandgsds
06/06/18 01:05 PM
help weed killer questions
by jlstudent1970
04/26/18 02:45 PM
How are You?
by Shilohsmom
03/22/18 07:40 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Affiliate Link
Newest Members
tajinder, Duality, sstepanek, Hamza, beaurowdy17, Kat Stanton, Pirates Lair, Majorís Mom, Ben1984, Kprice
2900 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2900 Members
100 Forums
20459 Topics
326120 Posts

Max Online: 137 @ 01/07/16 07:28 PM
Amazon Prooducts